PDA

View Full Version : PPIR trackdays

CaneZach
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Guys and gals, PPIR has designated the next two mondays as Test and Tune days for Motorcycles only at PPIR. Gates open at 0800, track goes hot from 0900-1230, break for lunch, and hot again from 1330-1700. Fee is $150 for a full day.

http://www.ppir.com/calendar/calendar-of-events

rybo
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
From Paul Jensen at PPIR

Motorcycle Test and Tune for racers and experience Track Day participants only.

Gates will open at 8am and track will go hot at 9am until 12:30, and from 1:30 until 5pm. Fee is $150 per Rider; includes garage and electricity.

There will be no concessions or fuel available for sale so plan accordingly. Please send track manager, Paul Jensen an email if you are planning to attend. paul.jensen@ppir.com

Ninja2
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Scott, how does Paul at PPIR define experienced track day participants? I've been to two Chicane and two FAAST. Oh, I should also mention that I was the (only?) one who missed the exit at HPR and the fast group had the pleasant experience to do one lap with me.

Zach, might be interested in the 25th if BadR6 helps me drain my bike before then.

rybo
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Scott, how does Paul at PPIR define experienced track day participants? I've been to two Chicane and two FAAST. Oh, I should also mention that I was the (only?) one who missed the exit at HPR and the fast group had the pleasant experience to do one lap with me.

Zach, might be interested in the 25th if BadR6 helps me drain my bike before then.

He means that you've actually done a trackday before. You're qualified!

Have fun!

Scott

~Barn~
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Entirely... Okay, marginally off topic...

Is RS2L ever going to go back to PPIR?

If you can go to this, do it. PPIR is such a fun track to put laps on; if you've never been there, it's worth the trip.

675Rider
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Havent done PPIR, how is it?

CaneZach
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Havent done PPIR, how is it?

It's a fun little track. There are some issues with the track itself, like bumpy sections around T1 and T2, but it's not as bad as Pueblo.

Rabea, if you need help, give me a call and I'll gladly give you a hand.

Bueller
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I really don't care for the track that much, I will always spend my track $ on the other 2.

Graphite675
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Thinking about doing this myself just because I have never ridden PPIR. Going to keep and eye on the weather and see what I looks like for this Monday or next.

Do you have to pre-register? If so is there a cut of date?

CaneZach
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Thinking about doing this myself just because I have never ridden PPIR. Going to keep and eye on the weather and see what I looks like for this Monday or next.

Do you have to pre-register? If so is there a cut of date?

Just send an email to paul.jensen@ppir.com to let him know you plan on attending. I don't believe there's a cutoff date, since everyone pays at the track.

fiveninerzero
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I'll see if I can get out there next week. Need to make some bondo repairs and re-spray to the race bodywork on my trackbike. Hopefully I get the time to do so this weekend.

rforsythe
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Is RS2L ever going to go back to PPIR?

We've been trying, but so far the response has not been in the affirmative. However tracks are facing massive budgetary issues (as is the entire motor sports industry), and with insurance costs rising asking them to let us ride on their insurance policy carries more risk for them despite how safe and clean we run our events. It's just a lot harder to get what we need for a charity event than it was even a few years ago, and I don't know when or if that situation will change.

Because of that I don't know whether we will have an event in 2011 at all, however I do still encourage people to go out and ride at local track days / test and tune type stuff. PPIR is definitely a fun track, and the work we did last season to reconfigure turn 1 for motorcycles makes that part of the track safer.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM
...and the work we did last season to reconfigure turn 1 for motorcycles makes that part of the track safer.What did you do to turn one? I loved that 155mph drop in with a pretty harsh transition from the bank to the hot pit lane!!!!! The transition was awesome!! I love when the bike shakes, but in a controllable manner.

Another cool spot was coming off the hot pit onto the back straight. My bike would shake all the way up to the wall. I LOVE that track, wish it was longer!

UglyDogRacing
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 12:39 PM
What did you do to turn one? I loved that 155mph drop in with a pretty harsh transition from the bank to the hot pit lane!!!!! The transition was awesome!! I love when the bike shakes, but in a controllable manner.

Another cool spot was coming off the hot pit onto the back straight. My bike would shake all the way up to the wall. I LOVE that track, wish it was longer!

We brought the race line down lower on the banking after you cross the start finish line so that your braking and turn-in is lower and gets the riders away from the wall. By doing that we centralized the impact zone if a rider does go down and can adequately cover it with air fence. The way it was previously left too much of the wall open for impact. I personally like the old config better but we just didnt have the straw bales and the amount of air fence the AMA had when it was run years ago.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
We brought the race line down lower on the banking after you cross the start finish line so that your braking and turn-in is lower and gets the riders away from the wall. By doing that we centralized the impact zone if a rider does go down and can adequately cover it with air fence. The way it was previously left too much of the wall open for impact. I personally like the old config better but we just didnt have the straw bales and the amount of air fence the AMA had when it was run years ago.Remember in '05 when Applesauce shit canned it in turn one and his bike continued on, hit the wall, rolled back down to the hot pit and into the race line and 'ghost rode' about three or four complete circles? And, to make it more exciting, the leaders were coming into that turn as his bike made the last circle and fell over right in the race line. Kim's Mom was out that day, her first time, and I'm pretty sure we heard Mike yell "yee haa" as he slid by at about 130mph. She was in shock for a split second, but when he stopped sliding and jumped up, she understood... Ahhh, the good ol' days!!!!

