PDA

View Full Version : altitude

spdu4ia
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Coming from Louisiana i've never really concerned myself with altitude obviously. How does the 6,000+ feet of altitude in CO affect the workings, HP, fuel mixture of a motorcycle?

discuss...

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 09:11 AM
You lose about 3% of your power for every 1,000' you go up from sea level.

jbnwc
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 09:14 AM
For one, you can use a lower octane fuel up here than at sea level. You obviously lose a ton of power, more if it's carb'ed. Carb's should be rejetted. FI will adjust for itself. The bike also has a harder time staying cool with the less dense air. If you gain a lot of elevation, you may want to pay attention to tire pressures, also. I notice that as I drive from Denver to Houston I lose at least 10psi in my car tires.

OUTLAWD
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I put a higher pressure rad cap on the gixxer, and the computer will adjust to a certain point, but its not nearly enough on my triumph...it runs way rich, ask anyone who follows me ;)

Wheatstraw
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I inflated my tires to the manufacturers spec and I feel like they are overinflated. Any thoughts?

OUTLAWD
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
tire manufacturer, or bike manufacturer?

Wheatstraw
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
tire manufacturer, or bike manufacturer?

Bike manufacturer spec.

CaneZach
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Bike manufacturer spec.

Talk to SCER about what pressure you should be running up here. You'll need to around 32 front, 36 rear, depending on your tires and riding style.

BC14
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I put a higher pressure rad cap on the gixxer, and the computer will adjust to a certain point, but its not nearly enough on my triumph...it runs way rich, ask anyone who follows me ;)
Oh yeah....smells like an old carb'd muscle car.......