PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Legacy vs Volvo S60

D_Sp8s
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Here is my conundrum:

I am still driving my college car and I am desperately in need of a new car. I have basically narrowed it down to either a 2005+ Subaru Legacy or a Volvo S60 ( or S40).

AWD is a MUST! This is why I've narrowed it down to these two. I am not extremely interested in Audi or BMW due to the cost factor.

I have done quite a bit of research on these cars. I would love either the Legacy 2.5GT or the S60 2.5T AWD (S40 T5 AWD). However, I haven't decided how much I want to spend. Therefore the lower option would only really be the Legacy 2.5i because there are no lower end volvo's with AWD.

Are there any cars I haven't considered?

What would you do?

Do you own one of these cars? What do you like/dislike about it?

Should I look at private sellers or dealerships?

On your marks.....get set.....GO!

TransNone13
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 11:09 PM
How much are you willing to spend?

BC14
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM
V70R...done....:p

Wrider
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Do you plan on modifying it? If so go with the Legacy 2.5GT. Same powertrain as the WRX from what I understand.
Otherwise, Volvo is a great car too, and you can say you have a "Svedissshhh" car.

Vellos
Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I thought only overprotective mothers were allowed to buy Volvos?

Subaru gets my vote!

TransNone13
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM
The only reason I ask is because TD is the way to go and BMW has the 325X in diesel. Significantly longer operating life and better fuel consumption.

aerofaze
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I considered the same two models a few years ago. Decided I'd do the Colorado thing and got my Subie WRX from a private seller via cars.com.

If you go the dealer route, consider heading down to Heuberger Motors (http://www.heubergermotors.com/index.htm)in the Springs: they're the nation's largest volume Subaru dealer which may translate to better out-the-door prices.

brennahm
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Go Subaru if you're going to buy a vehicle with less than 75k miles. Volvo's have a lot of reliability problems (Volvo lovers coming out of the woodwork...), but then you'll be doing head gaskets at some point soon after 125k on your Subaru...

Ricky
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Subaru has the reliability!

Wrider
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
If you do decide to go Subaru send me a PM. There's a dealer/repair shop up in Denver that works exclusively on Subies, and every Subie they sell has had the head gasket replaced.

D_Sp8s
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
How much are you willing to spend?

I am in the wide range of $8k-$12k, the range is so large b/c I am furiously saving up for a down payment. Also I am quite indecisive, hence this thread.

Subaru gets my vote!

You wouldn't be saying that if you hit up the denver auto show and saw some of the newer volvos...

Go Subaru if you're going to buy a vehicle with less than 75k miles. Volvo's have a lot of reliability problems (Volvo lovers coming out of the woodwork...), but then you'll be doing head gaskets at some point soon after 125k on your Subaru...

Currently my 92 Subie wagon has 190k and I honestly haven't put more than $1000-1200 in repairs since I acquired it around 145k. However, now it needs quite a bit of TLC and $$$, which I am not willing to put into it.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:36 AM
my little bro had a 2005 S60 type R and man that thing was expensive to repair...if i remember correctly he dropped over $5k in repair/maintenance in the year he had it...sick car...disgustingly expensive.

rybo
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:43 AM
The only reason I ask is because TD is the way to go and BMW has the 325X in diesel. Significantly longer operating life and better fuel consumption.

I really don't know that I agree with this.

Do some math and see how long it's going to take you to recover the 4K-5K premium you're going to pay for the diesel engine on the front end with the improved fuel economy, especially when Diesel fuel is outpacing gas prices significantly due the the price of crude oil rising. I think you're going to find that unless you drive A LOT you won't ever recover.

Also, the engine may experience a significant increase in operating life, but repairs when needed will be more expensive.

Furthermore, while the engine itself will last longer, the rest of the vehicle is the same as what's used in the gas version. I submit that you will experience ancillary systems failures long before you experience engine failure in a well maintained gasoline engine.

When is it a good choice to go diesel?

I say if you frequently (more than 3X a month) tow something over 7000 lbs then a diesel may be worth considering.

If you drive 40K - 50K miles a year, you MIGHT recover if you buy a smallish diesel vehicle like a golf over a subaru

If you LIKE diesels (just like bikes you have to get what makes you happy)

If you have a free supply of fuel. I know several people that run spent motor oil / transmission fluid / veggie oil in their diesels. That being said, most of them aren't running very modern diesels. The vehicles relegated to this duty are older for sure.

If you can get a screamin' deal on a good diesel vehicle and not suffer the massive increase in initial purchase price.

S

Keyser Soze
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM
V70R...done....:p

This.

Mother Goose
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Vulva if you want to spend money on repairs. Subaru if you want to spend money on mods.

200sr20
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I love the Volvo Rmodels. I have been wanting one for a while, and if you know what your doing you can tune the crap out of them and keep them reliable. Subarus are good cars, but as pointed out earlier the have plenty of head gasket issues. We do at least one head job on a Subaru a month at my shop.

Filo
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Subaru. Volvos are just too expensive any way you look at it. You can do your Subaru's head gaskets in your driveway - at least I did.

Keyser Soze
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Vulva if you want to spend money on repairs. Subaru if you want to spend money on mods.

