PDA

View Full Version : Clutch help

200sr20
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:00 AM
So I just finished installing new clutch discs in my 02 and when I pull the lever to release the clutch I get a rattling noise. I used the EBC OEM spec friction plates(soaked for a couple days before installing) and reused the steels. Everything is in the right order and tourqued to spec accordint to the Yamaha manuel. I pulled the cover back odd and took everything back out including the basket, and can't seem to find anything wrong. Also I am using 20w50 non synthetic oil, which is what I have always used in it. Any thoughts?

MetaLord 9
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Did you accidentally buy the Ducati clutch parts?

salsashark
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM
:pointlaugh:

I have nothing to add here but that was funny...

dragos13
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Did you replace the springs? Any chance you measured the complete clutch stack to make sure its within spec?

Reusing parts can definitely cause problems. Does the rattle increase with RPM's? Go away when the clutch is engaged?

200sr20
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Did you accidentally buy the Ducati clutch parts?

I knew something didn't look right.....

200sr20
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Did you replace the springs? Any chance you measured the complete clutch stack to make sure its within spec?

Reusing parts can definitely cause problems. Does the rattle increase with RPM's? Go away when the clutch is engaged?

Every thing I had read said that reusing the steels was ok. I am actually getting ready to pull it back out and measure the plates.

It does increase with RPMs and doesn't rattle at all when the clutch is engaged

Devaclis
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Did you put the inside and outside washers back on facing the correct direction? They are concave and need to be installed right.

dragos13
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Double check the entire stack size and also measure the springs. Let me know if those two measurements are within spec.

Reusing steels is ok so long as they are in good condition. When clutch plates wear thin, they get heated up more and have a chance of warping. I don't think that would cause the rattle noise though.

200sr20
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Did you put the inside and outside washers back on facing the correct direction? They are concave and need to be installed right.

I know they are in the right order. and I'm pretty sure the damper spring washer is in the right direction. If your looking at the clutch assembly the ingide of the spring is raised out towards you.

Double check the entire stack size and also measure the springs. Let me know if those two measurements are within spec.

Reusing steels is ok so long as they are in good condition. When clutch plates wear thin, they get heated up more and have a chance of warping. I don't think that would cause the rattle noise though.

The stack without the two held in by the wire is 32.4mm and the steels are all between .94-.98mm> I can pull the other two plates if those need to be measured too.

dragos13
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I know they are in the right order. and I'm pretty sure the damper spring washer is in the right direction. If your looking at the clutch assembly the ingide of the spring is raised out towards you.

The stack without the two held in by the wire is 32.4mm and the steels are all between .94-.98mm> I can pull the other two plates if those need to be measured too.

Held in by wire? I never heard of that and don't recall that on my old 99.

The manual I just downloaded doesn't show the full clutch stack specs which is unfortunate. If the frictions are new, they should be good. Usually you get two different size frictions that go in first and last to make up the overall adjustment. I guess this still wouldn't cause a rattling noise.

Measure each spring they should be between 54-55mm. If out of spec, replace. Also make sure all the dots are lined up on the clutch housing and clutch pressuer plate.

200sr20
Wed Mar 30th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I am getting so damn pissed. I have had the clutch assembly in and out 5 times now and I have no idea what is wrong. Everything look good and is in right....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

200sr20
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 09:32 AM
Wohoo I figured it out this morning!! She is up and running

dragos13
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Well what was it???

200sr20
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 10:23 AM
Apparently the clutch basket wasn't sitting on the oil pump drive quite right which made everythig go in wrong.

Ricky
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 10:54 AM
Nice! 6th time's the charm, eh?

200sr20
Thu Mar 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Nice! 6th time's the charm, eh?

Yeah that was a little ridiculous