PDA

View Full Version : for the military motorcycle riders

usmcab35
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 10:39 AM
ive heard everything about if you dont wear your gear or reflective vest while riding your life insurance wont be paid out if you die in a wreck.

well im taking a admin class that is horrible but one of the things they showed us was the rumor mill about the sgli on this website

http://www.insurance.va.gov/sgliSite/SGLI/mythsRumors.htm

they will still pay out even if you were wearing a helmet.
now in no way am i saying that you shouldnt wear all your gear but I thought i would pass the info so everyone isnt beliving nonsense that gets passed around..

CaneZach
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM
ive heard everything about if you dont wear your gear or reflective vest while riding your life insurance wont be paid out if you die in a wreck.

well im taking a admin class that is horrible but one of the things they showed us was the rumor mill about the sgli on this website

http://www.insurance.va.gov/sgliSite/SGLI/mythsRumors.htm

they will still pay out even if you were wearing a helmet.
now in no way am i saying that you shouldnt wear all your gear but I thought i would pass the info so everyone isnt beliving nonsense that gets passed around..

They SHOULD pay if you were wearing a helmet

pauliep
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I heard two Marines on motorcycles bought it just recently in the San Diego area. Haven't seen the news report for it. Debate went into the circumstances since a multiple rider situation sounds awkward. But in conversation, one of the Marines here was under the same impression of that rumor about PPE and SGLI not being paid out. Asnwer is, yea it's just a rumor and put out to push the agenda of wearing PPE.

TransNone13
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info!

Sarge
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 12:11 PM
SGLI is one thing, the real kicker is whether or not they'll pay out medical expenses for not wearing PPE, if you DON'T die. That's an ENTIRELY different issue, and one that I think is accurate. I've got a Policy Letter right in front of me that says a Line of Duty investigation will be done for all motorcycle accidents, and that they can choose not to pay out. Soo, in that case you might want to make sure your Bike insurance covers bodily injury to yourself, even in single vehicle accidents, just in case the Army wants to screw you over for wearing a full bright white track suit and no reflective vest in the middle of the day.

usmcab35
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM
SGLI is one thing, the real kicker is whether or not they'll pay out medical expenses for not wearing PPE, if you DON'T die. That's an ENTIRELY different issue, and one that I think is accurate. I've got a Policy Letter right in front of me that says a Line of Duty investigation will be done for all motorcycle accidents, and that they can choose not to pay out. Soo, in that case you might want to make sure your Bike insurance covers bodily injury to yourself, even in single vehicle accidents, just in case the Army wants to screw you over for wearing a full bright white track suit and no reflective vest in the middle of the day.

i meant if my first post to say that they will still pay even if no helmet. yea the lod thing is different, for me im active so i get covered for anything no matter what when it comes to care. that mostly applies to part time, or as we in the guard call M-Day, the ones who only drill once a month and dont have full tricare coverage.. am i wrong in that accumption?

Sarge
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM
i meant if my first post to say that they will still pay even if no helmet. yea the lod thing is different, for me im active so i get covered for anything no matter what when it comes to care. that mostly applies to part time, or as we in the guard call M-Day, the ones who only drill once a month and dont have full tricare coverage.. am i wrong in that accumption?

Yeah, the LOD applies to everyone. I'm Active Duty and if I wreck without a helmet and survive (I NEVER ride without a helmet) then the Army can choose to send me the bill for the ER stay.

usmcab35
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 01:13 PM
hmm now i see what your saying, guess i might up my motorcycle policy just in case..

kevplus2
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 10:49 PM
although it is supervised by the dept of veteran's affairs, it is civilian life insurance, just like any other life insurance (actually administered by prudential). the dept of va has no say in what is or is not paid out and there are no stipulations in the policy stating they wont pay out if you dont follow a set of rules set forth my the dept of va

now your medical bills...yea they can find your injuries as being "not in the line of duty" if you werent wearing the proper gear and incidentally bill you for it

usmcab35
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 08:23 AM
yea i knew it was thru prudential, i was just trying to debunk all the water cooler rumors that i always here... thanks for the info kevplus2

THoward
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 11:18 AM
A note of interest. Colorado has closed this loophole, but other states have not. Make sure your private medical/bike insurance will cover your expenses if you are in an accident. In some states they will tell you that you are covered for a motorcycle accident, however they can refuse to pay out any medical on you. Question when you get your policy!!! As I said Colorado closed this loophole so they cannot refuse benefits for a motorcycle accident. I posted this so the military riders will be aware if they are in another state.

Think
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 09:33 PM
My buddy who wrecked a couple months back didn't have the MSF course and was outside the pass radius from post was threatened with having to pay his medical bills for $20k+. He hasn't ended up having to pay for it, but it seemed like a pretty real threat at the time.

The military is eventually going to require all its personnel to wear a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads just walking around when off duty.

JohnEffinK
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 09:42 PM
The military is eventually going to require all its personnel to wear a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads just walking around when off duty.

Dont forget the reflective PT belt......

Thank god I have done my time and am retiring with transition leave starting 9 Sep!

John

Think
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 09:52 PM
Dont forget the reflective PT belt......

Thank god I have done my time and am retiring with transition leave starting 9 Sep!

John
I thought that was a given considering we wear it for just about everything else already.

JohnEffinK
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 10:01 PM
I thought that was a given considering we wear it for just about everything else already.

True dat. I am just old and senile!

John