PDA

View Full Version : Denver to Anchorage: CBR600RR or KLX250F?

sky_blue
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 12:16 PM
[Pipe Dream]

Looks like I'm heading to AK to work for the summer again. Have this odd idea of riding there. I own two bikes, and while neither of them are ideal for the task, they are both awesome in their own way. Which would you take from Denver to Anchorage? A 2007 CBR600RR or a 2009 KLX250F? I would probably be traveling in the immediate company of a Jeep.

Some people think it's more of an adventure on an inappropriate bike.

I'm leaning towards the CBR
-go fast on pavement
-have soft luggage
-slightly better fuel range

But the appeal of being able to ride dirt/trails along the way is also good.

Geeze, Jen, get a KLR!! But me and bigger displacement dirtbikes doesn't make sense. Heavy and tall...makes me nervous...If it's too heavy to pick up, I might as well be on a streetbike.

Ideally I'd get a BMW 650GS. But I am flat broke. Maybe I could get $3500 for the KLX, but I really don't want to part with the CBR.:violin:

http://i53.tinypic.com/aph8bs.jpg

Vellos
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Most of the roads in Canada and Alaska aren't paved.

Ricky
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
CBR is great for the trip, but what good is it once you get there, compared to the KLX?

asp_125
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Ship the KLX... or.. .PM incoming.

sky_blue
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
It is my understanding that the main highway to AK is now completely paved. There may of course be construction zones, but the majority is asphalt.

And I won't be riding in Alaska -- it'll be parked while I'm working. Maybe a day here and there.

salsashark
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM
IMO, If it's going to be just there and back, go for the cbr. The little 250 would suck big time super slabbing it.

Then again, if all it's going to do is sit while your there, might as well fly...

Sean
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Tough choices. I'd say that neither are ideal. If all of the roads are paved, the CBR. But if you have to do long stretches of gravel/dirt it wouldn't be great at all. How is the KLX on the highways/interstate?

My choice would be to sell the 250 and pick something else up. For around $3500 you could pic up a used KLR650/versys/vstrom, that might be a better choice.

Vellos
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
If you aren't going to ride around Alaska... just fly.

laspariahs
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM
If you aren't going to ride around Alaska... just fly.

Seriously? It's about the journey, at least it would be for me.

R1-Laubinero
Fri Apr 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM
cbr has a fairing that will get some of the windblast off you--Id install some heli bars though--also its motor has more power and less vibration--- the FI on it is a plus too...

thankgod
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I was planning a trip (THREAD JACK) from Denver to Nogales AZ. I'm prob gonna go alone but if I can get someone to tag along you'd get all the free homemade menudo you can eat! (Vegitarians need not apply) spelled that wrong...even thinking about visiting the grandparents grave sight in Mexico. any takers???

Vellos
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Seriously? It's about the journey, at least it would be for me.

Highway miles on a motorcycle isn't much of a journey. :lol:

FZRguy
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I'd take the CBR.....and I will be in Anchorage in August. I'm flying and renting a BMW. Maybe we can hookup for a ride.

JohnEffinK
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Heading to AK with a buddy on a couple of 800GS' the weekend of June 12th (but to Fairbanks and points north) if you want some traveling company on the way up. Lots of trips up there on Advrider if timing doesnt work. Road is heavily traveled and I would not be hesitant to go alone...actually probably coming back from Prudhoe solo to go to Inuvik and buddy taking the ferry....

Threadjack but lots of folks make the run, road is populated, and reasonably safe regardless of the date/route.

John

mathman1000
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Any one who tells you to "just fly" and that "highway miles aren't much of a journey" are totally missing the point or must not really understand motorcycling at all or just own bikes because "they're pretty"......no, seriously.....they really don't get it at all. Really??? Because you don't "have the right bike" in someone's opinion is a reason not to go?? WTF?

