PDA

View Full Version : Stove Prairie 1 - Interceptor 0 ?

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Not mine and didn't see it happen but I went up Rist and north on Stove Prairie yesterday to find that an apex cattle guard and pounds of scattered gravel took out a 1st gen Interceptor 750.

Looked like probably a lowside at lower speed. Bike standing up down off the road leaning against a barbed wire fence. Snapped some pics and will probably try to attach one later. Hope dude was alright!

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 08:07 AM
That's a real bummer. No need to be wrecking those.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM
when I first flew by it, I thought it could have been my old 500 that sold last year. Don't see a lot of those 1st gens around. Stopped and walked back with the camera to find it wasn't a 500.

When I came back down a couple hours later it was still there. I'm guessing the owner would be mailed a ticket if a cop drove by and found it down there?

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/Misc/010-VFditch.jpg
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/Misc/007-VFditch.jpg
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/Misc/004-VFditch.jpg

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 08:41 AM
That's an '85 700. Bummer.

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 08:54 AM
hopefully the rider is OK...maybe I'll go leave a note on it leaving my # incase he needs help moving it...

Vellos
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM
That looks like the north side of Stove Prairie, damn cattle guards.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM
That looks like the north side of Stove Prairie, damn cattle guards.

<snip>I went up Rist and north on Stove Prairie <snip>

:yes:

Vellos
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:15 AM
In my defense, half of what you post is nonsense. :)

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:18 AM
In my defense, half of what you post is nonsense. :)

Fair enough :lol:

MetaLord 9
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Who puts a cattle guard at the apex of a turn?

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Government workers? :dunno: A fair amount of gravel there too.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM
unfair amount of gravel there too.

fixed

Sean
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hopefully they either 1. got a lift from someone they were riding with, or 2. got up, made a phone call and got picked up. It doesn't look like the bike is too bad, hopefully he/she's fine.

Vellos
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:49 AM

There's 1 at the last turn on the southern top, and like 3 on the north side. It's really stupid... but at least most of them aren't in a turn.

MetaLord 9
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Government workers? :dunno:
You mean these guys?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/juniort2/Funny%20Signs/Sign-Shcool.jpg

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I've also heard nasty rumors about residents on that road dumping sand and gravel on the turns to injure or kill bikers. I don't know that I've been able to prove that, but sometimes I see WAY too much sand on the road, way too late in the season. Makes me think there's truth to that.

That's a nice but dangerous road even under the best of conditions. Lot of blind corners. Try riding it in the wet and hitting those slippery cattle-guards! Right Pilot and Sortarican? :)

As far as the idiot DOT guys, well, I've got a story: Ever see the pic of a dead critter painted over with a double yellow because the guy couldn't be bothered to scrape it off the road before painting? Well, I thought it was a funny staged or photochopped photo.......until I SAW that exact thing on a freshly painted road in Ohio years back!

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM
the road doesn't get enough traffic to clean it off...aside from the 3.5 people that live up there and us, nobody takes those roads...

also, there are quite a few places that have clusters of houses close to the road, if I lived up there and had a bunch of leather-clad asshats dragging knee in front of my driveway, I'd be inclined to install a speedbump or gravel trap as well...just imagine having a bunch of people flying up and down your street on sport bikes when your kids are outside playing, what would you say/do?

even if it is intentional, which I 100% believe it is not...it is not to injure or kill bikers, it is to make asshats slow the hell down on public roads...you should be riding to your own ability and the road conditions, blaming gravel in the event of a crash is just another name for rider error.

mathman1000
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 11:32 AM
the road doesn't get enough traffic to clean it off...aside from the 3.5 people that live up there and us, nobody takes those roads...

also, there are quite a few places that have clusters of houses close to the road, if I lived up there and had a bunch of leather-clad asshats dragging knee in front of my driveway, I'd be inclined to install a speedbump or gravel trap as well...just imagine having a bunch of people flying up and down your street on sport bikes when your kids are outside playing, what would you say/do?

even if it is intentional, which I 100% believe it is not...it is not to injure or kill bikers, it is to make asshats slow the hell down on public roads...you should be riding to your own ability and the road conditions, blaming gravel in the event of a crash is just another name for rider error.

