PDA

View Full Version : TrailRge Question

Neb954
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I have to admit that I’m not a big contributor to this section but due to my location (Omaha) I can’t really add to it. I do however frequent this area a lot for I sort of live vicariously through the posts, for I love to hear about the roads and miss them greatly!

Anyway I’m going to be getting back out there in June with some friends and I was wondering about TrailRge Road.. How is the road dropping down into the Granby area? I’ve been on it up to the peak but then came back due to construction occurring. I’m just trying to plan a longer ride and thought about heading up there and go through the Granby, WP area. (along with hitting a road NE of Grandby). I know that RV’s might be a big hazard during this time but still may consider it.

Any input would be appreciated.

We plan on staying in the Boulder area for I’m very familiar with the roads in that location.

Thanks in advance and feel free to shoot me a PM instead of posting.

(BTW: TrailRge road is misspelled on purpose due to internet scouters)

BigE
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Very fun ride, just take into account that is National Forest and yes, in summer the traffic can be heavy. Ride it to enjoy the scenery. Then ride some other roads to enjoy your ride ;).

BC14
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Go during the week, if you can. Much less traffic and you can stop and get some good pics easier.

asp_125
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Checked on NPS.gov but I did not find any current news about road construction. I recall most of the east side was done last year and some of the west side as well. Even if you get stuck waiting can you imagine a more scenic place for a traffic jam?

aerofaze
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Very fun ride, just take into account that is National Forest and yes, in summer the traffic can be heavy. Ride it to enjoy the scenery. Then ride some other roads to enjoy your ride ;).

Big +1. Scenery is incredible and that's what TrailRge is good for. Grand Lake (on the Granby side) is a cute town in which to grab lunch and walk around.

Neb954
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Excellent thanks for the info and thats what I was wanting to know.. We'll possibly hit it on a thursday and come back into boulder area via WP and wind our way I70/blkhawk.

Thanks again!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I went over it in Nov and the road has been freshly redone. It's an AMAZING road. Then, if you have time, go thru Grand Lake to Granby, head North on 125 up thru Rand and walden, then turn East and go down the Poudre to Ft. Collins. As mentioned, it IS a Nat'l Park, so watch for idiot tourists and their campers stopping in the middle of the road to gawk and take pics, and also realize the Rangers can and WILL give you a ticket if you do something stupid. Enjoy!

FZRguy
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
+1 on CM's route. Might add Stove Prairie Rd too for a great one-day ride.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks Jon! I debated adding that, but it's kind of an obscure turnoff and easy to miss if you don't know where it is. I believe it's a sign to Masonville.

Neb954
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks CM I was thinking of hitting 125 and then just backtracking. However I may propose we do just what you mentioned for there is a slim possibility I might be in the Walden area come Sept this year.

Thanks again guys!

TFOGGuys
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Keep in mind there is a significant possibility of snow on Trail Ridge Road 365 days a year, so plan for cooler temps at the top. Traffic can be a serious pain in the clutch hand, and the rangers aggressively enforce the speed limits within the park. Great scenery, and a great gateway to lots of fun roads.

BigE
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I went over it in Nov and the road has been freshly redone. It's an AMAZING road. Then, if you have time, go thru Grand Lake to Granby, head North on 125 up thru Rand and walden, then turn East and go down the Poudre to Ft. Collins. As mentioned, it IS a Nat'l Park, so watch for idiot tourists and their campers stopping in the middle of the road to gawk and take pics, and also realize the Rangers can and WILL give you a ticket if you do something stupid. Enjoy!

SHHHHH!!!!

Umm, those roads are no fun at all.

But if you go give me a yell :lol:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM
.....I haven't figured out yet if "125" is the route number or the average speed.......a few more rides might be in order to fully ascertain that...... :)

A warning: If you decide to do Stove Prarie road, be CAREFUL, as it's a very tight, technical, tricky road with lots of blind/crest of hill apex's, also with sand, and cattle guards at the apex's just for extra fun. In addition, the road from walden, where it starts to gain elevation, is pretty beat up with potholes and big bumps, so watch that as well.

Otherwise, have fun and be safe!