PDA

View Full Version : Getting caught in snow storm, tips?

Climberchris
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Hey Everyone -

So here's what happened: I left late (7PMish) yesterday on my trip out to Elko, NV. I was planning on stopping in Laramie to see friends - between Cheyenne and Laramie the rain that was spitting on me turned into full on snowstorm. Progress got slower and slower until I was doing about 18-22 in third gear. Now I'm stuck in Laramie and going to have to wait out the weather.

So, here are my thoughts: When the snow first started coming down I felt I had traction but visibility was my concern. As the snow started to accumulate traction and throttle controll were my concerns. Eventually when there was quite a bit on the roads I was going slow enough to have my visor up and l had my legs out at times like I've seen done on old dirt track videos.

You guys/gals have any thoughts, tips, ideas for getting caught in the snow (technique)? And yeah, I did pass one car in the ditch. And a big thank you to IQ - I picked up the Field Sheer jacket he was selling and it worked like a champ. Oh, and additional background - riding a Daytona 675 with the stock tires.

asp_125
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Luckily at this time of year, you can hunker down for a day and the roads will be clear but wet the next. Came over Loveland Pass in early June one year and the rain started to turn into snow. The roads luckily stayed just wet/slushy but we still had to follow in the tire tracks of cars. This may be obvious but main roads see more traffic and load up with snow slower, ride slowly, be real easy on the throttle and brakes, use both brakes to reduce loading one over the other, and get to shelter and wait it out.

brennahm
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Holy god. Supercorsas in the snow?

Find a Hooters/Tilted Kilt/Etc and settle in. You're fucked now, don't fuck up your bike.

Vellos
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Go slow, get to town. If visibility is bad and you're going slow on a big road I'd suggest flickering your brake light until you get off.

Ricky
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Elko??? Seriously??? Elko??? Holy crap, it's not often I hear that. I went to High School there. Also used to live out in Ruby Valley before that.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:04 AM
pucker and pray

Sean
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I don't know if there are any great tips for that situation? Here's what I've done in the past:
- Find the cleanest line you can.

- "Tap" the breaks regularly. If visibility is an issue, it will help people see you

- If it's really bad, I've ridden on the shoulder because I was going so slow. Not sure if that's the best thing to do, but I wasn't sure what else to do.

- When touring, have the right gear. I love all of my fieldsheer stuff. My Joe Rocket rain gloves have a nice little wiper on the thumb for rain/sleet.

- And last, wait it out. damage to you, and the bike, isn't worth getting to your destination on time.

Good luck and ride safe!

Wrider
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Do a wheelie. Then all of your weight will be on one tire and you'll have more traction. Duh!

Spooph
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Sounds like you got it pretty much figured out!

Waiting it out, until the roads are at least free and clear of the white stuff would be the best option. Any fogging problems? When push comes to shoves, spit and hand soap work quite well.... I tend to use the rear brake more, because if you start to loose the front, it will be over before you're realized it was going. If you must ride, yea, keeps the lights a flashing - turn signals, hazards, brake light, whatever you got, make sure people see you... Best of luck, you will be in my thoughts.

Devaclis
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Do not touch the front brake

Plane your feet out unless you need to use the rear brake moderately

Engine breaking is your friend. I prefer to be in the middle range of whatever gear I am using when riding in the snow.

When cornering I like a very wide, and upright turn. This is when you steer the bike, not when you press on the bars to turn.

Counterweight through any turns you have to make to keep the bike as upright as possible.

Weight back on the seat as far as you can.

When stopping I prefer to slide my feet, not drop them down.

Also, don't forget to have fun. Riding in the snow is a butt clencher sometimes but try to enjoy the fact that you are riding in conditions most people would never even attempt.

OUTLAWD
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
pucker and pray

lol

....but srsly

In less than great conditions is it important to stay loose and smooth on the controls...if you find yourself death gripping the bars, try to loosen up. when I find myself tensing up, I kind of do "spirit fingers" with my hands on the bars, in bad weather, and at the track, it helps keep my arms/hands relaxed. (tip picked up from ST)

Climberchris
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! The tips were/are great - having learned to ride in NC I just had no exposure to snow on a bike before. It wasn't "fun" but it was funny! I couldn't stop shaking my head at myself and laughing at the situation.

