PDA

View Full Version : What to wear

Finklestein87
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I tried searching the forums for an appropriate thread that already exists, but failed to find one, and so I apologize in advance if this has been brought up before.

I'll be a new rider to the area come May and I'm really looking forward to a lot of "Canyon Carving". When I ride I wear a full face helmet, gloves, mesh jacket with elbow and spine protector, jeans, and riding boots. It does the job, but I don't think i would feel comfortable in the mountains with that type of gear.

I'm interested in what people wear and what is considered "appropriate" by most people.

Thank you

Bueller
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM
When I ride I wear a full face helmet, gloves, mesh jacket with elbow and spine protector, jeans, and riding boots. It does the job

Have you crashed in this gear? What do yo mean by it does the job?

I wear leather most of the time, the cold months are Heavy textile.

Finklestein87
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:00 PM

Good point. Second day of riding I followed an expierenced group into some twisties and low sided on one of the first turns... :banghead::banghead: (LOTS of lessons learned that day.)

I had a little road rash on my side where my jacket came up.

BC14
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Have you been to a MSF course? That's where you should start if you haven't, and then worry about gear.

Vellos
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM
For basic protection on group rides people better have at least helmet, gloves, and some form of chest protection. I suggest a full jacket and boots that cover the ankle as well, but leather/textile pants aren't necessary.

In the mountains this early in the season there is a temperature difference 3,000 ft. higher up. So that mesh jacket and gloves might be a bit chilly. For cold weather I have a helmet, hoodie, leather jacket with liner, cold-weather gloves, long underwear, jeans, long socks, and boots.

Finklestein87
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Have you been to a MSF course? That's where you should start if you haven't, and then worry about gear.

+1 on the course. I was foolish and bought my bike (a 250 mind you) about 2 weeks before I started the course. Rode it for several hours on Saturday(the day i bought it) and Sunday morning is when I saw the group and followed them to Madison, WI where i ultimately crashed and had to ride an hour and half home with my tail between my legs.

That was last year June and since then I would like to think i've learned some important lessons, and after spending some time browsing these forums, I am really looking forward to meeting the people here and think I will be able to learn A LOT.

Thanks again for your input everyone

OUTLAWD
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I just don't think leather is in this season...

http://www.positivelycelebrity.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/what_not_to_wear1.jpg

Vellos
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Leather is always in! :gay:

OUTLAWD
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:45 PM
but in all seriousness...there are a bunch of cliche sayings that are totally true..."dress for the crash, not the ride" and "sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't"

this is a breakdown of what I wear...
relaxed paced trips to bike nights and such: armored textile jacket, armored leather gloves, over ankle riding boots, heavy jeans

touring/camping trips: armored textile jacket, armored leather gloves/rain gloves, over ankle riding boots, jeans and armored textile overpants

Canyon Carving: armored textile jacket/leather jacket, armored leather gloves, the best riding boots money can buy, leather bottoms, back protector

Honestly, wear the best gear you can afford...when I was first getting started I got most of my gear second hand. (minus helmets) Its a good way to pick up quality gear while not going broke

Finklestein87
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Honestly, wear the best gear you can afford...when I was first getting started I got most of my gear second hand. (minus helmets) Its a good way to ick up quality gear while not going broke

Thanks for the tip!

Drunktank
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I tried searching the forums for an appropriate thread that already exists, but failed to find one, and so I apologize in advance if this has been brought up before.

I'll be a new rider to the area come May and I'm really looking forward to a lot of "Canyon Carving". When I ride I wear a full face helmet, gloves, mesh jacket with elbow and spine protector, jeans, and riding boots. It does the job, but I don't think i would feel comfortable in the mountains with that type of gear.

I'm interested in what people wear and what is considered "appropriate" by most people.

Thank you

The vast majority of people that come out for the canyon rides have nice helmets, armored leather or textile jackets, leather armored gloves, jeans or kevlar armored jeans and over the ankle riding boots of some variety.

