PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Driver Causes Bike Crash

Finklestein87
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 07:58 PM
http://www.break.com/index/stupid_driver_causes_bike_crash.html

Please watch this video and discuss below.

Driver, Rider, road conditions, speed, etc.

1BadSvt
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Same thing almost happened to the wife and I on HWY83. We ended up 3 wide on a two lane road with me no the white line!

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I've analyzed this vid before. From the shadows, it appears the red car was passing another car. The biker could have been more aware. But the vid is short so it's really hard to tell all the details.

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Looked to me like driver pulled an asshole move, BUT, the rider could have been more cautious about minimizing the opportunity for a driver error/intentional move.

Ride like everyone is trying to kill you. really.

BC14
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Ride like everyone is trying to kill you. Really.

+1. It's saved my a$$ on more than one occasion.

Vellos
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Always be ready for that. I wouldn't be so throttle-happy passing cars when there is zero shoulder room. A van did that on 93 because he didn't see me pull out and I used the oncoming shoulder to pass two cars at the same time. Another time another van swerved in my lane on purpose while I was passing and I had to dart on the right shoulder. No shoulder room for error and I would have been that guy twice.

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM
+1. It's saved my a$$ on more than one occasion.

New riders will be surprised at how much they WON'T be surprised at when practicing that technique. Saved my ass several times too

Vellos
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I've analyzed this vid before. From the shadows, it appears the red car was passing another car. The biker could have been more aware. But the vid is short so it's really hard to tell all the details.

The car was passing someone else, not just being a dick. Rider was tailgating and bolted out right after a curve, which put him at risk.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:32 PM
The car was passing someone else, not just being a dick. Rider was tailgating and bolted out right after a curve, which put him at risk.

That's what I said.

OUTLAWD
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:33 PM
as soon as I put my helmet on, I am "invisible"

I always have an escape route planned...even just riding down the highway I go over scenarios in my head "if that guy in front of me were to do _______, how would I react?"

I had a delivery truck try to squeeze me off on 3 lane highway back east...I was able to sneak by between his bumper and the guardrail, but my passenger wasn't too thrilled ;)

Vellos
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:36 PM
That's what I said.

Sorry for my butchered quote. I was trying to reinforce what you said, agreeing with you.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Sorry for my butchered quote. I was trying to reinforce what you said, agreeing with you.

:cheers:

FZRguy
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 12:37 AM
That or they will turn left just as you're passing.

ThrottleControl
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Guy on bike.. driving way to close to the car in front.. I bet he was driving like an idiot the entire ride. It definitely was not his fault when the car may have been trying to do the same thing as the biker, pass the slow car in very front. lol that's just my interpretation.

Or the biker pissed the guy off in the car ahead of him, and the guy may have intentionally tried to kill him. Manslaughter? lol

Finklestein87
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I'm on another forum here in Milwaukee where i live currently and was flamed for saying the Rider was very aggressive and dumb...

Vehicle 1
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 07:48 AM
as soon as I put my helmet on, I am "invisible"

+1 lol
I think both are at fault for what I can see in the video, although the car made a"bigger" mistake... seems like nobody was using blinkers either.

Matrix
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Not sure where either of them thought they were going. Looked like a line of cars as far as the eye could see.

dragos13
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I would guess the driver didn't see him. He was probably paying attention to the cars he was hoping to pass.

I think if the guy on the bike had better reaction, he could have kept it up. Instead of swerving into the dirt, the guy should have been on the brakes as soon as he saw the car coming over. Doesn't seem like he grabbed the brakes at all.

BC14
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Nope, just gave it more gas... He was asking for a wreck, imo. I've had that happen to me before, both in a car and on a bike.

Fenrir
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:58 AM
That whole situation was looked cramped and crowded. Im a new rider and if I were in that situation i probably would have gone slower (giving distance between the car in front of me) and just cruise at a slower speed. I guess I'm kinda a light weight and not that big of a risk taker

50sGrl
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Just watched this and haven't read the posts, but the first thought that came to mind was "which stupid driver are you referring to?"

BlueRanger
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I don't see what the biker did wrong, pretty standard prep to pass. Good lane position, waited till a straight, merge and accelerate. Entirely the cars fault. If you ask me the driver did it intentionally. Look at the gap between him and the car in front as he switched he was way too far to pass and there was no where for him to go. The bike was most likely trying to pass the car that hit him, merge back and work his way up.

Ricky
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Always assume the worst.

Mother Goose
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I don't see what the biker did wrong, pretty standard prep to pass. Good lane position, waited till a straight, merge and accelerate. Entirely the cars fault. If you ask me the driver did it intentionally. Look at the gap between him and the car in front as he switched he was way too far to pass and there was no where for him to go. The bike was most likely trying to pass the car that hit him, merge back and work his way up.
Wrong. If you watch the right side of the car before he pulls out, there is a car right in front of him, and you can see the shadow of it as the bike pulls out to pass.

If I was in his position, and seeing the red car on someone's ass like that, I'd assume he wanted to pass him at the next opportunity. Wait for a bit to see if he passes, if they don't, go for it.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM
^^This.

looks like an accident. The car really didn't have time to see the bike pull out, decide to be vengeful and swerve out. Plus, if he was pissed at the bike, he probably would've just hit his brakes

Bueller
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Didn't read all the expert commentary above but holy crap! Grab some brake and stay on the freakin' road, gotta save your own ass. Dumb rider!

spdu4ia
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
yea I'm going to blame that one on both. Rider shouldn't have been tailgaiting and trying to pass two cars at once on a two lane road. Car MIGHT have been able to see him if he checked his blind spot but I doubt it... happened to fast.

mastap07
Thu Apr 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=21db5090-1573-43bd-b98c-f5bf9b193067&src=OverlayPlayer:pause:email&from=email (http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=21db5090-1573-43bd-b98c-f5bf9b193067&src=OverlayPlayer:pause:email&from=email)

Vellos
Thu Apr 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Haven't seen the full version of that one, but I knew it was a woman driver.

OUTLAWD
Thu Apr 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Didn't read all the expert commentary above but holy crap! Grab some brake and stay on the freakin' road, gotta save your own ass. Dumb rider!

:idea: