PDA

View Full Version : Splitting lanes?

1BadSvt
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I was just wondering if it was legal here. I have seen many people doing it lately and wanna make sure I wont get a ticket before I start at the FT Carson gates.

salsashark
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM
yep... illegal in Colorado.

1BadSvt
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM
^That sucks :'(

Ricky
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 01:09 PM
It's not illegal if you don't get caught :lol:

1BadSvt
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
It's not illegal if you don't get caught :lol:
I only push my luck in the Canyons :loop:

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Besides In-N-Out this is the only thing Cali has that Colorado doesn't.

d3spair
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Trying to split here would be suicidal, you'd be dead in a week, because drivers here definitely aren't looking.

OUTLAWD
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
you are lucky to survive here period...woman eating cereal in morning traffic on friday...

nevermind I took the pic ;)

salsashark
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM
^^ my personal favorite was the woman I saw who was eating a plate of spaghetti balanced between her chest and the steering wheel. All this while going down I-25. :shock:

I was glad to be in my truck that morning.

Finklestein87
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM
you are lucky to survive here period...woman eating cereal in morning traffic on friday...

No Effing way..... :think:

CaneZach
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Trying to split here would be suicidal, you'd be dead in a week, because drivers here definitely aren't looking.

This. It's different in Cali, where riders have been splitting traffic for however long. In Colorado, you have morons, literal MORONS, driving who are completely oblivious to anything that isn't 20' ahead of them, so you can imagine what would happen if they allowed lane-splitting.

Mother Goose
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM
In California a week ago, we saw a lady eating ice cream, then pick up her phone and start texting. :slap:

sprtbkbabe
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Until texting/cell phones and eating/drinking are barned for all drivers, you take your life in your own hands when you lane split, anywhere.

Then again, that holds true on any two wheels

Even when I lane splitted in CA, I felt I was cheating death. Just be extra cautious where and when you do.

cbrjohnny
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 06:23 PM

there is a kid seat in the back too lmao!

Sarge
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I had to lane-split to save my ass today. I was heading through an intersection near a highway when this old lady in an OLD Cadillac decides she's NOT going to ride the yellow and slams on her brakes, stopping halfway in the intersection. (It was an exceptionally deep intersection, because of highway access, etc.) but she was barely 10 feet past the line when she STOPPED, and I was right behind her. I didn't do a full tire lock up, but I had my bike sliding sideways to avoid her. If she'd just continued through it wouldn't even have been close for either of us. Needless to say I felt like an ass, stopped ten feet past the line, bike to door with a little old lady in an old ass car.

BushyAR15
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I lived and rode many years in Kalifornia. Drivers are no better there. I've been in a lane next to someone, who looked right at me, and STILL came over.

Car drivers also seemed to be pissed that we could split traffic and would at times try to make it difficult or dangerous like opening their doors or squeeze the space between the lanes.

I also hate to say that some motorcyclist didn't follow the laws regarding lane sharing/splitting which pissed people off.

I haven't lived there in almost 20 years (thank gawd), but back then the rules were;

Lane splitting allowed up to 25 mph. You can not go faster than 5 mph above the surrounding traffic not to exceed 25 mph.

But there were motorcyclist that would split lanes even when the traffic was moving at a decent speed even up to the speed limit.

I used to have a long commute and decided to take my bike. It actually took alot of focus to split lanes, making sure people either saw you or you could see them. There was period where I was on the same schedule as an L.A Cop and we'd split lanes from the South Bay into the Valley.... Felt pretty safe then....

Just my .02, I wish they would allow lane splitting here.

Fernman
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Illegal indeed, It's survival if your a daily rider, however the bad-apple squids that decide to do suicidal splits in rush hour traffic ruin it for everyone.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM

Surfing.

bcwood
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Umm... the ocean, biking weather nearly year-round, San Francisco, 17 mile drive, beaches, Big Sur, Sea Otters, sea kayaking, whales, ships, GG bridge, Fresh produce everywhere, a boardwalk...

Sarge
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Umm... the ocean, biking weather nearly year-round, San Francisco, 17 mile drive, beaches, Big Sur, Sea Otters, sea kayaking, whales, ships, GG bridge, Fresh produce everywhere, a boardwalk...

Sounds like somebody needs to move back to Cali...

BushyAR15
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Kalifornia also has bullshiz gun laws, uber liberal politicians, uber high taxes, lots of petty crime, is nearly bankrupt, gang bangers, law-suit hungry people, traffic that borders on insane, rude self-centered phucks, crappy place to raise kids unless you like raising your kids to believe they are entitled; motorcycles with charcoal canisters, high insurance rates for motorcyclist, no such thing as a deal at the end of the riding season cause its always riding season, lock your bike to something immovable or it won't be there when you come back to it.....

There is ZERO I miss about Kalifornia...

I'm so glad I live in Colorado!

Fernman
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Kalifornia also has bullshiz gun laws, uber liberal politicians, uber high taxes, lots of petty crime, is nearly bankrupt, gang bangers, law-suit hungry people, traffic that borders on insane, rude self-centered phucks, crappy place to raise kids unless you like raising your kids to believe they are entitled; motorcycles with charcoal canisters, high insurance rates for motorcyclist, no such thing as a deal at the end of the riding season cause its always riding season, lock your bike to something immovable or it won't be there when you come back to it.....

There is ZERO I miss about Kalifornia...

I'm so glad I live in Colorado!
true but it starting to look like Cali in certain parts of CO.:poo:

Fernman
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM

haha, that is funny,I just saw the reflection, how the hell did you take the pic on the bike?:think:

Swift
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM
haha, that is funny,I just saw the reflection, how the hell did you take the pic on the bike?:think:
I'd guess gopro unless he is secretly half spider monkey.

Fernman
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'd guess gopro unless he is secretly half spider monkey.
:poo:
No pun intended but I'm gonna go with half Spidermonkey :)

Penadam
Mon Apr 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Was riding down 25 and saw a guy reading a book and driving. In the passenger seat was a woman who was not reading. I couldn't understand why they just didn't switch places.

fiveninerzero
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I've been to several countries in South East Asia, rented scooters to get around in Vietnam and Indonesia, rented a CBR400F in the Philippines, and rented a brand new R1 in Thailand. Lane splitting is the norm there, drivers look at you funny if you don't go down the middle at a light. (If they even pay attention to the red light) People drive the craziest I have ever seen in SE Asia, and I have been to parts of Europe, Africa and North Asian countries like Korea and Japan where drivers are passive and submissive (some might say "civilized")

I have seen cars jump the curb in Vietnam when traffic on the main road is full. I've seen women riding scooters with her family of 3 and the oldest boy holding the new born baby on the back in his hands, I've seen 40" plasma screens and pigs on scooters on the lap in the Philippines.

If they can survive lane splitting there, then why can't we do it here?

Swift
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Yet somehow the DOT feels that lane splitting is too dangerous and reckless for acceptance in the U.S.

Go figure.

I make a habit of cutting to the front of a large line of traffic at stop lights to avoid being an easy (or unseen) target. Mind you I don't do it in view of the law, but I feel my safety is priority 1 over the law. If a cop wants to give me a ticket for staying out of harms way, fine, at least I won't end up on the 9 o'clock news getting my 5 minutes of fame as a strawberry pancake.

Captain Obvious
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:06 AM
......she was barely 10 feet past the line when she STOPPED, and I was right behind her. ......... Needless to say I felt like an ass, stopped ten feet past the line, bike to door with a little old lady in an old ass car.

So you got out-braked by and old lady in a Caddy? :)

Mother Goose
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM

Mmmm, Boston Market.