@Brennahm Got a better choice for early/post season riding when temps are cooler and weather is wetter?

@Ricky yeah leaving Denver for a fire job for the summer Ruby Mountain Hotshots

@Everyone else, thanks again and I'll be riding again tomorrow morning to finish the trip - taking the promted "wait it out day" to catch up with friends.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 01:30 PM
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/igloo-6a.gif

brennahm
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Glad to hear you're safe (and +1 for you being a Hotshot!).

Those tires are essentially DOT race tires. Almost any sport tire (Diablo, Rosso, etc. to name some Pirelli's) would be a better choice for the cold/wet season. I'm guessing you're not a tire fanboy, basically you have the worst choice in tire when it comes to commuting and cold/wet riding. Worst, because it has very little tread and the compound is made to work after being heated up, AND it will last only a short time.

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 06:53 PM
*flashbacks of coming down 285 in a snow storm on the drz last march*

*shutter*

Devaclis
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM
*flashbacks of coming down 285 in a snow storm on the drz last march*

*shutter*

You should have had your man pick you up and cuddle with you.

Zach929rr
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM
That shit was sketchy on sumo tires man. That and I literally couldn't see anything out of my visor and it was snowing so hard I had to nearly close my eyes with it up. Mad sketch. And yes, I should have called my BF to pick me up, alas I did not.

Climberchris
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Update: Left Laramie around 9AM at 27 degrees, made it as far as Rock Springs and bike broke down. Really? Really? I am now in the process of piecing a way to get my bike into the magic hands of Mike and the guys @ Supertune. Have to smile.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM
so that's you posting on ADV too eh?

thankgod
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 02:38 AM
T and A and B will get you through the night... lol

Holy god. Supercorsas in the snow?

Find a Hooters/Tilted Kilt/Etc and settle in. You're fucked now, don't fuck up your bike.

Davy4575
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
I ve ridden in the snow a few too many times. Ended up wrecking a vfr750 on some ice/snow/hail/frozen rain mix. If youve ever riden trials or off road you might feel alittle more comfortable. Still sucks when the front end washes out. I no touchey the brakeys either.

Penadam
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
Rode back from Longmont to Lakewood yesterday evening, about 40 miles in a rain/hail high wind mix. Not quite the same as snow, but... Had waterproof jacket, boots and pants, but didn't have waterproof gloves with me. So here's the general bad weather list in my mind:

1) Have the proper gear. You will ride poorly if you're focusing on how miserable you are rather than the road.
2) Stay loose. Relax, even though it feels like things are really bad, you've got a lot more room to play with than you think. Focus on no gripping the bars. The bike will correct when you get blown around/slide a little, it's the death grip on the bars that cause you to slide.
3) Get better headlights (or follow a car). Bike headlights suck. You can't look ahead enough if you're relying on your headlights. Note: If you're the only source of light, you're headlights might be sufficient. It's when you run across other light sources that cause your pupils to dilate where you run into problems. I like to ride to the side and about 60 feet back from a car, lets their headlight illuminate where you should be looking, and your headlight illuminate the area between your vehicles.
4) Look far(ther) ahead. Just like they taught you in MSF class, if you are looking at the road right in front of you, you're going to be unstable. The problem in bad weather is your limited sight distance causes you to focus on the road too close, which leads to instability. Concentrate on maintaining your normal sight distance.
5) Be smooth. Slow down every input. Your tires will provide a larger amount of grip than you think, but you can't make any sudden control inputs. I try and minimize leaning when the weather is bad, it's too easy to hit a slippery surface (oil/water mix, wet painted line, ice, etc...) that you didn't notice or couldn't identify.

cbrjohnny
Sat Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
pucker and pray

at what point did you pinch a hole in your saddle? btw, weather out west in the "spring" can be winter...or summer... or