PDA

View Full Version : What we really got with Obamacare

CaneZach
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Since we haven't had a good political discussion lately, allow me to stir the pot:

Uncovered: New $2 billion bailout in Obamacare

By: Byron York 03/31/11 11:02 PM
Chief Political Correspondent

Investigators for the House Energy and Commerce Committee have discovered that a little-known provision in the national health care law has allowed the federal government to pay nearly $2 billion to unions, state public employee systems, and big corporations to subsidize health coverage costs for early retirees. At the current rate of payment, the $5 billion appropriated for the program could be exhausted well before it is set to expire.

The discovery came on the eve of an oversight hearing focused on the workings of an obscure agency known as CCIO -- the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight. CCIO, which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services, oversees the implementation of Section 1102 of the Affordable Care Act, which created something called the Early Retiree Reinsurance Program. The legislation called for the program to spend a total of $5 billion, beginning in June 2010 -- shortly after Obamacare was passed -- and ending on January 1, 2014, as the system of national health care exchanges was scheduled to go into effect.

The idea was to subsidize unions, states, and companies that had made commitments to provide health insurance for workers who retired early -- between the ages of 55 and 64, before they were eligible for Medicare. According to a new report prepared by the Department of Health and Human Services, "People in the early retiree age group…often face difficulties obtaining insurance in the individual market because of age or chronic conditions that make coverage unaffordable or inaccessible." As a result, fewer and fewer organizations have been offering coverage to early retirees; the Early Retiree Reinsurance Program was designed to subsidize such coverage until the creation of Obamacare's health-care exchanges.

The program began making payouts on June 1, 2010. Between that date and the end of 2010, it paid out about $535 million dollars. But according to the new report, the rate of spending has since increased dramatically, to about $1.3 billion just for the first two and a half months of this year. At that rate, it could burn through the entire $5 billion appropriation as early as 2012.

Where is the money going? According to the new report, the biggest single recipient of an early-retiree bailout is the United Auto Workers, which has so far received $206,798,086. Other big recipients include AT&T, which received $140,022,949, and Verizon, which received $91,702,538. General Electric, in the news recently for not paying any U.S. taxes last year, received $36,607,818. General Motors, recipient of a massive government bailout, received $19,002,669.

The program also paid large sums of money to state governments. The Public Employees Retirement System of Ohio received $70,557,764; the Teacher Retirement System of Texas received $68,074,118; the California Public Employees Retirement System, or CalPERS, received $57,834,267; the Georgia Department of Community Health received $57,936,127; and the state of New York received $47,869,044. Other states received lesser but still substantial sums.

But payments to individual states were dwarfed by the payout to the auto workers union, which received more than the states of New York, California, and Texas combined. Other unions also received government funds, including the United Food and Commercial Workers, the United Mine Workers, and the Teamsters.

Republican investigators count the early-retiree program among those that would never have become law had Democrats allowed more scrutiny of Obamacare at the time it was pushed through the House and Senate. Since then, Republicans have kept an eye on the program but were not able to pry any information out of the administration until after the GOP won control of the House last November. Now, finally, they are learning what's going on.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/...#ixzz1IayM2d62 (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/03/uncovered-new-2-billion-bailout-obamacare#ixzz1IayM2d62)

salsashark
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 08:38 AM
...and they fired up the big campaign bulldozer yesterday.

a billion dollars needed to earn a 400K job?! :no:

dirkterrell
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:17 AM
But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it

That's the way our "representatives" in DC think these days, and a large enough fraction of us are dumb enough to believe it's a good thing. Well, it's going to come crashing down on our heads one way or another. Both the right and the left have made the mistake of using the federal government to enforce moral positions, and the beast has snapped free of the chains. They're bickering about $60 billion in cuts when the deficit is $1700 billion. Why aren't they looking at where the real cuts need to be made: entitlement programs? Because we're dumb enough to believe that we can pay for all the crap that's been promised by politicians past in order to get elected. Exponential growth will bite you in the ass. Just ask King Shihram.

The chickens are coming home to roost. I hope everyone is ready for it.

