PDA

View Full Version : Plastics on a 92 f2.

Nobody
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I'm looking at those ebay plastics from hong kong, anything I should be wary of? How hard are they to install, am, I going to have a lot of work filing and drilling to get it to fit?

MetaLord 9
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I've got a set of race plastics for an F2 that I could let go for a pretty reasonable price. They're not super high-end, but they're not rashed up either

EDIT: They're not OEM plastics, but I was wrong, they're not race plastics either because there is a cut out for the headlight

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I ordered a set that I haven't installed yet. Paint, material, and form appears to be extremely close to OEM. There were some runs in the clear, but nothing you would notice unless you were looking hard for it. Material seems just as flexible and thick as OEM. Obviously the test will come at fitting time. I paid $500 shipped, although you may want to consider delkevic.us as their fairings come heat shielded and with all the grommets and shit.

usmcab35
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:31 PM
i had some for my old zx7 they looked the part but were off with some of the mounting holes, like more than a inch..

Nobody
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I've got a set of race plastics for an F2 that I could let go for a pretty reasonable price. They're not super high-end, but they're not rashed up either

If you can pm me some pictures when you get the chance that would be great! Being race plastics, I take it no cut out for lights and signals yeah?

MetaLord 9
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:37 PM
If you can pm me some pictures when you get the chance that would be great! Being race plastics, I take it no cut out for lights and signals yeah?
Edited my original post. Yeah, I believe there are cutouts for lights. I'll snap some pics when I get home from work & send 'em your way

McVaaahhh
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 12:55 PM
The only plastics you can get are for the 97/98 F3, which are different. Means you'll need a 97-98 F3 gas tank, seat, upper stay, headlight and taillight. I ended up doing that to a '91 F2 and made it fit, but with a lot of work and buying other parts.

Quality was not that great and I spent a lot of time making things fit right. I've heard they're decent for 97-98 F3's, but trying to retrofit was a pain in the ass.

If I had to do that all over I would've just bought rashed OEM plastics and had the whole bike custom painted.

Nobody
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM
The only plastics you can get are for the 97/98 F3, which are different. Means you'll need a 97-98 F3 gas tank, seat, upper stay, headlight and taillight. I ended up doing that to a '91 F2 and made it fit, but with a lot of work and buying other parts.

Quality was not that great and I spent a lot of time making things fit right. I've heard they're decent for 97-98 F3's, but trying to retrofit was a pain in the ass.

If I had to do that all over I would've just bought rashed OEM plastics and had the whole bike custom painted.

Really? Even though the listing as well as the tail fairing say 600f2, it's for an f3?

McVaaahhh
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Really? Even though the listing as well as the tail fairing say 600f2, it's for an f3?

At the time I did my project, there were NO F2 kits available so I bought the F3 fairing kit. Make sure it's definitely for an F2, there are some difference you can see on the lowers and the tail, especially the tail-light.

Nobody
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
At the time I did my project, there were NO F2 kits available so I bought the F3 fairing kit. Make sure it's definitely for an F2, there are some difference you can see on the lowers and the tail, especially the tail-light.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ABS-FAIRING-CBR600-F2-91-94-MATTE-BLACK-2O109-/400202031937?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2de66341

Does that look like it will work?

Nobody
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 02:09 PM
i had some for my old zx7 they looked the part but were off with some of the mounting holes, like more than a inch..

That I'm not concerned about, I doubt there are many aftermarket kits out there that don't have that issue. I'm just worried I will get stuck with a set that doesn't work.

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
That I'm not concerned about, I doubt there are many aftermarket kits out there that don't have that issue. I'm just worried I will get stuck with a set that doesn't work.

Actually I mocked up the upper and mids on my new fairing set today. Everything is lining up pretty well so far. There are some minor gap issues between the upper and mid, but you would have to be looking to notice it. The lowers look like they will line up very well.

Nobody
Wed Apr 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Actually I mocked up the upper and mids on my new fairing set today. Everything is lining up pretty well so far. There are some minor gap issues between the upper and mid, but you would have to be looking to notice it. The lowers look like they will line up very well.

Good to know. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a set of black plastics tonight if I don't hear back from meta lord.

Nobody
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 03:33 PM
New plastics ordered, can't wait!

Zach929rr
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 09:52 PM
It's also recommend that you dynaline at least the lower fairings and wrap your header for the aftermarket fairings.

Nobody
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 08:30 PM
It's also recommend that you dynaline at least the lower fairings and wrap your header for the aftermarket fairings.

Thanks for the tip!

chubster2003
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
those do look like f2 plastics, but i dont understand the tank cover, the f2's have a steel tank that doesnt have a cover..... sooooo... idk.. hahahaha the main LOOKS difference between the f2 and newer f3, is the tail is pointy on the 97+ f3, while the older f3 and f2 is square. the next main difference is the 97+ f3 has a removable side panel with 2 vent holes, while the f2, and older f3, has a single non removable.

my buddy used to have an 94 f2, and i had a 97 f3. quite a bit of things are the same between them, i stole his rearset for a few days when mine broke haha.

I put a set of Chinese plastics on my 600rr after a buddy laid my bike over..... i wont do that again... they are so much more brittle, and just a PITA to put on the bike... i think it took me like 6 hrs to get it all just right, had to break out the dremel a few times... i still cant get my lowers to fit right...

when my buddy laid my bike over it was about a 40mph low side and he didnt break any plastics, just some major rashing. the new chinese plastics... it fell over in my driveway, and cracked in 7 different places.... tail, front clip, and uppers.. i just couldnt belive it...

if i had to do it over again, i would fix the old plastics or just buy the pieces i needed.. i will never again get chinese plastics..

my $0.02

McVaaahhh
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Just looked at that link. those fairings look like they will work just fine. Post up pics when you're done with the upgrade. :up:

Nobody
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Just looked at that link. those fairings look like they will work just fine. Post up pics when you're done with the upgrade. :up:

Will do, I ended up going gloss black instead of matte but basically the same look. They take forever to come in, hopefully next month some time.

Edit got these cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fairing-Honda-CBR600-CBR-600-F2-Fairing-91-93-ABS-/380267347557?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5889b33e65

1BadSvt
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Will do, I ended up going gloss black instead of matte but basically the same look. They take forever to come in, hopefully next month some time.

Edit got these cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fairing-Honda-CBR600-CBR-600-F2-Fairing-91-93-ABS-/380267347557?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5889b33e65
Let us know how well those work. I wanted to order a set of those but was scared to lol.