Would a one piece Dianese suit, gaunlet gloves, and Sidi boots protect better.... yes.... but is it practical (cost or just around town use).... no.

Vellos is spot on with the temp difference. A jacket with plenty of vents that you can close is always nice.... keep them closed in the morning hours and open those puppies up as the day warms.

asp_125
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Canyon carving, spirited pace: Leather two piece or one piece suit, back protector, full face helmet, leather gauntlet gloves, race boots. Basically the same setup as for the track. Downside: you look like a power ranger at lunch spots and makes it a bit difficult to be inconspicuous.

Twisties, relaxed pace: Leather or textile armored jacket, find one that snaps or attaches to belt loops or textile riding pants. Armored or heavy jeans, race boots, leather gloves. Textile and textile touring jackets (3/4 length) are versatile enough in this environment because you can choose layers to add or remove and is somewhat waterproof.

GuitarX
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hey Fink, welcome to some of the best riding in the country! I think what you're wearing is not bad. I wear a leather jacket instead of the mesh but that's just my personal preference. At least you're wearing a jacket with armor protection. Like you, I too wear jeans but I have the Forcefield armor pants underneath. I feel much more confident of my overall protection with these on. I also own a pair of the Bohn armor pants but tend to wear the Forcefields more. The armor stays in the right places a little better and is much beefier as well. The Bohns are less visible under jeans and are not quite as hot in the summer.

OUTLAWD
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 10:29 PM
The Bohns are less visible under jeans and are not quite as hot in the summer.

is that a Bohn in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

ChrisCBX
Mon Apr 4th, 2011, 10:30 PM

I wear leather most of the time, the cold months are Heavy textile.

+1 on what he said.

Around town or more casual riding, I'll wear denim motorcycle pants. I want to switch to a separate armor underlayer like GuitarX has, to go under the denim riding pants.

For me its ounce of prevention vs. a pound or many pounds of cure. I value my legs as well as the rest of my body and I don't want to try to avoid some of the leg injuries I've seen others have over the years. I've actually had people (other riders) make fun of my leather pants from time to time. They may not look that good but I enjoy riding in the canyons a lot more when I'm wearing them.

Modern motorcycle gear is soooooo much better than it was years ago. Much better protection. Better designs and vastly improved comfort. A lot more choices on what to wear.

FZRguy
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I just bought A-Stars A10 textile/leather pants and a textile waterproof jacket. They zip together with a full zip. Got them for my Alaska trip, but will prob wear them in the canyons. I always wear a gauntlet style glove and riding boots.

Finklestein87
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks everyone for your input, looks like leather is the way to go. I was amazed at how much a little road rash on my side hurt, and would NOT want to go through that again, anywhere on my body! After really thinking about it, I should have been able to answer this myself (get the best i can afford) but its still nice to get input, and you guys have been really helpful.

salsashark
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Keep an eye on 303 sales... they blow out some great leather for really good prices every once in a while.

Also, http://www.motorcyclegear.com aka New Enough... They have great closeout deals as well.

Quality gear can be found without spending an arm and a leg, just make sure it fits properly.

aerofaze
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:13 AM
...Leather two piece or one piece suit, back protector, full face helmet, leather gauntlet gloves, race boots. Basically the same setup as for the track. Downside: you look like a power ranger at lunch spots and makes it a bit difficult to be inconspicuous.

This is exactly what I wear for all rides (except for the work commutes or errand runs, which I'll swap out the leather pants for jeans). I value my skin, and I'd prefer that my riding partners have similar beliefs.

And if people at lunch are staring, well, they're just jealous that they're not Power Rangers, too. ;)

Think ATGATT.

I was thinking of checking out 303's Sartso Kevlar jeans (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38636).

Vellos
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Think ATGATT.

All The Gear All The Time*

Sean
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Depending on what size you are, I have some great pants for sale. link (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38357)

Mother Goose
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Sean's always trying to get guy in his pants.....

