PDA

View Full Version : Which Exhaust Do You Like?

R6biker122
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 01:17 AM
Hey guys, thinking about buying an exhaust very soon. Just wondering what guys have on your bike.

I'm looking for a slip on pipe that has a nice bass mean sound:w00t:, but still screams at the high rpms. The devil pipe is something of interest as well as the Leo Vince, and Two brothers.

rybo
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 06:03 AM
I've had a bunch of Leo Vince stuff over the years and can say the following things about them

1) The US customer service is very good. They have always taken very good care of me.

2) The parts fit. They are well engineered and the instructions for installation are quite good.

I've been nothing but impressed by them and feel good about spending my money with 'em.

S

vort3xr6
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 07:42 AM
Stay away from 2 Bros, or Yosh if you are looking for a Bass sound.

My recommendations?

1. Akrapovic
2. Leo Vince
3. Arata

But seriously, the Akrapovic is the best sounding pipe I have ever heard for any bike.

Joe
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 07:48 AM
I like the factory exhaust.
The City of Denver does too.
It's quiet and doesn't piss off neighbors, and it keeps the authorities attention off of you.

But... if your mom didn't hug you enough when you were a kid, then go for it.

dragos13
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 08:11 AM
I had the full Akropovic Evo on my race bike. It's one of the best exhausts for power on the R6, but its pretty pricey. Don't know much about the slipon version...

MetaLord 9
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 08:15 AM
My Akropovic slip-on definitely lightened up the bike and gave me a little more HP. I'm on an '07 ZX-6R and it didn't make the bike much louder, but still louder than stock...which was like a sowing machine.

jbnwc
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 08:21 AM
+1 for Akrapovic. Deep and throaty without being obnoxious. But my Yosh RS3 had a very deep growl as well. I've liked the sound of every Yosh pipe I've heard.

Avoid D&D like the plague. In my opinion, Vance&Hines pipes that I've heard usually have a very high pitch.

OUTLAWD
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM
It's quiet and doesn't piss off neighbors, and it keeps the authorities attention off of you.

this

but the full yosh RS-3 on my gixxer sounds good and isn't obnoxious

MetaLord 9
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM
+1 for Akrapovic. Deep and throaty without being obnoxious.
Agree. It's enough of a pitch change, weight savings, and performance increase without needing to be a look at me look at me pipe

Tacheny
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
+1 Yosh, Akra, Leo.
+10000 Stay away from 2 bros. Might as well gut your stock exhaust or chop it off and put an autozone tip on there. M4 is also LOUD as f*ck.

It all really depends on how much you want to spend and how loud you want to be.

oh10raven
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM
My Yoshi's on my R1 sound great. It's way more of deep sound than a high pitched screamer, but I think it's more of a result of the 09'+ crossplane.

If you've got the cash though, Akra's are sweeeet.

matt2778
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
I have a m4 full system was a good price and makes good power but is super loud

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM
Guess the 2Bros haters haven't heard my R1. :eyebrows:

R6biker122
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 01:28 PM

Joe, you might want to read the above question as to what i was looking for. It seems as though u missed it completely. I don't like the quiet exhaust, people on the road cannot hear me. Its unsafe, and not as fun.

Thanks for all your feedback. I like the two bros. I have heard it on a gsxr and it sounded like it had a very nice bass sound. I don't want a pipe that is too look at me look at me. Like not D&D loud. But I am looking for a nice clean bass sound that sounds just as badd ass in the high notes. lol How much did you guys pay for your LEO VINCE? Im very interested in that pipe.

Joe
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joe, you might want to read the above question as to what i was looking for. It seems as though u missed it completely. I don't like the quit exhaust, people on the road cannot hear me. Its unsafe, and not as fun.

Nope, I understood your question perfectly.

