PDA

View Full Version : Tire reading/Suspension adjustments

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Most of us are street riders, with either commuting or spirited canyon runs racking up most of our mileage, maybe with a few trackdays in the mix. I was wondering if there is any decent info or resources out there covering reading tires and making certain adjustment to correct odd tire wear. Some of this was covered in Scer's tire seminar a few weeks ago, but I know I wasn't taking notes, and figured I'd throw it out there.

This (http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html) covers some extreme conditions, but doesn't really give much insight for correction. And I don't know of too many people running into cold tear issues on the street.

This (http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/cupping/index.htm) is another often quoted resource, but I'm sure there has to be a better solution to "cupping" rather than slowing down and running harder compound tires

This (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2982) is a good overview of basic suspension adjustments, but again, things that are very evident under more agressive track riding conditions, rarely rear their ugly heads on the street.

I am looking for slightly more advanced guidlines, assuming you have a pressure gauge for your tires, and have the springs and sag set for your weight... People often look at the tread sips to get a feel for rebound adjustment, but depending on which side of the sip, either leading or trailing edge, is raised or curling up, which way should you adjust the clickers?

The ultimate solution would be to talk to a suspension guru, but I like to tinker with stuff myself, and if I can get it close enough myself, then it would most liekly be good enough for the street.

Anybody have any go-to resources they use, or any insight they can shed on this stuff?

Lomax
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but,

I have always tried to set up tires so that there is a 10% pressure increase from cold to warm. If it is less than 10% then the tire is over inflated and if more than 10% then it is under inflated.

For example if you set the pressure to 30lbs cold it should read 33lbs warm.

Just my two cents.

Marc

asp_125
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Lots of good video info from Dave Moss

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=dave+moss+suspension+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=dave+moss+suspension+youtube&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnso&source=univ&tbm=vid&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=85aSTbyTK5G2sAPUnrjHBQ&ved=0CCsQqwQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=cd3e3faffc6e88a7

Scer
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 09:53 PM
...I am looking for slightly more advanced guidlines, assuming you have a pressure gauge for your tires, and have the springs and sag set for your weight... People often look at the tread sips to get a feel for rebound adjustment, but depending on which side of the sip, either leading or trailing edge, is raised or curling up, which way should you adjust the clickers? ..

Well, now it's obvious that someone just came for the free food. :P Actually we did cover this in the seminar Dave.

If your Front (or leading) edge of the tire is raised, cupped, scalloped or whatever you would like to call it, then that means that the rebound is not "fast" enough. The slow response for the suspension to react in the upward motion essentially pushes the front edge down and then almost digs into the trailing edge. Thus why the following edge is usually lower and worn more than the rest of the tire.

Opposite is true in the case that the following or rear edge is raised, cupped etc.

If a tire has feathering, cupping etc.. on the front edge of the tread and then switches to the rear edge on another part of the tire, that means your shock valving is "off" and needs to be looked. It's not responding like a shock should and most likely won't no matter what you do to it. (edit: short of taking it apart to service it)

Hopefully I can get some sort of reference in place, but until then, feel free to ask away. If I don't know the answer, I am sure I know someone that does. :)

play on playas

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 29th, 2011, 10:50 PM
thanks man...Thats what I thought I remembered, but wasn't sure, and I figured it might be helpful info to have in a public forum...until I remembered that no one actually rides in the CSC ;)

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I like tinker with stuff

leave me the hell out of this dammit :leghump:

BC14
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Well, now it's obvious that someone just came for the free food. :P Actually we did cover this in the seminar Dave.

If your Front (or leading) edge of the tire is raised, cupped, scalloped or whatever you would like to call it, then that means that the rebound is not "fast" enough. The slow response for the suspension to react in the upward motion essentially pushes the front edge down and then almost digs into the trailing edge. Thus why the following edge is usually lower and worn more than the rest of the tire.

Opposite is true in the case that the following or rear edge is raised, cupped etc.

If a tire has feathering, cupping etc.. on the front edge of the tread and then switches to the rear edge on another part of the tire, that means your shock valving is "off" and needs to be looked. It's not responding like a shock should and most likely won't no matter what you do to it. (edit: short of taking it apart to service it)

Hopefully I can get some sort of reference in place, but until then, feel free to ask away. If I don't know the answer, I am sure I know someone that does. :)

play on playas

Looks like my land yacht needs a bit of a rebound adjustment. Thanks for the info.

asp_125
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Looks like my land yacht needs a bit of a rebound adjustment. Thanks for the info.

Me too :(

Ted
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Here is my addition ( from Dave Moss) . Hopefully it still works. (For those who care, I am on a linux machine and my plugin ain't working this morning for whatever reason.) Video is long. I high recommend lots of pop corn with no butter. Enjoy

http://www.onthethrottle.com/howto/dave-moss-unsprung-tire-wear

OUTLAWD
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Here is my addition ( from Dave Moss) . Hopefully it still works. (For those who care, I am on a linux machine and my plugin ain't working this morning for whatever reason.) Video is long. I high recommend lots of pop corn with no butter. Enjoy

http://www.onthethrottle.com/howto/dave-moss-unsprung-tire-wear

:up:

OUTLAWD
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 08:31 PM
If your Front (or leading) edge of the tire is raised, cupped, scalloped or whatever you would like to call it...

does this same thinking go for the front as well?

my rear is looking good :shock:, now its time to do something to fix the front...

Scer
Sat Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
in a word...yep!

fix on fixas!