Second that.....

brennahm
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 11:48 AM
^+2

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:09 PM
+3

Spooph
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I know that turn...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM

I read a story not long ago where a woman in OR or WA was found guilty of stringing a wire across the road specifically for bikers. She almost killed the guy. Regardless of intent (which is malicious at best and murderous at worst) the thing is that people CAN get injured or killed because of someone intentionally and ILLEGALLY putting a dangerous substance in the road. That's blind vigilante-ism at it's worst. Like the people that spike trees in OR or the people that dig pits and fill them with scrap metal along the Barstow to Vegas routes and in Baja. Yes, you should be riding for conditions, but what if some asshat puts down a light oil or coolant that's invisible to the eye? Just like you cannot put a trap on your own property to injure or kill a tresspasser, you sure can't do it on a public road. I'd personally peel the skin off someone I saw doing that......and roll 'em in salt.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_00O5cPxi7io/S1YPATPBMpI/AAAAAAAAB_s/BisZcThe9Gc/s400/hanstarted.jpg

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
well, I can tell you the sand on the north end of stove prairie was definitely applied with a dump trunk and road sanding attachment evenly across the whole stretch from Rist to 14. So, If we can just find one parked in the driveway of a local resident, we'll know who to string up.

Think
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 01:35 PM
There's another terrible placement of a cattle guard coming down that hill a little ways before it hits the Poudre. Ridiculous.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 01:50 PM
They MIGHT be doing that to slow people down. It sux, but if the Engineers felt that was a safe way, well, it's the system. I DO have a problem with vigilante's though. Pilot, Sortarican, and I had a bitch flat out try to hit us on the ride I mentioned, though not on Stove Prarie.

Again, I'll warn against riding Rist canyon unless they've paved over that extremely scary and magically gripless pavement East of the summit. I won't ride it.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM
yes, stay away from Rist

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/conspiracy.jpg

Outlawd, we should get together next week and ride Rist.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM
yes, stay away from Rist

Outlawd, we should get together next week and ride Rist.
Ah, I was being serious. Laugh if you like but don't come crying if something bad happens. The pavement there sux ass East of the summit unless they've repaved it in the last few years. Slippery as hell though it looks fine. I had the front suddenly wash out BAD twice on that road, had to put a foot down and dirt-bike it to save it both times, something I've NEVER had happen in almost 30 years of riding. frank2 was there with me and felt it too. And in walking it afterwards, found it like smooth concrete. The bicyclists we talked to that were familiar with that road all said the same thing. There's a downhill straight with a tight righthander heading East, and you can see TONS of dents, paint, and broken bits there on/by the guard rail. My other buddy watched a new Beemer M3 hit that because he couldn't get slowed because of lack of traction. Ride at your own risk though if you must. ;)

chad23
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 04:17 PM
i have never been a fan of rist, but i do love riding stove and buckhorn

puckstr
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM
VFR trashed

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWVl4uhUR0kjvrDU2y7ecJFUbsdGtoR rgnz9KfMXoLkfXr6XA1&t=1

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I have nothing against Rist, but I prefer Buckhorn...ignorant tight switchbacks aren't exactly fun on my pig of a bike...

Granted, I'm not as fast as frank, but I have never had any gription issues up there besides for sand/mag-chloride

I ran into an oil/diesel spill on P2P in the rain a couple years ago...scared the crap out of me as the entire bike slid 3 feet towards the white line in an instant...I would blame those pesky sand spreaders, but i also may have been following James Bond a little too close.

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 04:53 PM
VFR trashed

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Seriously. I wish people would understand the real tragedy in this thread.

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have nothing against Rist, but I prefer Buckhorn...ignorant tight switchbacks aren't exactly fun on my pig of a bike...