Bueller
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM
I can guarantee Joe knew what you were talking about and read your post. He is saying no matter what your aftermarket exhaust is illegal in the city and county of Denver.
Stock is not unsafe, riders are the problem. I have ridden with stock and aftermarket loud exhausts and it just is not the life saver that people try to make them out to be. Learn how to ride in traffic and save your own life. Loud annoying exhausts will get more rules and regulations shoved down our throats as is evidenced with the current noise regulations both on and off road.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6689&highlight=aftermarket+exhaust

OUTLAWD
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
loud pipes give headaches ;)

Spiderman
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM

+1 ... here's why: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6689

Jim_Vess
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM
Leo Vince SBK. I got mine from 303Cycle.

With the quiet baffle in there, it is no louder than stock, but has a deeper tone.

Spiderman
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 01:55 PM
I don't like the quiet exhaust, people on the road cannot hear me. Its unsafe, and not as fun.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_w2cOsPw-lJ4/Sqvv15JX19I/AAAAAAAADIA/ca-T_VhSHx0/s400/T-Shirt+1+Back+PJ.jpg

R6biker122
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Guys, i think many of you are misunderstanding where i am coming from. First of all, I am not looking to be an obnoxious loud rider, bringing attention to my bike all the time. I would simply like an exhaust that sounds a little louder than the stock pipe. Keeping the stock pipe on my R6 is not going to happen so stop telling me to do so.. I would enjoy having a pipe that has a meaner sound but still can be quiet in neighborhoods and such. My goal once again is not to tarnish the public's view of sportbike riders. I consider myself to be a great rider already with many seasons of experience. I don't get the theory of people saying that just because someone would like an aftermarket pipe means they can't ride. This is ridiculous..
Isan't it true one can get a pipe that is not abonoxious, that sounds better, increasing the fun meter ten fold? If you're a courteous aware rider respecting the cars around you, how can a little more Db's hurt you? Just like riding with your brights during the daytime helps save lives, i think it is fair to say that a little more noise may be effective as well. Anything that appeals to the senses to let somone know you're around. Now once again... not talking about getting a D&D pipe.. Everything in moderation.

asp_125
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM
:horse::horse:

jbnwc
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
Guys, i think many of you are misunderstanding where i am coming from. First of all, I am not looking to be an obnoxious loud rider, bringing attention to my bike all the time. I would simply like an exhaust that sounds a little louder than the stock pipe. Keeping the stock pipe on my R6 is not going to happen so stop telling me to do so.. I would enjoy having a pipe that has a meaner sound but still can be quiet in neighborhoods and such. My goal once again is not to tarnish the public's view of sportbike riders. I consider myself to be a great rider already with many seasons of experience. I don't get the theory of people saying that just because someone would like an aftermarket pipe means they can't ride. This is ridiculous..
Isan't it true one can get a pipe that is not abonoxious, that sounds better, increasing the fun meter ten fold? If you're a courteous aware rider respecting the cars around you, how can a little more Db's hurt you? Just like riding with your brights during the daytime helps save lives, i think it is fair to say that a little more noise may be effective as well. Anything that appeals to the senses to let somone know you're around. Now once again... not talking about getting a D&D pipe.. Everything in moderation.

Are you trying to bring REASON into a conversation on the CSC?! ON A FRIDAY?!?!?

As a biker driving my car home from work one day 2 yrs ago I darn near ran over a stock CBR(I think) while he was hanging in my blind spot on Lincoln Ave because I couldn't see or hear him. If that was you; sorry.

Bueller
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM
You asked for opinions on the internet, and that is what you will get. Many seasons of riding should have put you around many bikes with slipons and you haven't been able to decide on your own?

Spiderman
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 03:20 PM
Keeping the stock pipe on my R6 is not going to happen so stop telling me to do so.
No one's telling you to do anything of the sort. You asked which exhaust we liked, and a couple of people mentioned OEM, and gave their reasons why.

I don't get the theory of people saying that just because someone would like an aftermarket pipe means they can't ride. This is ridiculous.
Wanting an aftermarket pipe does not mean they can't ride... Wanting an aftermarket pipe because they believe "loud pipes save live" means they don't have the skill/training/confidence to operate a motorcycle safely on public roads.