I'll add my 2 cents, but I want them back, cause I'm poor. :p I crashed in a mesh jacket and it lifted on me too. Road rash on my stomach, not pretty. The "armor" in the elbow also shifted, so I had a huge hole in my elbow and needed one of my tendons reattached, again.... not pretty. :lol: Around town, I think they are ok, but I wouldn't buy another one.

Now I ride in either my leather jacket, or my textile. I was in jeans for most of my riding days, but bought a pair of textile pants at the beginning of this winter. They're more comfortable than jeans and a hell of a lot safer (I was in jeans the same crash and got to see my knee cap while I was in the ER..... yes, not pretty, but it was cool to see).

I feel naked without gloves, so it's a given that I'm always wearing those, and a helmet.

asp_125
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Plus.. you can never have enough jackets, helmets, gloves, boots and pants. If you fill up one gear closet just start another one. You need a summer jacket, a winter one, different colors, matching helmets all that stuff. ATGATT doesn't mean you can't look good. :D

Mother Goose
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Plus.. you can never have enough jackets, helmets, gloves, boots and pants. If you fill up one gear closet just start another one.
I need a new closet. Want to build me one? :idea:

bodhizafa
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:54 AM
My experience is get good gear that you want, spend a little extra if you have to. I seem to get stuff thats on sale etc. then end up buying what I wanted anyways later on........ in the process wasting money.

Vellos
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I use my summer riding gear in the winter, just with layers underneath so I don't have to spend another grand. The only item I have two of (other than a spare helmet) is gloves, but before I got proper winter gloves I just put a ski glove liner inside my mesh ones. Yey for saving money while still riding safe!

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Ride through the canyons in a leather suit (1 or to piece), over the ankle riding boots, gauntlet gloves, and a good helmet three times. The next time you ride canyons without just one of those things, you'll feel naked.

Ricky
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I wear the same stuff on every ride. The only difference is that for my work commute, I wear jeans and boots I can wear all day, but in the canyons I wear leather pants and racing boots. I'm always wearing leather jacket, leather gloves, and the all important helmet. The more I wear, the better I feel!

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I will not ride without gloves, helmet, and my a* boots. jeans to commute in, leather for any kind of actual riding. Leather jacket for all but the hottest days and always in the canyons, regardless of temp.

OUTLAWD
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
one of the few times I wore sneakers, running to the store 4 blocks away, I got t-boned by a car, and my ankle is still screwed up...if I was waering boots, I would have skipped away from the scene

V4whore
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but riding in CO will be very different from WI. I personally believe that if you're going to be in the canyons, then leather is the only material worth spending your money on. Unfortunately, this is one area where you don't want to get cheap. Leather will always cost less than a skin graft and can easily make the difference between walking away from a crash and being laid up for weeks with road rash. Just as a good pair of sport boots can save you from major ligiment damage that a riding shoe can not. I personally won't ride to 7-11 without my gear on. Make sure to get something with matching zipper sizes so that you can attach the pant and jacket to one another. I bought Alpinestars perforated leathers for the summer heat and they breath nicely.

And please don't take this the wrong way, Vellos. But jeans are not "just fine". That's a bad piece of advice, as a pair of jeans won't protect you anymore than will a pair of shorts.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM
a pair of jeans won't protect you anymore than will a pair of shorts.
a pair of jeans will protect you 5 feet farther than a pair of shorts. So if you're only gonna be on the ground for 4.5 feet, then you're solid. :D

Bueller
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Always wear clean underwear in case you are in an accident.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Always wear clean underwear in case you are in an accident.
Depending on the accident, this may be a moot point.

Vellos
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Jeans are better than shorts. I wouldn't want to crash in them though, but most rides in the canyons you shouldn't be pushing yourself - save that for the track... and always wear full leathers for the track.