Dirk

Wrider
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Yay for politicians ruining everything yet again.

salsashark
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Top Gear on BBC last night... They took three budget compact cars down to the financial district to show the financiers what they could look forward to driving after ruining the markets.

Richard Hammond commented something to the likes of "While you're all out here, you're not inside screwing everything up" :lol:

Think we could get them to set up in DC?

Wrider
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Top Gear on BBC last night... They took three budget compact cars down to the financial district to show the financiers what they could look forward to driving after ruining the markets.

Richard Hammond commented something to the likes of "While you're all out here, you're not inside screwing everything up" :lol:

Think we could get them to set up in DC?
And NYC..

modette99
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I say let them, let it crash so we can start over. Lets first off cancel our debits with China and the rest of the world, yeah it will mean the dollar becomes shit...but int he end its what we need. yeah it be some hard times, but hell in the end it be worth it for our kids, grandkids and future generations.

DFab
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I say let them, let it crash so we can start over. Lets first off cancel our debits with China and the rest of the world, yeah it will mean the dollar becomes shit...but int he end its what we need. yeah it be some hard times, but hell in the end it be worth it for our kids, grandkids and future generations.

"Hard times" does not even begin to describe what would happen if we canceled our debts.

Finklestein87
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Going straight to the voting booth after work tonight. David Prosser FTW!!! I'm proud to be from Wisconsin and finally have a governer that was elected to make budget cuts and did so immidiately!

Canuck
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I will post this (without permission from the author) as it's not just the US thats in trouble.
by Bill Bonner
Even before the Richter needle began to quiver and the pots began to fall, Japan's finances were already shaky. The country began running huge budget deficits following the stock market sell-off of 1990. Economists called this "fiscal stimulus" back then. Two decades later, the deficits are bigger than ever - 7.5% of GDP this year - and they stimulate nothing.

Japan has gotten in the habit of living beyond its means. The country has an accumulated debt equal to twice national output and 20 times tax revenues.

Japan has become a "zombie state." Its people are getting old. Net of private and public borrowing, its savings rate is now hugely negative.

Japan is "fiscally and demographically doomed," as Dennis Gartman puts it.

The zombie state survives only by feeding off the next generation. The government borrows, spends the money, and then counts on the next generation to make good on the loans. But the next generation is disappearing.

CNN carried an interview with an emergency worker in Japan. He noted that there were very few children among the dead. The interviewer speculated that the young were faster and better able to scramble to safety. Another reason may be that young people in Japan barely exist. There are no immigrants. Women do not get married. They do not have children - at least not enough to replenish the population anyway.

Obviously, a change of direction is in order. But what's the hurry? One of the remarkable features of our financial world is the low yields on US and Japanese sovereign debt. Japanese investors - who own 94% of Japanese government bonds - lend money to the central government for 10 years at only 1.2% yield. At that rate, the carrying cost of debt is so low borrowers are under no pressure to reduce their debt load or to change their habits. It is easier to add more debt than it is to face up to the challenge of a major political and economic restructuring.

No wonder the debt increases. Adding debt is the path of least resistance. And this is the path politicians tend to follow. As we mentioned here two weeks ago, the Bank of International Settlements estimates that Japan's debt will reach three times national output by the end of this decade.

This was the status of things when the teacups began to rattle and fall. Zero interest rates, money-printing and large fiscal deficits were already regular, every-day, business-as-usual components of the Japanese economy. Take them away, and all the unhappiness that the Japanese authorities had tried to avoid for so long would suddenly fall upon them.

As it turned out, the teacups fell upon them first. And then the sea rose up and threatened to swallow them whole. And if that weren't enough, their power plants turned against them too. Their recent quake was the most expensive natural disaster in history - likely to cost $200 billion to repair, according to an estimate from Goldman Sachs. The Tokyo stock exchange saw its biggest sell-off in 24 years - a loss in market value of $610 billion.

Under these circumstances, austerity was not only out of the question, it was no longer even part of the conversation. Reprising almost the exact words used by Ben Bernanke, Larry Summers and Tim Geithner in the autumn of 2008, the Japanese announced they would deal with the emergency at hand and worry about the long-term integrity of their national finances later.