hcr25
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 02:18 PM
:pointlaugh:
Im not sure what i said while i was sliding on my back but I do remember yelling to the corner workers to catch my bike during its slow speed ghost circles down the banking. Only damage to the bike beyond the worn down frame sllider and footpeg was a small amount of rash on the bodywork and a bent rotor and clutch lever.. A couple of people said my leathers were smoking when i stood up. There is a picture somewhere of this. The best part of this was i put on a new suit and got on my 750 about 30 minutes later. The looks I got, people who saw the crash couldnt figure out why my bike and leathers didnt have a mark on them.

Vehicle 1
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM
What did you do to turn one? I loved that 155mph drop in with a pretty harsh transition from the bank to the hot pit lane!!!!! The transition was awesome!! I love when the bike shakes, but in a controllable manner.

+1
Loved this turn too, it taught me how to stay relaxed on the handlebars when shit seems to be getting out of hand... loved it!

UglyDogRacing
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Turn 1 is not much slower with the new configuration. You're just making your turn in at a lower point on the banking. You can still carry 100mph plus through it.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Turn 1 is not much slower with the new configuration. You're just making your turn in at a lower point on the banking. You can still carry 100mph plus through it.With the stock gearing, my speedo would read 155+ dropping into turn one. So, probably 140 actual.

I've seen 197 at Pueblo (stock gearing). Probably 175 actual.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 03:45 PM
With the stock gearing, my speedo would read 155+ dropping into turn one. So, probably 140 actual.

I've seen 197 at Pueblo (stock gearing). Probably 175 actual.

I think your speedo is off more than that. When Glenn had his radar gun out at Pueblo a few years back, the fastest speed he clocked on the front straight was Hendry at just under 170 on his stroker R1.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I think your speedo is off more than that. When Glenn had his radar gun out at Pueblo a few years back, the fastest speed he clocked on the front straight was Hendry at just under 170 on his stroker R1.Was Glenn's gun properly tuned? With the stock gearing, my speedo was off 10% on a tuned radar gun. Well.. supposedly tuned. A laser showed the same 10%, too.

I've even made runs at the 'radar-speed-limit' signs and they show a 10% error as well. Either way, it's nothing I'm worried about...

~Barn~
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
"I betcha I can throw this football over them mountains!"

T1 @ PPIR > T1 @ PMP, no matter how fast you're going. :yes:

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
"I betcha I can throw this football over them mountains!"

T1 @ PPIR > T1 @ PMP, no matter how fast you're going. :yes:The more I think about it, the more it seems like it was 187 at Pueblo...

The GECCO
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Was Glenn's gun properly tuned? With the stock gearing, my speedo was off 10% on a tuned radar gun. Well.. supposedly tuned. A laser showed the same 10%, too.

I've even made runs at the 'radar-speed-limit' signs and they show a 10% error as well. Either way, it's nothing I'm worried about...

The error percentage isn't linear, it grows exponentially as speed increases due to wind resistance and tire slippage.

166 was the highest speed I ever saw at PMI, it was Brad Hendry.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
The error percentage isn't linear, it grows exponentially as speed increases due to wind resistance and tire slippage.

166 was the highest speed I ever saw at PMI, it was Brad Hendry.It's always been explained to me that the error is exponential, but the percentage stays the same. That's how the speedo healers work. You dial in the percentage of error. Again, that's how it is always explained to me.

We did several runs at 100, 120 and 140 and the error was the same, percentage wise. Perhaps the higher speeds do change the error, me haz no clue...

That would be a fun event. Get a bunch of knuckle heads together and shoot everyone with a radar gun. Where to do it would be the problem!

rforsythe
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Assuming absolute correlation between bike speed and tire speed, the percentage of error should be the same (obviously 10% of 10mph is a lower value than 10% of 150mph). If the tire speed is altered due to slip or other factors, that error percentage will not be constant and whether it moves your readout up or down is entirely dependent on how it's measured and what caused the error.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 12:17 PM
At the higher speeds you probably are spinning the tire pretty good. I followed Turpin around PPIR and his R6 left a black mark all the way down the straight.

rybo
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
That and as you pitch into the corner you're rolling of the center of the tire (largest diameter) to the edge (smaller diameter) which would raise wheel speed and indicate as a higher speed on the gauge.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 12:25 PM
That and as you pitch into the corner you're rolling of the center of the tire (largest diameter) to the edge (smaller diameter) which would raise wheel speed and indicate as a higher speed on the gauge.
Yeah, I'm just talkin' 'bout the straights, top speed.

Set up a high speed shoot out, Scotty!!! Know anyone with a runway?!?