PDA

View Full Version : Electrical help!

thankgod
Wed Apr 13th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hey guys, I just ordered some HID's from DDM and I wanted to know if there was someone who could help me install them plus troubleshoot my high beams. I gots low beams, (pointed straight at the ground) and I wanted to get my hi's working, so anyone with a multimeter would be freakin' saweet! Changed out all the fuses etc. but no blue light on my gauges. :think: Seems like the previous owner neglected this poor bike and never bothered to fix them. I'd be willing to compensate with beers and/or foods.:D

Cheers!

t.g.

sloridr
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 06:02 AM
If I was home I'd definitely come help ya. But if you can wait til June when I get home... cuz Im on a boat

thankgod
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 07:37 AM
lol thanks slo! I appreciate your willingness to help! But I can't wait till June! Be safe, see you when you get home!

dragos13
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 07:39 AM
If you aren't getting any lights on the gauge to indicate the hi's are on, I am thinking it might have something to do with your hi beam switch. Have you tried taking that apart? Maybe jump the wires to see if you can get them to work. Could be corroded contacts or something.

MetaLord 9
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 07:59 AM
^^Agree. Checking the switch may be easier than tracing a maze of wires all over the bike.

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Also, the problem with HIDs on standard circuitry is that they strike the arc twice, once when you turn the key to on, and once after the bike is started and running. You may want to consider putting in a delay circuit.

200sr20
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM
In a few weeks my garage should be put together and then I could help

Ricky
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I have this same issue with my truck. Dash light doesn't work for highs, but the highs work fine. I have a feeling it's because all the existing circuitry is doing is providing power to the HID setup to tell it to turn on. It's got a direct connection to the battery for the power. Because there's nearly no load on the OEM wiring (and only one of them is actually used) it doesn't sense there's a load on that circuit, and doesn't show the light.

Spooph
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 10:20 AM
erm, thought about checking the instrument light bulbs?

Keep in mind, as Zach had mentioned, HID's give 2 spikes to the circuit per on/off cycle, which means the instrument lights could've blown from the spikes... Those spikes are much bigger than regular halogen spikes, and the high beam instrument light is hooked into that circuit....

So OP, your high-beam HID works? Your low-beam halogen works? Or do you also have an HID for your low-beam? But instrument lights don't work?

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I posted that as more of a concern to bulb life than to the cause of his problem with the idiot light. Not really a problem if you bought the HID kit with a lifetime warranty on the bulb.

Spooph
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 11:14 AM
yes, I understand. My bad. I mean to address the strain the HID ignitor puts on the instrument light bulb, when it ignites the headlight, being that they are on the same circuit... I hope that's clearer.

dragos13
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM
From reading his first post again, it sounds like he is troubleshooting his hi beams before having installed the HID kit.

thankgod
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM
:headbang:

From reading his first post again, it sounds like he is troubleshooting his hi beams before having installed the HID kit.

Zach929rr
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Can swing by my crib anytime to take a peek at it. Service manual would help too.

thankgod
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Yes you guys! I want to test the switch but I have no OHM/continuity meter, would be a breeze if I did, then I could check the continuity of my light switch.

thankgod
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Zach I'd like to take you up on that. ty!

Can swing by my crib anytime to take a peek at it. Service manual would help too.

thankgod
Fri May 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Installed DDM 55w 6k bulbs on my bike and they are sweet! but I still need some help with my hi/lo beam switch...still no hi's. please help.:coffee:

Kevin
Sat May 7th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Bring it by my place and I'll help you get it fixed. 720-771-5229