In came the Bank of Japan with ¥15 trillion ($189 billion) of QE on Monday and another ¥21 trillion ($264 billion) on Tuesday. By Wednesday, almost $700 billion of new funds had been made available. On Tuesday, the price of gold also sank $30, prompting observers to speculate that Japan was selling gold in order to raise cash.

Japan hardly needed to sell gold. Like the US, Japan uses debt monetization (now politely called "quantitative easing" but more accurately described as money-printing) to fill in the gaps in its budgets. But as the Japanese age, they save less and less. And the window on "borrowing from ourselves" closes. QE is surely destined to play a larger role in financing both the Japanese reconstruction...and Japanese self-destruction, too.

As to the reconstruction, no one is going to complain if the Bank of Japan buys a few more government bonds. The country is repatriating capital from all over the world. In anticipation of this the yen has spiked to record highs versus the dollar. This makes QE seem not only like a sensible way to make funds available for reconstruction, but a way to help the economy too. It will help push the yen back down, helping Japan's export industry.

In the long run, no program of unbridled money printing goes unpunished. Sooner or later, Japan will add hyperinflation to its long list of torments.

Canuck
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Going straight to the voting booth after work tonight. David Prosser FTW!!! I'm proud to be from Wisconsin and finally have a governer that was elected to make budget cuts and did so immidiately!

Wow!
On this sunny, non-election day, may I suggest voting yourself back to English class. Since the (I presume) public school system in Wisconsin failed at teaching you proper grammar.

Welcome to the club NooB. :lol:
Civic's class would be a good one to (re)take as well.

Finklestein87
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Wow!
On this sunny, non-election day, may I suggest voting yourself back to English class. Since the (I presume) public school system in Wisconsin failed at teaching you proper grammar.

Tnx! I rilley apriseight ur encouragemant!!! :cheers:

Finklestein87
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Wow!

On a more serious note, I currently reside in WI, and we DO have an election... http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/elections/state/spring-2011-supreme-court-race-preview-david-prosser-joanne-kloppenburg

Its actually a VERY critical election and its outcome will hugely effect the proposals our newly elected govna is positioning.

As far as grammar, I try to be as clear as possible, but unfortunetly I'm lacking in that department.

Canuck
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Just busting balls. It's apart of the atmosphere during ethical and political debates here.

CaneZach
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Just busting balls. It's apart of the atmosphere during ethical and political debates here.

A part.

Apart would indicate separate from or away from one another in space or time. :doublefinger:

Maybe you would like to type in French, eh? You hoser!

Canuck
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
A part.

Apart would indicate separate from or away from one another in space or time. :doublefinger:

Maybe you would like to type in French, eh? You hoser!

:spit: Hahaha! Got me on that one.

[Fucking iPhone]

tecknojoe
Tue Apr 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm not reading any posts before this because I'm a asshole today.

I would like to say I am severely disappointed in our leadership for not approving SOME kind of budget. A lot of Americans are going to suffer because of their crybaby political bullshit. I'm blaming dems and reps. what a failure.

stitch
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I'm not reading any posts before this because I'm a asshole today.

I would like to say I am severely disappointed in our leadership for not approving SOME kind of budget. A lot of Americans are going to suffer because of their crybaby political bullshit. I'm blaming dems and reps. what a failure.

Actually not that many will suffer. Almost all who do will be recipients of entitlement programs (with the exception of the military). Of course the military should get paid no matter what! Congress will continue to get a paycheck through this but our military members fighting 3 wars (technically four) will get nothing. So I say let's show the country how much we can get by without this bloated government. Let it shut down. We don't need 50% of what we have today. Let's also have our military stand down and let the world see what it would be like without our military to defend them. We kill two birds with one stone. Show the people of the United States how much they don't need this bloated useless government and show the world how much they need the US military.

tecknojoe
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
No. MANY contractors (myself included) will be told not to show up to work because the govt customers cannot be there to give direction. It actually has a MASSIVE hit on the economy. There's actually a very large number that will be impacted by this right here in the denver area alone. When we are told to not show up and not get paid, we have to keep our money in the bank, which means we won't be spending on anything, which means it hits the local economy.