1BadSvt
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Quick note about jeans.....
I went down wearing jeans ONCE and the jeans never tore but man my but cheek STILL got ate off. (That was at 15mph)I will always wear my RIDING pants now. You can get the riding blue jeans but I went for some mesh/textile FIRSTGEAR pants and love them.
As for summer jacket... I have a Icon that is mesh in the center with leather sleeves and I love it. Also with a back protector. And I love my Icon boots they are easy to walk in and I feel safe in them.

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I hear not crashing is "in" these days.

asp_125
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I went down in Draggin Jeans at ~20mph and still rashed up my knee. Not where the kevlar liner was, but because the jeans slid up my leg in the slide and wore through the unlined part. Bohn armor is more likely to protect you since it will stay in place.

I crashed at 80mph at HPR and while the leathers were tore up, I didn't get a single road rash. (Now, the broken bone was another story)

Take it for what it's worth. I still ride in Carhartt canvas pants but that is a risk I choose to accept.

bornwildnfree
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM
+1 to what everyone has said. I've been down 2x in jeans. Don't protect worth a crap thankfully nothing was broken or anything. The best gear you can afford and leather is always best.

GuitarX
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
is that a Bohn in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

Always happy to see you Dave... :slappers:

GuitarX
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Plus.. you can never have enough jackets, helmets, gloves, boots and pants. If you fill up one gear closet just start another one. You need a summer jacket, a winter one, different colors, matching helmets all that stuff. ATGATT doesn't mean you can't look good. :D

I'll drink to that. It's not how you feel dahling, it's how you look!

brennahm
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I wear my OCC sleeveless T-shirt, bitchin' American flag Oakleys, sweet retro bell helmet from 1962, and my red Chuck Taylors.

All of MY gear, all of the time...

1BadSvt
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM
^ HELLS YEA!!!!
That is what I'm talking about!

Finklestein87
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I wear my OCC sleeveless T-shirt, bitchin' American flag Oakleys, sweet retro bell helmet from 1962, and my red Chuck Taylors.

All of MY gear, all of the time...

Sounds like what i wear when i RIDE to the BAR

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I would never wear a set of Chuck Tees on the bike. Those are for stylin' on the bitches at the mall, yo.

V4whore
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I'm not a safety cop; each to their own, I say. It's no skin off my sack if some dude wants to wear a g-string and heels. Just saying that a relative newb whom isn't aware of the challenges that CO can throw at a rider should have the facts, before he decides which risks he's willing to take. There are about 936 things that can put a rider on the asphalt in a canyon that don't include limits riding.

brennahm
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I would never wear a set of Chuck Tees on the bike. Those are for stylin' on the bitches at the mall, yo.

Bitch pleez, where you think I rollin' dirty at?:yes:

BC14
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I'm not a safety cop; each to their own, I say. It's no skin off my sack if some dude wants to wear a g-string and heels. Just saying that a relative newb whom isn't aware of the challenges that CO can throw at a rider should have the facts, before he decides which risks he's willing to take. There are about 936 things that can put a rider on the asphalt in a canyon that don't include limits riding.

You can ride behind that guy, Dave. I'll pass, thanks :p

FZRguy
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Yo, bitch! :lol:

Vellos
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Most riders wear jeans on canyon rides; doesn't make them squids for doing so. You can state your opinion, but that doesn't mean you should pick out mine as bad advice. I think wearing leather pants is better than jeans, of course, but they aren't as essential as helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/jimmydean69/squid.jpg

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Sean's always trying to get guy in his pants.....

I'll add my 2 cents, but I want them back, cause I'm poor. :p I crashed in a mesh jacket and it lifted on me too. Road rash on my stomach, not pretty. The "armor" in the elbow also shifted, so I had a huge hole in my elbow and needed one of my tendons reattached, again.... not pretty. :lol: Around town, I think they are ok, but I wouldn't buy another one.

Now I ride in either my leather jacket, or my textile. I was in jeans for most of my riding days, but bought a pair of textile pants at the beginning of this winter. They're more comfortable than jeans and a hell of a lot safer (I was in jeans the same crash and got to see my knee cap while I was in the ER..... yes, not pretty, but it was cool to see).

