PDA

View Full Version : Tire Age?

Toner
Sat Apr 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Picked up a new set of Pilot Power 2CT's late last season and noticed this morning that they're dated 2007.

Irked me a little as I paid too much to begin with (my fault as it was an emergency purchase in Boulder) and now these "new" tires are going on 4 years old.

How old would you consider too old from a safety perspective?

I looked at the Michelin site and couldn't find any definitive answers. I mostly ride mountains 2-UP during the weekends and would appreciate your opinions for peace of mind.

Thanks!

konichd
Sat Apr 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM
It depends how they were stored, climate controlled on racks they are probably fine.

A 303 cycle we do not sell/install tires with a tire date of more than 2 years from manufacture date.

Hibs
Sat Apr 9th, 2011, 03:18 PM
from what this site says, you don't want something older then 6-7 years.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/tires.php

Toner
Sat Apr 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM
It depends how they were stored, climate controlled on racks they are probably fine.

A 303 cycle we do not sell/install tires with a tire date of more than 2 years from manufacture date.

It was a bigger dealer so I suspect that they were stored properly. Thanks for the insight! Wish they would have had the balancing beads too.

Toner
Sat Apr 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM
from what this site says, you don't want something older then 6-7 years.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/tires.php

Thanks for the site!

brennahm
Sat Apr 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
If you're used to riding 2 up in the canyons then hopefully you're a good enough rider to take them out for a spin and judge for yourself whether they are safe or not. I mean ultimately, what are you going to do - return them?

OUTLAWD
Sun Apr 10th, 2011, 01:07 AM
never ask a tire's age...they are sensitive with that sorta thing

Toner
Sun Apr 10th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I mean ultimately, what are you going to do - return them?
Yeah, knew that wouldn't be an option. Good advice, I just need to get on them and see how they stick. Thanks guys.

Vellos
Sun Apr 10th, 2011, 10:37 PM
When I bought my 08 ZX6R last season it had OEM 07 tires that lasted 8,000 miles. I wouldn't run them down to the wire though.

brennahm
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM
^Hopefully you wouldn't do that with ANY tire.

G35CO
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Did you contact the store that sold you the tires?