There is a much bigger work force at stake than just the govies in washington. They are fucking a lot of americans because they are being crybaby assholes with folded arms.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/...#ixzz1IayM2d62 (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/03/uncovered-new-2-billion-bailout-obamacare#ixzz1IayM2d62)
Yeah, big surprise, huh? Oh, wait, NOT!

dirkterrell
Thu Apr 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Read this. It sums up the big picture pretty well.

http://www.market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=183789

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Interesting read. Pretty much my take on the big picture...

http://www.market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=183855

Wrider
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM
In response to the original title...
Fucked
/thread

stitch
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
No. MANY contractors (myself included) will be told not to show up to work because the govt customers cannot be there to give direction. It actually has a MASSIVE hit on the economy. There's actually a very large number that will be impacted by this right here in the denver area alone. When we are told to not show up and not get paid, we have to keep our money in the bank, which means we won't be spending on anything, which means it hits the local economy.

There is a much bigger work force at stake than just the govies in washington. They are fucking a lot of americans because they are being crybaby assholes with folded arms.

Technojoe,
Believe me I feel your pain. But you and other contractors are still a small part of the American economy. I would wager less than 10%. BLS reports something along the lines of 8%.

Yes from your point of view it is a huge hit but from a big picture view, your loss of work is a small part of the American economy. In your personal view that is huge, believe me I understand and I am sorry. I get to make my sacrifice as well. But from a bigger picture stand point this is good for the country. If we don't correct this spending issue now, we wont be able to fix it with short term shutdowns in a few years. Our economy will tank and NO ONE will have a job. I prefer a smaller sacrifice now to a death of the economy a few years down the road (it might not even be that far down the road).

Now ask yourself is your job vital to the operation of the country. Normally I would say since you are being furloughed it is not, but since they consider the military non essential as well....who knows what is going through the heads of who decides what is essential and what is not. The point is there are far too many goverment programs that are considered wasteful spending and we need to put a stop to that. Our government has become so large and ineffective we need to pull the reins in considerably. Only way this is going to happen is to cut the money supply off.

I think so many people have come to rely on the goverement entitlement programs that it is expected as a right. It isn't a right. It is a privilege and one that is all too often abused. We need to put a stop to these things or else there won't be anything left. Then you'll know what it is really like to have nothing and no one to count on.

Wrider
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Keep in mind Stitch that they won't be paying military, military contractors, government contractors, government employees (except for themselves of course), etc.
I can't find the figures but I'm sure that's gotta be close to 20% of the economy. Now imagine that 20% of the economy says "Well since I can't afford to buy anything, I won't!" and shuts their wallets.
That will affect the other 80% of the economy, especially in Colorado where we have a LOT of military/government contractors.

I'm not sure if it sounds like I'm attacking you but I'm not trying to. I honestly feel the government has gotten much too large for it's own good and for the good of the country. I feel the entitlement programs and nanny laws have gotten to be way too intrusive, and feel that a lot of laws should be cut out of the books or at least way back.

IMHO there is no reason that our printed law should be as long as it is today. You know how long our federal tax code is? Neither does any member of Congress. According to the official printing office it's only a mere 16,845 pages long.
To put that into perspective, the King James version of the Bible (the one used by most modern Christians) is around 1200 pages in it's shortest form, and 1700 in it's longer forms. That's anywhere from 10 to 14 times the length of the Bible.

Rhino
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
That's anywhere from 10 to 14 times the length of the Bible.

Jesus only expected 10% of your earnings, the gubberment wants 14 times that.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Lockheed put out an email that they are NOT shutting any doors or laying off if the gov't shuts down. So that's something. Hopefully other gov't contractors put safeguards in place to do the same. Military customers will still show up to work, they'll just have to wait on backpay (been there done that), so I don't foresee too many gov't contractors needing to shut down except for contracts that have not yet been "turned on"--these are the ones that are gonna get hurt.

As for Obamacare...my wife and I ditched health insurance for good. Rather than spend $400/mo. in premiums alone (which admittedly isn't the worst in the world) PLUS meds, emergency room, whatever else MIGHT come up, we've decided to budget for medical costs on our own. Screw insurance companies as well as Obama's crap. I'll take care of my own my own way. If more of America would do the same we might have a chance of getting this particular monkey off our collective back and actually make some headway.