I feel naked without gloves, so it's a given that I'm always wearing those, and a helmet.

Man. I was feeling okay about my Olympia mesh gear until I read this. Looks like I'm spending my day off tomorrow looking for leather that fits my fat, beer-loving, hobbit frame.

BC14
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Man. I was feeling okay about my Olympia mesh gear until I read this. Looks like I'm spending my day off tomorrow looking for leather that fits my fat, beer-loving, hobbit frame.
Didn't you just buy a new jacket?

OUTLAWD
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 11:27 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/jimmydean69/squid.jpg

I ignore the yellow lines for the most part...but I'm only a squid when I'm on my gixxer (GSXR)

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Didn't you just buy a new jacket?

I returned it duh ;) Channeling my inner Sheen. :silly:

It had a deal-breaker I didn't notice until I got it home.

Vellos
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:35 AM
It had a deal-breaker I didn't notice until I got it home.

Was it a womens jacket? :lol:

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Was it a womens jacket? :lol:

Haha! No. :vader:

The cuff wouldn't fit inside my gauntlets... not even close... and the forearm was too tight for my Popeye arms. :tnator:

GuitarX
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I ignore the yellow lines for the most part...but I'm only a squid when I'm on my gixxer (GSXR)

Man, you guys are totally making me jones for some calamari now. :squid:

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Man, you guys are totally making me jones for some calamari now. :squid:
you...jonesin for grub? I don't buy it

GuitarX
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM
you...jonesin for grub? I don't buy it

:drool: :yes: :cheers:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Haha! No. :vader:

The cuff wouldn't fit inside my gauntlets... not even close... and the forearm was too tight for my Popeye arms. :tnator:
If you had a girlfriend, you wouldn't have Popeye forearms.......just sayin'...... :)

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
If you had a girlfriend, you wouldn't have Popeye forearms.......just sayin'...... :)

I'll ask my wife if I can get one. :lol:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I'll ask my wife if I can get one. :lol:

Always good to have both if you can! :) I remember reading that in Italy, it's common for a man to have a wife and a girlfriend, it's kind of culturally accepted. Of course, this is also the country where, as my grandfather told me and I've read, that to show a girl that you like her, you give her a little pinch on the ass. The supreme court of Italy ruled on that years ago in an American girls sexual harassment lawsuit, and said it was a perfectly normal part of their cculture, and if she didn't like it, to leave! Nice!

Jim_Vess
Thu Apr 7th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Always good to have both if you can! :) I remember reading that in Italy, it's common for a man to have a wife and a girlfriend, it's kind of culturally accepted. Of course, this is also the country where, as my grandfather told me and I've read, that to show a girl that you like her, you give her a little pinch on the ass. The supreme court of Italy ruled on that years ago in an American girls sexual harassment lawsuit, and said it was a perfectly normal part of their cculture, and if she didn't like it, to leave! Nice!

That's it, I'm moving to Italy. :up:

grim
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
I know this is an old thread but in light of everything that has been happening lately i feel the need to 'Ask the question" Ive been riding for over 5 years now and have never had a pair of riding pants always helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, and jeans. Its quit obvious that riding pants or a full suit are far superior to jeans. My question is i have FRC's for work. For those who dont know what those are they are thick Flame retardant Clothing they are very durable and can withstand alot of friction as well as damage. Has anyone ridden and gone down while wearing FRC's if so what was the damage? Does anyone think these are any better than jeans untill i get my hands on some riding pants?

Vellos
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Leathers are cheaper than hospital bills.

Penadam
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM
Has anyone ridden and gone down while wearing FRC's if so what was the damage? Does anyone think these are any better than jeans untill i get my hands on some riding pants?

Better at preventing road rash? Yes. Better at preventing you from breaking something or really hurting yourself? No. Road rash sucks, but it's not going to kill you. The broken bones or holes you put in yourself might. Obviously they would be better than jeans, but in terms of real protection, you need something armored.