PDA

View Full Version : no self-service pumps in oregon!!!!

thaitanic
Sun Apr 10th, 2011, 11:39 PM
so im in portland, OR..i pull up to shell station, and i get out of my truck to get gas. than this dude comes up and says." its full service only by state law" im like WTF? since when? dude said since 1951!!!.i had no choice but to let some dude pump gas in my truck. i was also shocked at 89 grade at $4.09 per gallon!!!...what the hell kind of law is this? are people here that stupid or just lazy?

rybo
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 12:04 AM
It's to keep as many people in Oregon employed as possible. Oregon has been this way for MANY many years. They will let you fill you're own motorcycle if you insist.

s

Vellos
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Gasoline is an explosive liquid that should only be handled by professionals. They put their lives on the line so you don't have to endanger yourself.

WolFeYeZ
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I went to school in Oregon. One of the reasons has to be that they are just that stupid. :D

bodhizafa
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 01:04 AM
If I remember correctly, New Jersey is the same way. I think it was Jersey, I felt weird and kinda lazy just sitting in the car.

Vellos
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 01:10 AM
If I remember correctly, New Jersey is the same way. I think it was Jersey, I felt weird and kinda lazy just sitting in the car.

Yeah it's NJ, but that state has a better excuse than OR for not letting them self-serve.

http://guidosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/funny-guido-pictures-when-life-gives-you.jpg

Ricky
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
It's this way down in Guatemala. Gives people a job to do.

Wrider
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Well that and "back in the day" there were no automatically stopping gas pumps, and they got tired of people spilling fuel, so they made it illegal to pump your own gas.

longrider
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Well that and "back in the day" there were no automatically stopping gas pumps, and they got tired of people spilling fuel, so they made it illegal to pump your own gas.

I can accept that for 50 years ago, but what is the reason for maintaining the law? I would have repealed it at least when pay at the pump became standard. (20 years ago?) Of course we do want to be sure all those highly trained "petroleum dispensing technicians" have jobs...

UglykidJoe
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Of course we do want to be sure all those highly trained "petroleum dispensing technicians" have jobs...

umm yeah, they are called Fuel Transfer Technicians :roll:

lol

OUTLAWD
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 10:22 AM
the great state of NJ also has that law...I think that they actually have cheaper insurance rates for the station that way as well, and this wayt he station owners can employ all of their extended family

vort3xr6
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I almost knocked a dude out when I was driving from Seattle to Arizona. I had never been to oregon. I was on a 9 hour driving bender and pulled up to the pump. Saw some dude in my mirror fumbling around with my gas tank and hopped out and nearly clocked him.

Ricky
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Gasoline is a hazardous material, and therefore should only be handled by qualified hazmaterialitians.

OUTLAWD
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM
so violent man...sheesh

Wrider
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I almost knocked a dude out when I was driving from Seattle to Arizona. I had never been to oregon. I was on a 9 hour driving bender and pulled up to the pump. Saw some dude in my mirror fumbling around with my gas tank and hopped out and nearly clocked him.

LMAO I would have paid to see that!
When I was younger I went on a family vacation to Oregon and was very confused as to why someone else was filling up our tank. I was young enough I just thought he was being nice!

cbrjohnny
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
are they around 24 hours a day?

The GECCO
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 06:47 PM
are they around 24 hours a day?

only if the station is open 24 hours :lol:

no 24 hr pay-at-the-pump in oregon

Fernman
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM
"fill-er up and get me a bag of cheetos"...

modette99
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Nothing wrong with it, I wish they bring that back, the days when a full service station meant something. Those complaining you would never see a self service Propane, and with a OPD valve its not like you could overfill it but yet the guy wants to do it.

On the other hand I find it funny in the middle of nowhere North Carolina, GA and the like you have a pump and thats it with a credit reader...never anyone there to help.

Finklestein87
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 09:27 AM
http://www.electriqueboutique.com/shop/images/3743-301.jpg

Do they all look like this?

Fenrir
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Oh Great. Somebody spilled some gas and now I have to go to work. Thanks dousche bag...