Just like riding with your brights during the daytime helps save lives, i think it is fair to say that a little more noise may be effective as well.See my previous comment.

Now once again... not talking about getting a D&D pipe.. Everything in moderation.
If only everybody had this mentality, then maybe we (as motorcyclists) wouldn't be facing the legislative issues that we are. You sound like you have reasonable wants and expectations, but the next guy wants it a bit louder, and before you know it, you end up with the assclown that's running his R6 with no muffler at all, going down Wadsworth with the flow of morning traffic, making so much noise that it was uncomfortable for me to drive my car near him with the windows down. :guns:

As a biker driving my car home from work one day 2 yrs ago I darn near ran over a stock CBR(I think) while he was hanging in my blind spot on Lincoln Ave because I couldn't see or hear him. If that was you; sorry.
You: Shoulder check.
Biker (ALL Bikers): Don't ride in a car's blind spot!!!

R6biker122
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Spiderman, i hear man. good points. I agree. But still am going for a different sound from the exhaust pipe. Afterall, when i ride with my dad's Harley i can't even hear my damn bike..

bornwildnfree
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
I want an aftermarket exhaust because the cat scraps every time I go over a speed bump and well, the whole exhaust weighs 12 lbs (not that I need more horsepower or anything), but I'd rather it not be louder. Loud pipes don't save lives. Riding skill and paying attention to everything around you saves lives. You usually can't hear a sportbike until after it's passed you. I'm alive today because I paid attention to the stupid lady and knew she was gonna turn in front of me. My friend didn't see her and she killed him cause she didn't see him either. You can do what ever you want to your bike, but making it louder just makes people angry. Get an aftermarket exhaust for the right reasons (weight, or performance), not to add noise on the road.

R6biker122
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM
weight reduction and a little more horses will be nice as well as appreciating the beautiful sound that some of these exhausts are capable of creating. :)

Sarge
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Wellll, just a little back on topic...

I say Akra if you can handle it. I'd probably line up the Leo Vince second. From my experience (limited, mostly internet based) the Leo's are a little louder than the Akra's, but the Akra's sound better and have a somewhat deeper tone. Models with baffles are also a plus.

I've got a set of Akra slipons sitting in my garage (finally get to put them on next weekend!!!!!) and they're dead sexy, VERY well made, but I paid almost $1500 for them. Granted, my bike has dual exhaust and the Slip-ons included a high-flow all metal catalytic converter, but the MSRP on the things is like $2100. (303 Cycle hooked it up, like always.)

One important thing to note about the Akra's, they have a street legal version, which gives almost a7HP boost to my bike and will meet both smog AND noise regulations with the baffles in.

R6biker122
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Wellll, just a little back on topic...

I say Akra if you can handle it. I'd probably line up the Leo Vince second. From my experience (limited, mostly internet based) the Leo's are a little louder than the Akra's, but the Akra's sound better and have a somewhat deeper tone. Models with baffles are also a plus.

I've got a set of Akra slipons sitting in my garage (finally get to put them on next weekend!!!!!) and they're dead sexy, VERY well made, but I paid almost $1500 for them. Granted, my bike has dual exhaust and the Slip-ons included a high-flow all metal catalytic converter, but the MSRP on the things is like $2100. (303 Cycle hooked it up, like always.)

One important thing to note about the Akra's, they have a street legal version, which gives almost a7HP boost to my bike and will meet both smog AND noise regulations with the baffles in.

Yeah, i do like the Akra exhaust. i think they sound good. They seem like they're pretty expensive for full and slip on systems though. Thanks for all the useful advice. I think I will get the LEO vince.

Bueller
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM
From my experience (limited, mostly internet based) the Leo's are a little louder than the Akra's, but the Akra's sound better and have a somewhat deeper tone. Models with baffles are also a plus.

I never really go by what a total stranger tells me, and double that for the internet.

