PDA

View Full Version : Registration... Please Help

ScottieFlan
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ok, this story can get a little complicated, so bear with me... I bought my gixxer 750 in California last year (when I lived there). However, I was moving back to Denver a couple months later, so I figured it didn't make sense to register the bike out there. Well, during the move back to Denver, the title disappeared. I have all the papers he gave me, but the title is gone. I managed to find the seller's number after a full day of looking through cell phone bills. He was happy to help me out, but when he requested a duplicate title, the request was denied because he went to the DMV the day he sold it to me and released liability for it. He also said that when he did that, he gave them my Cali address and name. Well, I went to the DMV out here yesterday to see if there was anything they could do, but they said NO!!! WE CAN'T HELP YOU (surprise surprise). They did say something about a 9 step bonding process that I'm assuming will cost me a grand or so; they obviously didn't know anything about it.

My question is... Has anyone gone through this process before? I looked over the steps for it, and it seems pretty confusing. I would hate to spend $500+ then find out I did something wrong.

Otherwise, is anyone looking for a 08 gixxer 750 for a track bike :cry:

Vellos
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM
There is a process to get a bike with a lost title retitled, they check to make sure it's not reported stolen or anything. If you have the bill of sale and receipt for when you bought the bike that might help a lot. Unfortunately I don't know too much about it, but losing that dumb piece of paper isn't the end for your GSXR.

Try http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/replacing-a-lost-title.php ?

ScottieFlan
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah from what I understand I have to take it to a police department to get the vin checked ($20) and make sure it's not stolen. Then I have to get a title history search done ($10), then have it appraised at a minimum cost of $200, then get it bonded for TWICE the appraised value (wtf?). I'm still trying to figure out why I need to get a surety bond for a vehicle I paid cash for, which can be verified by the previous owner. Who knows... I'm planning on just jumping into this on Monday and hoping for the best. I guess it's more cost effective than selling my bike without a title and getting a new one. That was one expensive piece of paper.

Vellos
Fri Apr 8th, 2011, 09:43 PM
The DMV and everything related to it is really out of date. Paper records, checks, mail, and processes that take half a year. Needs a serious overhaul...

Squisha
Sun Apr 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Send ipuck a PM. He might be able to help. He doesn't get on this forum too much but I know he just went through what looked to me like a worst-case scenario with the titling/bonding/registration thing with a bike he bought. He might be able to help you. He would definitely be able to save you a wasted step or two!

MetaLord 9
Sun Apr 10th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'm bonding for title for a bike right now. This is what you do when the title is lost and the owner cannot be found or is unresponsive. Being as you got the bike in CA you'll pro by have more luck dealing with it in CA. Was the guy you bought it from the titleholder??