PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic oil sitting life

Ricky
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Bought my CBR brand new, and have been sticking to the factory maintenance schedule for oil changes. Last year I severely injured my ankle, and had to have surgery which basically ruined my summer. I only put 500 miles on the bike in the latter part of the year last year.

Bike now has about 13,800 miles on it. Last changed oil at 12k. That was August of 2009. I put in a Honda filter and Honda full synthetic oil. I'm prepared to do an oil and filter change, but I'm starting to question whether or not it's worth it. I'm just used to changing the oil each summer at least once.

Should I worry about the life of the oil since it's synthetic and been 18+ months since a change?

rybo
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Oil is better than we give it credit for. If it was my bike I'd probably change it, but that doesn't mean that it's necessary. It's probably more than just fine and you'd be more than safe riding it. Check the level, check the color and go ride.

In a bottle the stuff will last forever. It's when it's run in the engine that it picks up contaminants and becomes slightly acidic. This is unlikely any kind of problem with only 1800 miles on the oil. I run synthetic in my truck for 5000-7500 miles before changing it and have sent that oil off to Blackstone labs for analysis and been told that it's more than good enough to have kept running.

I say don't worry about it and go ride.

s

Ricky
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Sick... I figured as much. No reason to spend $50 and all that time on an oil change, if I don't need to.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I use Silkolene Race full synthetic and the oil never changes color. Still the pretty red when I change it. I'm tempted to double my change intervals.

Ford now recommends 10,000 on the diesels. The manual says 7,500 max. I like the new 10,000 mile thinking! I mean, there's 15 quarts in there, you would think it would last a while!!