And you have seen this improvement where? On a dyno? Or on paper? From the manufacturer, under ideal circumstances buy a tune tinkered with until they could come up with that? And you bought into it.:leghump:

Sorry, slipons hardly ever deliver that kind of hp gains. The police are looking for the EPA stamp that says that the pipe is the pipe for that particular bike and falls under a certain dba, they really don't care if the literature says it's quite as stock.
The only real gain is the actual weight loss which is substatial but minimal in terms of actual usable performance gain.
If you gain 2 hp actual and lose 7 lbs -(= 1 hp) and you pay $500 for a slip on you are at almost $150 per hp gained at max. Wow sounds like a deal to me.
Get the thing mapped properly for $150 and I bet you get more performance gain especially where you can use it. Spend the rest on track days where you can use it. If you want performance get a full system and get it mapped.

BC14
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Area P for my choice.

Sarge
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM
I never really go by what a total stranger tells me, and double that for the internet.

And you have seen this improvement where? On a dyno? Or on paper? From the manufacturer, under ideal circumstances buy a tune tinkered with until they could come up with that? And you bought into it.:leghump:

http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/ext/user_products/mod1/uploads/products/slip_on_street_legal_exhaust_system_for_the_aprili a_rsv_mille_1000_2007_2009_/ap_rsvmille_so_2007-2009_diag.jpg

http://www.akrapovic.com/motorcycle-exhaust/products/aprilia/model/rsv-mille-2007/slip-on-1/

And the "experience" wasn't based on what people on the Interwebs told me. Just hit up youtube and you can find hundreds of videos of different bikes with different exhausts on them, and you can find all sorts of people who DO have dyno results showing the HP gains, etc, and I'm combining the exhaust with a PC-V and high flow intake, which will absolutely give me a greater than 6 HP gain when everythings tuned in right, and I wouldn't be able to do all that stock.

Tylar
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM
I love my stock exhaust. I really enjoy the fact that for one-tenth of the cost of the "ideal" exhaust, I was able to re-baffle the mufflers and get a sound that I have yet to hear on my year of bike....

I should note that what I saved in money, i spent in beer and frustration with a goose beating the crap out of them trying to get the inserts out....

OUTLAWD
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/ext/user_products/mod1/uploads/products/slip_on_street_legal_exhaust_system_for_the_aprili a_rsv_mille_1000_2007_2009_/ap_rsvmille_so_2007-2009_diag.jpg

what a choppy torque curve...

usmcab35
Fri Apr 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM
I've had a few different pipes on my bikes over the years, I love my full yoshi exhaust better than all. It's got a nice tone but doesn't sound like a straight pipe.

TransNone13
Sat Apr 2nd, 2011, 07:57 AM
You guys are vicious. I have a full Akra EVO and it's not as much as an audible abortion as some of you make it out to be. It also has a removable baffel. It's the same for everything, don't be a tool. Yeah it's loud, when you rev it like a boss. Under normal circumstances, if you keep it under control, it's not that loud. The issue sounds more like an add-on citation for people riding like idiots; if you don't do the latter, it'll preclude the former.

R6biker122
Sat Apr 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
You guys are vicious. I have a full Akra EVO and it's not as much as an audible abortion as some of you make it out to be. It also has a removable baffel. It's the same for everything, don't be a tool. Yeah it's loud, when you rev it like a boss. Under normal circumstances, if you keep it under control, it's not that loud. The issue sounds more like an add-on citation for people riding like idiots; if you don't do the latter, it'll preclude the former.

Ya TransNone, i suspect that it wont be that much louder, just sound a bit different. I'm with ya on that one.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:19 PM
get a cruiser and be done with it. My neighbor stands in his garage throttle tuning his motors for all the neighborhood to hear while hoping to get a hardon he can see past his giant beer gut.

I don't ride for sound and would be happy if my bike was silent.

My bike does have a Yoshi but that's because the previous owner wasted his money on it.

R6biker122
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM
i heard a yosh the other day. they don't seem loud at all. They also seem extremely popular.

vort3xr6
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:38 AM
i heard a yosh the other day. they don't seem loud at all. They also seem extremely popular.

Yosh often have a silencer core. Go on youtube and listen to all the exhaust systems for an R6.