PDA

View Full Version : Northglenn I-25 speed traps

Ricky
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 10:39 AM
For those of you that are familiar with the speed trap run off the pedestrian bridge over I25 just North of 104th Ave, this will be some useful information for you. I hate speed traps, but I also respect the idea that excessive stupidity and speed can endanger yourself and others. However, I'm not excited about the idea of creating an unsafe situation on the road, in an effort to catch people speeding.

The last 2 times this trap was run (it's known as IMPACT DAYS to Northglenn police), I was nearly sideswiped by someone paying attention to the police, and not to those around them. With 7+ officers having people pulled over, it creates a traffic jam, and people become inattentive and make stupid decisions. I've started feeling unsafe on that stretch of road while this trap is being run. Every other day, it's quite normal. Forget my hate for speed traps, I'm now feeling unsafe while they run this trap. I contacted the Northglenn police and expressed my concern with their tactics and what it does to traffic while it's running. I explained that I'd take another way to work on the days they run them, if I knew beforehand. Especially when I'm on my bike. The chief of police gladly provided me with the list of days they plan to run these impact days, and said I could share them with whoever. He says the idea is to get people to slow down, and reduce accidents. Not to generate revenue. Being that he gave me this info and wants me to share it, that makes it seem like it's more about safety than revenue generation, and for that I give them kudos.

Enjoy!

Day Shift Impacts
March 30 (Wed)
April 7 (Thu)
April 21 (Thu)
May 12 (Thu)
June 9 (Thu)
July 21 (Thu)
August 4 (Thu)
August 25 (Thu)
September 1 (Thu)
October 13 (Thu)
November 3 (Thu)

Night-time CDOT Speed Grant Impacts
May 6 (Fri)
May 28 (Sat)
June 10 (Fri)
June 25 (Sat)
July 1 (Fri)
July 30 (Sat)
Aug 12 (Fri)
Aug 20 (Sat)
Sept 10 (Sat)
Sept 30 (Fri)

Edit: I've never seen them run this on the Southbound side of I-25. Only for Northbound traffic.

Titus
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
:up:

Aracheon
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Well done! Thanks! :D

Wrider
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Nice! Got caught there once at 3 AM doing 95 trying to get back home. Awesome officer reduced it to a ticket for no seatbelt (I was wearing one, in a cage). Let me go with the stern warning to slow down and "If you show up to court to challenge this, I will be there and you will get the original ticket." That ticket was paid ASAP haha.

OUTLAWD
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM
nice! this will def come in handy for my bike night and other social gathering commutes

Airreed
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM
ouch....I'm glad i live on the South side of town!

CaneZach
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 12:29 PM
For those of you that are familiar with the speed trap run off the pedestrian bridge over I25 just North of 104th Ave,

I was nearly sideswiped by someone paying attention to the police, and not to those around them.

I'm now feeling unsafe while they run this trap.

I feel unsafe just about ANY time I have to ride I25 lol

In all seriousness, I've nearly been sideswiped three times on I25. The last time, the female driver who Can't Understand Normal Thinking put me onto the left shoulder because she was oblivious to everything around her. Despite laying on my bike's horn (which, in all fairness, is about as loud as a hair dryer), she still charged into my lane. What happened to looking over your shoulder before changing lanes???

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
sticky this ish

Ricky
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I feel unsafe just about ANY time I have to ride I25 lol

In all seriousness, I've nearly been sideswiped three times on I25. The last time, the female driver who Can't Understand Normal Thinking put me onto the left shoulder because she was oblivious to everything around her. Despite laying on my bike's horn (which, in all fairness, is about as loud as a hair dryer), she still charged into my lane. What happened to looking over your shoulder before changing lanes???

This is kinda the story I relayed to the police chief in Northglenn. My fear is that I'll be on my motorcycle, someone will move into my space, and I'll have to go on the shoulder, resulting in me hitting the back of a stopped cop car. I almost got hit last Thursday. Luckily I was in my car, and quite visible.

OUTLAWD
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I ride ver offensively on I25...in both senses of the word...I don't swerve around too much, and I don't split lanes, but I don't stay in one spot too often, and def never in anybody's blind spot...especially women ;)

and my bike is not quiet ;) ...short of them being deaf, they hear me...

usmcab35
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I don't mind I25, but don't like I225. Great post showing all the dates!!!

BC14
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Any superslab freeway is a sheep/zombie magnet. I ride very proactive/aggressive/offensive all the time when on those types of roads; constantly watching the mirrors and scanning the road ahead and to the sides.

