PDA

View Full Version : Street luge. How do I get into it?

Spooph
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvam9BhUL10

Anybody know anything about this stuff goings on here? Maybe with a board which I could try on a small hill?

MetaLord 9
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Talk to Snowman (Randall). He used to be a luger back in his youth and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Snowman
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Certain death riding 2" above the asphalt on an 8' aluminum spear at 85mph!
Ah, Yes to be 36 again...

Oh and Biker Sherlock is a wuss.. :)

rybo
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Oh and Biker Sherlock is a wuss.. :)

Tell us how you REALLY feel :)

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
"Go that way, REALLY fast. If something gets in your way..... turn."

Snowman
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Tell us how you REALLY feel :)60 of us had to qualify for 4 spots in 99 X-Games (which none of us found out about until we had arrived at the qualifier), but Biker and his "buds" got a free pass because daddy was a TV executive...

Damn, can I hold a grudge or what. :up:

Street Luge in San Fransisco - USA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AiN7mHp1eY&NR=1&feature=fvwp)
Street Luge - World Speed Record 157.41km/h (97mph) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmcG6FW8Dv8)

Spooph
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
This is all fascinating.... But any info on luging in CO? Where do I find boards? Where do I go? I'm assuming I'll be playing in traffic, is that expected? What type of tickets do I stand to get? I'm assuming speeding tickets are a norm? I'm assuming track gear will be good enough, except maybe for boots, what would be a good option for that?

Zach929rr
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 10:11 AM
There is a guy on the board that does the stand-up speedboarding. Can't remember his screen name now though. They go down Lookout a lot and def. wear full leathers, helmet, boots.

Snowman
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 10:19 AM
This is all fascinating.... But any info on luging in CO? I have not heard of many still riding in Colorado. There was a team about 4 years ago that was making videos up on Loveland pass, but I don't think they are still around anymore.

Where do I find boards? You build your own. Luge's are typically custom fit in order to reduce speed wobble. Anything you find on ebay may not fit you.

Where do I go? I'm assuming I'll be playing in traffic, is that expected? There are plenty of roads to ride with little to no traffic where you can reach speeds in excess 70 mph. If you want to start out there are side walks where you can get up to 45mph.

What type of tickets do I stand to get? I'm assuming speeding tickets are a norm? 42-4-109 - Motorized bicycles, animals, skis, skates, and toy vehicles on highways. A street luge is considered by the Jefferson County Sheriff Office as a toy vehicle. (Yes there is a story behind that one.) $18.00 fine.

I'm assuming track gear will be good enough, except maybe for boots, what would be a good option for that?You typically wear a full leather suit and back protector, some heavy gloves, an old style snow mobile helmet and a pair of nikes with tire tread glued on the soles.

The book to get is Street Luge Survival Guide by Darren Lott.
This guy is level headed about the sport and knows his stuff.

If you are really interested I can take you out... I just have to get my gear setup again.

Keyser Soze
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
"Go that way, REALLY fast. If something gets in your way..... turn."

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?

King Nothing
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Talk to Snowman (Randall). He used to be a luger back in his youth and might be able to point you in the right direction.
They had paved roads back then?

Snowman
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 10:48 AM
^^^ Well you know gravity had just been invented and we were looking for something fun to do with it.

MetaLord 9
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM
^^^ Well you know gravity had just been invented and we were looking for something fun to do with it.
Get bored of dropping apples on Newton's head?

Spooph
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 03:26 PM
whahaha, K, book is ordered. I'd love to see your gear Snowman, if not give it a go - if its not too much of an inconvenience, that is. Let me know, eh?

TFOGGuys
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvam9BhUL10

Anybody know anything about this stuff goings on here? Maybe with a board which I could try on a small hill?

I believe the first step is to unscrew the top of your head and remove your brain. You won't be needing it to participate.

Red Bull and LSD would seem to be the appropriate dietary supplements.

Spooph
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I believe the first step is to unscrew the top of your head and remove your brain. You won't be needing it to participate.

Red Bull and LSD would seem to be the appropriate dietary supplements.

Check, I'll get right on it. Anybody have a recipe for LSD? :cheers:

Bashed
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Check, I'll get right on it. Anybody have a recipe for LSD? :cheers:

Yes, but I seemed to of misplaced it in the late 70's.
Really!

Snowman
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 07:50 AM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205782_10150256827960278_579120277_9098491_2424442 _n.jpg I think we have a new hooked rider...

Spooph
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 08:18 AM
yup, it was a blast!