:lol: Whatever dude. Can't say I've ever seen a Subbie make it into the 300k range. Volvo actually made these badges for their customers.

http://extras.sacvolvoclub.org/photos-file-cabinet/ThirdSeriesCollage2color800w.bmp

laspariahs
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't buy a Subaru, but I wouldn't buy a mid 2000 volvo either, though that new s60 looks nice.

Can we have a different choice?

Vellos
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM
:lol: Whatever dude. Can't say I've ever seen a Subbie make it into the 300k range. Volvo actually made these badges for their customers.

The old Volvos were great. After Ford bought them out they went bad, and even worse when they were passed along to China.

Mother Goose
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM
^^^ That.

Cap'n Crunch
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM
The old Volvos were great. After Ford bought them out they went bad, and even worse when they were passed along to China.

Yep - I agree 100%. The old 1800's, 240's and 740's were great cars, the new ones aren't as reliable.

Also, if AWD is important to you, then get the subaru. There is no compairison between the awd system in the volvo and the awd in the subaru. I have a family member with the XC70 and I've driven it in the snow - the volvo system is nothing like a real awd car. Check out some youtube videos regrading "volvo xc vs subaru" and you'll see what i mean.

Ricky
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Psh, since when do Chinese products fall apart?

Ricky
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Also, if AWD is important to you, then get the subaru. There is no compairison between the awd system in the volvo and the awd in the subaru. I have a family member with the XC70 and I've driven it in the snow - the volvo system is nothing like a real awd car. Check out some youtube videos regrading "volvo xc vs subaru" and you'll see what i mean.

Good example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyLgYskj-oc

Captain Obvious
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Subaru gets my vote!

HEY!!

D_Sp8s, here is my take. I have a 05 S60R. Freaking love my car wen I drive it. But even little things are expensive to repair (leaking angle gear (the AWD component up front) was $600 at independent shop). My goal is to get a 200k badge with it though. I decided on it over the Legacy due to the looks, features and performance. I am not sure I would buy the Volvo again if I could go back. But I have made my bed, and by god, I am going to sleep in it. And lets face it, it is much more comfortable than the Subies.

One car you may not have thought about is a MazdaSpeed Mazda 6. I looked at the Mazda the same day as the Volvo but the Mazda they had was priced too close to the S60R. Downside, I think they only made it one year, but it shares most parts with the 2x Mazda6. I was impressed with the Mazda, but for a little more $, I stepped into a much nicer car (based on the samples they had on the lot).

D_Sp8s
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the input.

Now I just need to find a good deal on a 2005ish 2.5GT. I was hoping I could push my current Subie to 200k, but I don't think it's going to make it. I'm putting between 1&2 oil-changes-worth of oil in it between oil changes! And it sounds like an old wooden ship when I turn b/c of the steering rack going out.

laspariahs
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the input.

Now I just need to find a good deal on a 2005ish 2.5GT. I was hoping I could push my current Subie to 200k, but I don't think it's going to make it. I'm putting between 1&2 oil-changes-worth of oil in it between oil changes! And it sounds like an old wooden ship when I turn b/c of the steering rack going out.

And you want another one?

Wow.

brennahm
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
You can buy a lot of oil for $600.

D_Sp8s
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:44 PM
And you want another one?

Wow.

HAHA! It's been a great car up until now. Like I said earlier I got the car around 145k and now it has almost 190k and I've only put about a thousand dollars into it. I could throw another couple grand at it and it would probably run for another 50k, I don't know. But I'd rather put that towards a newer car.

Foolds
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I have an 2005 Legacy GT, Its been a great car.. Now I did have an motor issue that started around 15k miles and I forced them to fix at 33k miles. A few of the 2005's had piston ring land Issues that caused the pistons to crack... I had two out of 4 that were cracked so they re-built the left side of the motor all was done at Subaru's Expense. Also got them to give me a 100k Gold Plan Extended coverage for free as a good will gesture ( I thought they should replace, or at least re build the entire motor)

I now have 78k Miles on it and its still a strong car, Though I do worry about the Auto Trans.

D_Sp8s
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I have an 2005 Legacy GT, Its been a great car.. Now I did have an motor issue that started around 15k miles and I forced them to fix at 33k miles. A few of the 2005's had piston ring land Issues that caused the pistons to crack... I had two out of 4 that were cracked so they re-built the left side of the motor all was done at Subaru's Expense. Also got them to give me a 100k Gold Plan Extended coverage for free as a good will gesture ( I thought they should replace, or at least re build the entire motor)

I now have 78k Miles on it and its still a strong car, Though I do worry about the Auto Trans.

Why do you worry about the Auto Trans? If you were to go back and do it again would you get the manual?

Wrider
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:49 AM
From what I hear the autos are good trannies. They have the 4EAT in them, which when the guys start drag-racing the autos, they seem to be able to hold around 400 WHP stock.

R1-Laubinero
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I really hate working on VOLVOs( FYI ford still owns volvo and shares of mazda although they're cutting ties now)---suba's are ok...parts are cheaper at least....Honestly there are other options for awd vehicles...personally id makes sure i could at least comfortably tow my bike with it. that mazda speed 6 is a fun car!-- and they made a hatch back too--