Thanks for the postings.

Fernman
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks!

tarded400
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
"Not about revenue generation"

Yeah,.... right.

Ricky
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Bump

99 zx6r
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
bump! thanks for the heads up. havent been on i-25 yet. just got my actual "L" last week. now i can ride at night and on highways. anyone wanna ride?

Ricky
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM
REMINDER!!! TOMORROW IS AN IMPACT DAY!

Slow down and don't donate any money to the Northglenn Police Party Fund.

Skinbabe
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 09:43 PM
and def never in anybody's blind spot...especially women ;)

I will suffocate you in your sleep at the next race.... And yes I'm going so the rv is going... So I will know where you are when you sleep..... :twisted:

thankgod
Thu Jul 21st, 2011, 11:20 AM
City of Northglenn just fucked (no lube or spit) me outta 220.00 bucks! Tried to let the judge know that the speed limit there is 65 and not 55 after getting off the 104th on ramp North on I-25. I took photos and showed him but he still wasn't having it. knocked it down from a 6 point to a 3 for failure to signal while making a turn. But I was clocked 84 in a "55". :jerkoff: And their will be about 10-15 cops waiting along side the road, in the dark, right before boondocks.:yay: Hope they can use the monies to help fix some of our roads.

Ricky
Thu Jul 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
If they are sitting near boondocks, that is Thornton. Once you pass under the 112th Ave bridge, that's the end of Northglenn. If Northglenn is clocking you from there, they are outside of their jurisdiction. But I've never seen them sit there. That's my daily route to work, so I pay close attention.

However, if they clock you from the pedestrian overpass, you were in a 55mph zone. The speed limit does not change until right after that. That's why they run the trap at that point, because they know the speed limit is ridiculous, and it's easy to catch people there.

koru
Thu Jul 21st, 2011, 01:09 PM
I think if you go fast enough the radar gun just beeps and flashes red and blue and says pull over.

Trainwreck
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Thank you for this! My company has trucks that drive that strech all the time. Info passed on!!

Ricky
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Forgot today was another IMPACT DAY. They weren't running this morning, but they sure were out at lunch time. Pulled over a guy that was right in front of me.

mdlb
Sun Aug 7th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

madvlad
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Just a warning speed trap on 144th avenue to about 120th heading southbound I 25. just cruised by there about 5 minutes ago be very careful. Two cops on harley bikes and a chevy van

P.S actually make that all the way down to 84th avenue

grim
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Just a warning speed trap on 144th avenue to about 120th heading southbound I 25. just cruised by there about 5 minutes ago be very careful. Two cops on harley bikes and a chevy van

P.S actually make that all the way down to 84th avenue

sent from my verizone phone while riding!

FIXED THAT FOR YA :lol:

madvlad
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Lol you can't match my cool squidnesseseses lol... I'm on a work car, had to do a roadside call up in longmont

Ricky
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM
They are always out at lunch time between 120th and 84th. Northglenn and Thornton. However:

Northglenn NEVER checks the southbound side between 120th and 104th. Northglenn does not end until halfway between 104th and Thornton Pkwy. Northglenn only gives a shit about northbound traffic in the 55mph zone. They tend to sit on the northbound 104th offramp, onramp and the pedestrian bridge north of there.

Thornton constantly watches the southbound side from north of Thornton Pkwy, all the way to 84th. They can't patrol beyond that, because that's where Denver starts. They also watch northbound from 84th (though I haven't seen them patrol there since 84th bridge construction started), 88th ave (under the bridge) Thornton Pkwy on and off ramps. Halfway to 104th is where it goes to northglenn.

Lunch time is the time where traffic is lightest, thus the best time to catch speeders. I just got a perf award from Thornton about 2 weeks ago for 70 in a 55. I basically berated the cop and made him out to be a worthless piece of shit. Then I called his sergeant and told him that next time his officer pulls me over, he'd better ask me to pull off my helmet to verify that I am the person on the identification I gave. Then I caught him in a lie because the cop said the speed limit used to be 65 (it has never been 65 on that stretch from 84th to thornton pkwy). I just like to give these assholes a run for their money. You're going to give me a ticket? Then I'm going to be a big fat pain in your ass, and you'll never forget it.

Fuck cops running speed traps

madvlad
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I see, I was just posting as a heads up to the people in the area. I was driving by and saw them on the southbound side clocking people