Finklestein87
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 05:22 PM
As for Obamacare...my wife and I ditched health insurance for good. Rather than spend $400/mo. in premiums alone (which admittedly isn't the worst in the world) PLUS meds, emergency room, whatever else MIGHT come up, we've decided to budget for medical costs on our own. Screw insurance companies as well as Obama's crap. I'll take care of my own my own way. If more of America would do the same we might have a chance of getting this particular monkey off our collective back and actually make some headway.

I dislocated by shoulder for the second time, and this time around just went straight to the ER. The costs were over $5k, my deductible was only $200.

JonnyD
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Lockheed put out an email that they are NOT shutting any doors or laying off if the gov't shuts down. So that's something. Hopefully other gov't contractors put safeguards in place to do the same. Military customers will still show up to work, they'll just have to wait on backpay (been there done that), so I don't foresee too many gov't contractors needing to shut down except for contracts that have not yet been "turned on"--these are the ones that are gonna get hurt.

I'm a gubment contractor as well, and we're being told to report for work Monday as normal until a signed form goes across my boss's desk saying to not come in. At that point, we'd be going to 2 people on call each day for the 5% of the USGS that is working. Time to start racking up some miles in the mountains.

DFab
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM

The tax systems he recommends are great. I've read about something similar called the "clean slate". Pretty much a hybrid of the two he talks about.

He's right about cutting military spending; he's wrong about nuclear power. Nuclear power is only economically feasible when you ignore the costs of long term waste storage and disaster cleanup. The only reason we have nuclear power now is because the tax payers are responsible for these costs.

As far as denying emergency care to illegals, it may be true that the majority of 2nd/3rd world countries do this, but 1st world countries don't. I don't think it would have wide public support here either.

I would advocate for a limited primary health insurance system payed for through taxes, that covers basic medical care and emergency care, combined with a secondary private insurance market. Life long dialysis and other high cost procedures would not be covered by primary insurance.

A lot of good stuff in that blog though; I am now subscribed.

longrider
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 05:48 PM

I have to agree with what is said in that article, unfortunately ti will never happen until everything collapses :( This is one of the few times I am glad to be a FOG, hopefully things wont get too unbearable in the next 30 years...

stitch
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Keep in mind Stitch that they won't be paying military, military contractors, government contractors, government employees (except for themselves of course), etc.
I can't find the figures but I'm sure that's gotta be close to 20% of the economy. Now imagine that 20% of the economy says "Well since I can't afford to buy anything, I won't!" and shuts their wallets.
That will affect the other 80% of the economy, especially in Colorado where we have a LOT of military/government contractors.

I'm not sure if it sounds like I'm attacking you but I'm not trying to. I honestly feel the government has gotten much too large for it's own good and for the good of the country. I feel the entitlement programs and nanny laws have gotten to be way too intrusive, and feel that a lot of laws should be cut out of the books or at least way back.

IMHO there is no reason that our printed law should be as long as it is today. You know how long our federal tax code is? Neither does any member of Congress. According to the official printing office it's only a mere 16,845 pages long.
To put that into perspective, the King James version of the Bible (the one used by most modern Christians) is around 1200 pages in it's shortest form, and 1700 in it's longer forms. That's anywhere from 10 to 14 times the length of the Bible.

No worries dude, I didn't see it as an attack at all. We obviously are in agreement on almost everything.

In my previous post about this I said "Of course the military should get paid no matter what! Congress will continue to get a paycheck through this but our military members fighting 3 wars (technically four) will get nothing." I am a military vet (disabled) and I won't get a check that I sorely need right now. I am also heading into a VA hospital next week for an important procedure that will be affected by this (possibly canceled). So believe me I understand the full situation and how it will affect our Vets.

