PDA

View Full Version : Sr. CAD designer needed

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Our Sr. CAD guy gave his two weeks today and being the Jr. CAD guy I'm a little scared at the implications... (namely too much work load and not enough experience to find a way to manage it)

Here's the memo HR sent out:

Octagon Systems, a leading mfg. of ruggedized, industrial computers is seeking a PCB designer to design complex multi-layer, high-speed printed circuit boards. Responsibilities include library management, component placement, PCB layout, and assisting in creating production release packages. Demonstrates expertise in Mentor Graphics Expedition is required. A minimum of a BA in the electronics field and 6+ years CAD experience is required. Our outstanding benefits package includes health, dental, life and disability insurance with a cafeteria plan plus a liberal vacation/holiday policy and a 401K plan. Forward your resume to:
Human Resources Department
Octagon Systems Corporation
7403 Church Ranch Blvd.
Westminster, CO 80021
Fax: (303) 412-2050
ttye@octagonsystems.com
EOE D/V/M

Please Mention you were referred by Alex if you apply.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Paging Mr. Whitinger... Mr. Whitinger, you have a telephone call at the Front Desk.

Hopefully Dean (of Kim-n-Dean) has seen this already. If not, Bump!

eg bter
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 05:26 PM
PM'ed

TurboGizzmo
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Ahh I remember my days doing design in Mentor, Cadence, PADs, Boardstation, GerbTool, Valor.

Didnt make the big money people did back in the day, but I made pretty good money doing board translation between software types.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Fuck! Wrong kid of "CAD", dammit!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 14th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Paging Mr. Whitinger... Mr. Whitinger, you have a telephone call at the Front Desk.

Hopefully Dean (of Kim-n-Dean) has seen this already. If not, Bump!
Well, that's about as far from what Dean does as you can get. PCB design is WAY different than even what I do. It's a whole 'nuther world. Nice of you to think of him though. :)

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Yup, wrong kind of CAD. I'm not a PCB designer. Now, if your engineers design the layouts and you need a CAD tech. to draw them, that's exactly what I do. I've had many CAD jobs where I didn't know anything about the work, I just had to draw what the engineers designed.

Too many times a job request is made for a "designer" and all they really need is someone to draw it. If that's the case here, I'm definitely interested and can guarantee I'll be the fastest you've ever had. I don't sacrifice accuracy for speed, either. My references will back that up, too!!

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Ahh I remember my days doing design in Mentor, Cadence, PADs, Boardstation, GerbTool, Valor.

Didnt make the big money people did back in the day, but I made pretty good money doing board translation between software types.Wow!! Someone else who has used Cadence.

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 10:38 AM
This is an actual designer position. Our team consists of two design engineers who draw the schematic and work with the CAD designer who lays out and draws the PCB while working in close concert with the mechanical eng who does the enclosure, cables and mounting hardware. I currently do some of the CAD but I'm mostly working for the test engineer and since I'm brand new to this I really hope to find someone who can "mentor" me in mentor.

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I have 3 days of on the job PCB design experience not counting the 9/10 semesters of my EE degree. ;) I'll be ready in 6 years

mastap07
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 09:29 PM
ill just give you our CAD girl.... you can have her!

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 09:17 AM
ill just give you our CAD girl.... you can have her!

Sound like it's wise to pass on this one...