PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitch installed

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
I need to get a hitch put on a 2009 Nissan Rogue. I have called a couple Nissan dealers and they won't touch it. Does anyone have a good and cheap place to go? I need this done ASAP as I need it for this coming weekend. Thanks for any suggestions.

brennahm
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Did they mention your warranty and possibly voiding it? Do you care?

FWIW, the early Tundra's were not allowed to have plows mounted on them or you would void your warranty. I'm sure you already checked, just throwing that out there...

Airreed
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Have you tried Uhaul....I only say this as I've seen many cars with Uhaul hitches.

Sarge
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
+1 on Uhaul. They were the only ones I could find that would do my wife's 2005 Neon, turns out they're also the cheapest and the hitches aren't usually that bad. I had Nissan put the one on my Frontier and paid almost twice as much. (Mostly because I needed the Nissan factory wiring harness, which handles trailer brakes.)

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
I didn't think about asking the dealership regarding the warranty. Thanks for the idea.

I will call U-haul in the morning. I always think of them as renters not installers. Thanks all.

green_zx7r
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
+2 on U-Haul. Had a U-Haul hitch attached to my Nissan Murano. Don't remember exactly how much but it wasn't that expensive. Maybe around $200?

Had it done at a U-Haul garage in Boulder in a couple of hours.

Dietrich_R1
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
1) Def. ask Nissan why they won't do it, even based on the Tow capabilities printed in your auto manual.

2) +1 for U-Haul... you can even negotiate a couple bucks between the dealers for the install. Also, look at what the internet hitches are going 4 to educate ur self.

01' Accord + Hitch = most of the time enough to tow 1 R1

Captain Obvious
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
+3 on Uhaul. They installed on my old Sebring years ago, rewired my Dodge truck when I had issues moving out here (mid-move even).

Be interested to hear what the dealer says about the hitch. I rarely see Volvo S60Rs with hitches, but they haven't said anything to me about voiding my warranty, wonder why a Rouge would be any less suitable.

Wrider
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Be interested to hear what the dealer says about the hitch. I rarely see Volvo S60Rs with hitches, but they haven't said anything to me about voiding my warranty, wonder why a Rouge would be any less suitable.

I'm going with "it's for a 4 banger hooked to a CVT."
Neither are optimal for towing, so chances are they don't want to screw with it and have an unhappy customer.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:28 PM
owners manual should cover towing restrictions. besides, receiver hitches are used for more than just towing boats these days. A cat 1 hitch can be used for bike racks to tailgating party accessories. If a Goldwing or a Roadking can handle a hitch.....

Matt
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM
We bought our Subaru hitch here...

http://www.hitchcorner.com

They offer installation and seemed like a good place.

longrider
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I have used Lampert Hitch several times and have been very satisfied, they list your hitch as available and in stock:

http://www.lamperthitch.com/prodDetail.cfm/3597378,1998-Current%20Frontier%20%20Quest%20%20Rogue,MX1

jbnwc
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Uhaul installed a hitch for me once, but if you go there I would recommend sticking around and getting your hands dirty. They only had one person there to install my hitch and it is definitely at least a two person job. Also, installing a hitch often means removing parts and drilling, so if you want to make sure it gets done with care you should be there to at least supervise.

asp_125
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I'm guessing it's the "4 banger CVT" excuse. They weren't recommending a class III hitch on my Murano either. I went on the Nissan boards and sure enough there were folks towing with it. I tow my bike trailer just fine.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
uhaul is normally a franchise. The services offered, and the quality received can vary widely from one to the next.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I have used Lampert Hitch several times and have been very satisfied, they list your hitch as available and in stock:

http://www.lamperthitch.com/prodDetail.cfm/3597378,1998-Current%20Frontier%20%20Quest%20%20Rogue,MX1
Lampert appears to be the local favorite. When we were looking at fifth wheels, just about every dealer suggested Lampert for the install. I was very impressed to pick up my truck and see that they actually put the right bolts in the right holes. Great price and very friendly, too!

modette99
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Each vehicle is different, my Ford Focus ST the holes the hitch I bought lined up and it was just a matter of putting the bolt through the hole and putting the nut on. So no drilling needed...if you had more time (you should of planned) I would check the Murano boards out and see which hitch people are buying and does the install require any drilling!!!

Kristian
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Max Air off of County Line and Valley Highway 303-706-0000
Hitch Corner near Ken Caryl and 470 303-904-1558

asp_125
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I got the hitch for my Mo' done at Trailersource in wheatridge.
http://www.trailersourceinc.com/

Ricky
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM
+1 for Uhaul. And depending on the vehicle, some just pop right on. I installed mine from uhal on my truck, by myself. $189, lifetime warranty.

Captain Obvious
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I'm guessing it's the "4 banger CVT" excuse. They weren't recommending a class III hitch on my Murano either. I went on the Nissan boards and sure enough there were folks towing with it. I tow my bike trailer just fine.

Pah-shaw! To the likely excuse, not necessarily you. :) People all over the world tow with 4-bangers, we just seem to think we should be able to run down the highway at 75 towing the max vehicle weight.

Sure, it ain't a bumper hitch, but it is a Beetle! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BNMvBnm14o