I'm really glad I never thought like this when I had my V-Strom 1000, or the Interceptor, or the BMW F-650, or any other bike I've had that I spent a 10-18 hour day riding across this country. There is something very pure about the wee morning hours of riding and it's the 15th hour you've been on the bike. No one else is on the road, the hum of the bike has turned into something that seems to be more like your heart beat than your own heart. The dark road ahead is yours and yours alone, it's just you. Your back aches, your neck is sore, but fuckin'-A, your riding, and you'll be just as excited to get back on and keep going when you wake up in the morning. You know that the cars you pass, or the ones that pass you, the people you see at the gas stations, the kids in the back seats wishing they were old enough to have a "cool" motorcycle, are all wishing they could break away and live an adventure like your doing. It's about the ride, about the journey, about the bike, about being in your head for hours going insane with your thoughts, having that moment of clarity and then losing it in somthing your laughing about that no one gets but you, knowing it's only you the whole way, only yourself to depend on. And when you get to Alaska, you'll have that trip with you for the rest of your life. No one will ever be able to take that away from you.

Don't you dare let anyone talk you out of doing it; that ride might change your life in ways you can't imagine. Remember; anyone that tells you otherwise just doesn't get it.

People who only do "club rides", or only ride to bar, or who own a bike so they can tell the world "Yeah, I ride", will never understand. But that's ok, different strokes for different folks.

Do the ride......

JohnEffinK
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 07:47 PM
boo-yah. Hell yeah.

John

brennahm
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM
+2

One of my favorite trips ever was slabbing it the length of FL. Only took a day each way, great memories.

pauliep
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Check your route using google maps. I took a brief look and saw only paved road pictures so I would decide on the CBR and start looking for a tank bag to lay your chest on to be comfortable. Maybe even a throttle lock for the long lonely stretches. I'm sure there is bound to be some in your 3,200 mile journey.

drago52
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 10:49 PM
My buddy and I are leaving on July 1st to head to Alaska and back. You're welcome to come along if you are looking for riding companions. We're going via the sawtooths in ID, Glacier NP in Montana, Banff, Jasper, etc. up to Anchorage. Expect to get to Anchorage in 6 days.

drago52
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM
...and I'm taking my Uly, not the ninja. :)

Mikeone
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 09:59 AM
This is one hell of a ride!

asp_125
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 10:01 AM
If you're gonna have Jeep for a support vehicle, take the KLX and then you can ride trails when you get up there.

cptschlongenheimer
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I don't think any body can put it better than Mathman did. Fuck, I'm ready to start packing for the trip now!

asp_125
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Hell I'm ready to keep the GS and go myself! Nice post Mathman, you "get it".

sky_blue
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM
My buddy and I are leaving on July 1st to head to Alaska and back. You're welcome to come along if you are looking for riding companions. We're going via the sawtooths in ID, Glacier NP in Montana, Banff, Jasper, etc. up to Anchorage. Expect to get to Anchorage in 6 days.

That is a very aggressive schedule. And for me that is also the toughest part of this ride -- the HUGE amount of time it will take. A tad over 3000 miles. I'm comfortable at about 400 mile/days. That's 7.5 days, with no stops for lounging/sightseeing/technical difficulties.:loop:

drago52
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM
We're shooting for between 500-600 miles/day. If we end up going slower than expected and it takes longer, then that's what happens. I think some days we'll be able to do 700+ miles a day, and some days we'll struggle to get 400 miles a day. He's got a V-strom and I've got a Uly, so they are both pretty comfortable for long days in the saddle without fatigue. The only way to know for sure is to take the leap though. :)

mathman1000
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I'm soooo jealous..... Enjoy the planning; it's like the appetizer to the main course.

mdub
Wed Apr 27th, 2011, 02:10 PM
yeah i always have the technical difficulties in the back of my head. Knock on wood i have not experienced that. I need to ride like the description that Mathman wrote. And i will. Especially to alaska in the warm season. That would be really nice. Just bring the appropriate gear.

rccarver
Sun May 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
Take the KLX and try not to touch pavement the whole way. Now there's a trip. But you probably don't have a month. Oh well.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun May 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM
Rock on!!

I picked up Givi side bags off Craigslist today for my VFR. Am planning on a 2500 mile round trip to Wisconsin in two weeks. The open road on two wheels can be just as satisfying as dragging a knee.

ndnbennyb
Sun May 1st, 2011, 10:08 PM
I've done the drive. I was stationed there. The ride would be awesome. Just know once you hit AK 1/ highway 1, the ride will be rough. The road sucks and is always being worked on. A lot of dirt and what could be considered whoops (dirt track reference)

ndnbennyb
Sun May 1st, 2011, 10:21 PM
And don't forget someway to take fuel. There are loooong stretches of road with nothing for miles. I did the drive twice.