I checked the figures on BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) and it included the contracting personnel in the 8% figure. So I don't think it is a 20% figure. I could be wrong because I am relying on a government figure (God known they can't do math) but I agree it has the potential to impact far greater amounts of our economy. But again the bigger picture goal is to lower spending now before we have no choice. If our economy tanks, we won't be able to put a few workers on paid vacation (meaning the gov.). If our dollar tanks, the entire world is in trouble. With the way we are spending now we are not far from the dollar being worthless. And now other nations are actively working against the dollar (OPEC trying to use something other than the dollar for valuing oil for example). Add to that the close of oil at 112 today. A large part of our economy is based on the transfer of goods. If gas gets too expensive we can't transport goods or the price gets to a point that few can afford it. We already see inflation skyrocketing (tried to by milk lately or anything made with cotton?). If we don't get our dollar under control we are wholly and completely screwed.

I often referred to what happened to USSR during the 90s as what we can expect but I admit now I was wrong. The Russian ruble wasn't as important to the world economy as the dollar. If the dollar tanks, what happens to China or Japan or Israel or just about anywhere else.

However I want to point out that it is interesting that actual government employees will not lose any actual pay they just have to "potentially" wait a little longer for it. This puts us right back to where we were under English rule. With a leadership which is a benefactor of the people. That isn't how our country was founded. The people should be a benefactor of the government. When the government gets entitlements that the people don't enjoy or when our government is not beholden to the same laws that it's people are something has gone wrong in our system. That is what we see happening here. Time to put a stop to this.

tecknojoe
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 06:13 PM
For us contractors, it will vary by program. thank jesus my program was given the green light today. Since we're paid up to a certain date(in our case, it's a month from now) that's money that we have the right to spend on our employees. Therefore, we'll keep working. It's just difficult because if our customers aren't there to give demands, we have to govern ourselves.

none of the contracting companies would do layoffs or anything crazy, they aren't gov run. But if you are in a period where you're either waiting on funding or about to renew funding, you're in the sketchy zone and likely will not be working until it's over.

The news is talking about how abortion is mixed up in this bull shit. Why the fuck is abortion being discussed in a budget crisis. The issue here is that money needs to be approved to be spent, or else we are going to have a million people not working in this country. Huge hit on the economy every day this continues. abortion? gtfo

stitch
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM
For us contractors, it will vary by program. thank jesus my program was given the green light today. Since we're paid up to a certain date(in our case, it's a month from now) that's money that we have the right to spend on our employees. Therefore, we'll keep working. It's just difficult because if our customers aren't there to give demands, we have to govern ourselves.

none of the contracting companies would do layoffs or anything crazy, they aren't gov run. But if you are in a period where you're either waiting on funding or about to renew funding, you're in the sketchy zone and likely will not be working until it's over.

The news is talking about how abortion is mixed up in this bull shit. Why the fuck is abortion being discussed in a budget crisis. The issue here is that money needs to be approved to be spent, or else we are going to have a million people not working in this country. Huge hit on the economy every day this continues. abortion? gtfo

Actually what I heard the latest hang up was access for women to have breast exams. What a cluster fuck.

Shea
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 06:18 PM
He's right about cutting military spending; he's wrong about nuclear power. Nuclear power is only economically feasible when you ignore the costs of long term waste storage and disaster cleanup. The only reason we have nuclear power now is because the tax payers are responsible for these costs.

And the alternative energy sources are only economically feasible due to HEAVY government subsidizes and the only reason they are in existence is due to tax payers floating the costs. (Points at GE)

As with any technology (be it nucular :) solar/wind, whathaveyou) progress is made to make them more efficient, cheaper, and more reliable. Nuclear is much farther down that road then any of the alternatives.

Natural gas fired plants are by far the most economical source of power currently (in cost per MwH) but we can't build those, because they are bad...

Source: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/electricity_generation.html

stitch
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Here's irony for ya.....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/08/shutdown-near-federal-workers-face-layoffs-jobless-benefits/

If the federal government shuts down Friday night, more than 2 million federal workers across the country are facing temporary layoffs or no paychecks. Yet for the 800,000 workers who would be laid off -- deemed non-essential -- they can file for unemployment benefits.
By midday, most important federal employees (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/#) had been told whether they have been deemed essential or would be temporarily laid off. But exactly when they can file for benefits and the amount they receive depends on the state where they work.
Contrary to popular belief, about 85 percent of federal workers work outside of Washington. Many of them are concentrated in Maryland, Virginia, California, Texas, Florida and New York.
In Maryland, where there are 262,000 federal workers, they qualify for unemployment benefits from the first day of a shutdown, and could get a maximum of $430 a week.
Mike Raia, spokesman for the state Department of Labor, said the division has plans in place to handle additional claims.

