PDA

View Full Version : Very Small Oil Leak

DemonRider
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Ok, so when my bike gets going for a few miles and gets warm I noticed that there are two, yes two very small drops of oil sitting under the bike any ideas? there is also a small amount in fairing area and on the engine,,, im new to this stuff so be Nice:bananna::silly: if you need more info or pics, let me know i'll do whatever it takes...

OUTLAWD
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
I would pull the fairings off and try to trace the source up from where you see the drips, can you confirm that its engine oil? If so, it could be the drain plug, or a banjo bolt for the external engine oil lines, maybe make sure your crankcase vent hose is hooked up, oil cooler fitting (if applicable). Otherwise I am not too familiar with your particular engine. If you have a repair manual, it a labeled picture of the engine might help find some of the oil retaining bolts/fittings.

tecknojoe
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Also look at the oil filter. sometimes they get put on too tight/loose and leak around the edges

Tylar
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:35 AM
On many vehicles I've been the victim of small particles on the drain plug that require me to pull it, again and wipe it off. Just enough crud to cause a very slow and small drop. :scream1:

DemonRider
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
some pic's, it seems to be leaking from a little black rubber grommet with wires going into it???

OUTLAWD
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
its hard to tell once enough oil is spread to collect dirt, so if you clean it all off, then run it again (with the rubber boot pulled back), you should see it start weeping. it will most likely either be the threads, or the sending unit itself is leaking and should be replaced

DemonRider
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
I am assuming this is the "Oil Pressure Switch" ? But is it even possible for Oil to be coming out of this thing?

OUTLAWD
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
the internal seal, sealing the plastic switch to the metal case could potentially leak...but it might also just need to be snugged up

DemonRider
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
ok, I cleaned it all up as shinny as New and letting it run for a few

DemonRider
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
OK, Found it I think... not what I thought it was so far anyway, tightened 1/4 turn and going to try again.... AGAIN assuming this the "Holder Mounting Bolt" ???? reference above Diagram and numbers??

DemonRider
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
:cheers:thanks for leading me into the right Direction:cheers:,,, All is good,,, Leaky bolt, tightened, all good:cheers:,,,,, now too bad its too :cold: and windy!!!

OUTLAWD
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
:up:

bikes are easy...when it comes down to it, its all just nuts and bolts

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Uummmm....it wants to be a Harley when it grows up???? :)

DemonRider
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Uummmm....it wants to be a Harley when it grows up???? :)

Let's hope not,,, hahahahaha,,,

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 02:40 AM
when it comes down to it, its all just nuts and bolts

not sure if bad pun

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 06:49 AM
not sure if bad pun

no pun intended...its the truth