Granted, I'm not as fast as frank, but I have never had any gription issues up there besides for sand/mag-chloride

I ran into an oil/diesel spill on P2P in the rain a couple years ago...scared the crap out of me as the entire bike slid 3 feet towards the white line in an instant...I would blame those pesky sand spreaders, but i also may have been following James Bond a little too close. Whoa! Sounds Tre Scary!!!-C_M
Hey, don't be accusing old one-eyed ME of being fast! :) I just had some REALLY weird front end slides on that road, and swore never to ride it again. I'm surprised I saved them but they were both over before I could even think about it. When we walked it we tried sliding our boots on the asphalt, and it felt like there was only about as much traction as smooth concrete. So, you go railing around thinking everything's cool because you don't see any sand or anything, then.....SLIIIIDE! It happened on the way heading East so fast I thought there was oil or coolant on it. Then we got to the bottom, I turned us around to go see what the hell happened......and coming out of the bend I talked about I was going faster and it happened again even worse. Looked closely at both sections of road, and totally clean, but all the grip of a polished concrete floor. I'm just trying to urge extreme caution on that road, if you choose to ride it at all, I know how bad I could have been hurt if I'd have been railing down the straight heading East and hit the guardrail........ I don't want to see anyone hurt. I mentioned this before and another rider here echoed the same comment, forget who it was.

Be safe guys.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 05:32 PM
i have never been a fan of rist, but i do love riding stove and buckhorn
Stove is nice, if a little too tight (and infested with cattle guards) for my tastes North of the School. It is nice and good practice every once in a while though, and I like that it dumps you into the Poudre West of where the LEO's usually sit.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I like them because you don't have to go absurd speeds to get your lean on and have a good time.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I like them because you don't have to go absurd speeds to get your lean on and have a good time.
True, the accidents tend to be of lesser severity. I think they might be more frequent. It seems you usually see more crashes in the slow corners in racing though. Probably due to less stabilizing centrifical force.

I guess I just like the open sweepers where you can get this flowing rythym going. Like, on 125, one of my FAVORITE roads ever.

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Rist reminds me of Santa Cruz. I like it for that.

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I guess I just like the open sweepers where you can get this flowing rythym going. Like, on 125, one of my FAVORITE roads ever.

+10000

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
+10000
We should do that one soon Dave!

Think
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Rist has some nasty decreasing radius turns, especially going East. I've almost binned my bike a few times because they seem to come out of no where.

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 07:55 PM
:dunno:

http://www.hstatwistar.info/Winding%20Road.png

Spooph
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Rist has some nasty decreasing radius turns, especially going East. I've almost binned my bike a few times because they seem to come out of no where.

Yea, there's that one that always catches me off guard, right into the river if you loose your cool...

WolFeYeZ
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Can we buy this? :D
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/295181298-YHD5021TSL-sweeper-wholesalers.html
http://imgusr.tradekey.com/images/uploadedimages/offers/1/2/sell-road-sweeper-weihai-hoking-international-trading-co-ltd_B4446224-20100710154912.jpg

BC14
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 10:19 PM
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/295181298-YHD5021TSL-sweeper-wholesalers.html
http://imgusr.tradekey.com/images/uploadedimages/offers/1/2/sell-road-sweeper-weihai-hoking-international-trading-co-ltd_B4446224-20100710154912.jpg
I nominate Frank for driving duty:lol: He's already slow.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Sweet! I'll be sweeper! :) And I promise not to pass that Lil' Red Ninja right in front of me....... :)

OUTLAWD
Thu Apr 7th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I'll just follow the sweeper with a bag of kitty litter

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Apr 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I'll just follow the sweeper with a bag of kitty litter

:idea: That would take care of the oil slick from my automatic oiler Monkey was so worried about

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
:idea: That would take care of the oil slick from my automatic oiler Monkey was so worried about
Hah! But, i still don't think it'd clean up after Henry! :)