"If the shutdown happens on Friday, there will be an application (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/#) up on that site early next week, either Monday or Tuesday, that will allow federal employees to file their claim online," he said.
It takes a week for federal employees in Virginia and D.C. to qualify. The top benefit (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/#) in Washington is $359, and $378 in Virginia.
There's a one-week waiting period in California, where there are 254,100 federal government workers, 62,000 of them in the Department of Defense. The top benefit is $450.
Kevin Callori, spokesman for the state Employment Development Department, told FoxNews.com that the department is not doing anything "out of the ordinary" in the event of a flood of claims due to a prolonged shutdown.
"We've gotten used to that with the current recession," he said. "We have staff available. We should be able to handle that."
New York, which has 130,000 federal workers, also said it was ready for a shutdown.
"A federal government shutdown will not impact New York's ability to disburse regular, extended and emergency unemployment benefits (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/#) to claimants," Leo Rosales (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/baseball/arizona-diamondbacks/leo-rosales.htm#r_src=ramp), spokesman for the state Department of Labor, told FoxNews.com.
In Texas, there are about 200,000 federal employees who can apply for benefits as soon as shutdown occurs. The maximum benefit is $415.
In Florida, the federal government's 175,000 workers can apply for benefits immediately. The top benefit is $275.
It's not yet clear which workers get to stay on the job during a shutdown. Under long-standing federal rules, agencies would not be affected that provide for U.S. national security, dispense most types of federal benefit payments, offer inpatient medical care or outpatient emergency care, ensure the safe use of food and drugs, manage air traffic, protect and monitor borders and coastlines, guard prisoners, conduct criminal investigations and law enforcement, oversee power distribution and oversee banks.
Mail deliveries would continue in the event of a shutdown. U.S. postal operations are not subsidized by tax dollars.
In Washington, 21,000 employees have been deemed essential and are expected to work. That includes police officers, firefighters and emergency officials as well as officials who work in public health and with school-age children. Notifications were going out Friday afternoon to employees.
Non-essential employees won't be able to come to work, volunteer or use their government-issued Blackberries (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/#).
The American Federation of Government Employees, the nation's largest federal union, filed a lawsuit against the Obama administration over the looming shutdown, arguing that ordering federal employees to work without pay during a shutdown violates the U.S. Constitution.
"Hundreds of thousands of federal employees will be required to work during a shutdown, and there's no guarantee that Congress will keep the administration's promise to pay those employees once the shutdown is over," AFGE National President John Gage said in a statement.

stitch
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM
So what does this mean. Gov workers get a paid vacation that we get to pay for. They are eligible for unemployment but yet they still get their salary when the budget is approved. What a cluster fuck.

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 07:59 PM
The tax systems he recommends are great. I've read about something similar called the "clean slate". Pretty much a hybrid of the two he talks about.

Yep, it sure would be good to see a tax system that can't be bent and twisted to enforce each side's idea of morality.

That's because we use the wrong kind of reactors. He talks about a better way here:

http://www.market-ticker.org/akcs-www?singlepost=2491667

As far as denying emergency care to illegals, it may be true that the majority of 2nd/3rd world countries do this, but 1st world countries don't. I don't think it would have wide public support here either.

Solve the part about illegals being here and you don't have to worry about it.

I would advocate for a limited primary health insurance system payed for through taxes, that covers basic medical care and emergency care, combined with a secondary private insurance market. Life long dialysis and other high cost procedures would not be covered by primary insurance.

I would prefer to see both be non-government functions.

dirkterrell
Tue Apr 26th, 2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/php/galleries/image.php/184/27/27.jpg

Ricky
Tue Apr 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Take away investors and profit from the medical and medical insurance industry, and you have an industry that has no choice but to focus on the patient first, not the profit. I'm really confused why this was never even considered.