PDA

View Full Version : Bikes and Money

Revan
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hey all,

If you haven't all seen my newb declaring posts, I am about and beginner as you can get. I've done a little homework on motorcycles, specifically which ones I'd like to get. But I am young (20) and actually have zero experience dealing with salesmen or buying anything from anyone really. Car was left to me in a will, and only ever owned the one car. Anyways, I'd like to ask all of you, whats the best way to deal with dealership salesmen? Is there a standard percent you can haggle off? Are dealerships better than private owners? If you buy a used bike from a dealership will they give a rats ass about the performance of the bike down the road? I've found a few great deals on here, but I've been a little shy to make offers because I dont want to insult the seller with a lowball price, but I dont want to give 100% of the asking price and not put up a little bit of a fight! So help me out, tell me about your experiences, or your advice! Very serious about buying a motorcycle in the next 2 weeks.

Tylar
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM
You need to find out what your financial boundaries are: what's the max payment you can manage, and what are the rates/terms you qualify for, how does that translate into loan-to-value with your bank and how that impacts money down, if any, and what kind of deal you have to find. If you're doing a 100% cash deal, then you still need to find your boundaries knowing that if you buy used, you may need to do things to fix it up, repair or just make it the way you want it.

So, once you know your pricerange and payment margins, then you need to find a make/model/year and engine size that fits that.

If ye were me, I'd keep an eye out on Craigslist for what things are selling for and if any deals pop up you can potentially act on. Your ability to walk into a dealership and purchase a bike will rely on your financial constraints and credit.

Could go on and on and this thread will go many directions, but that's my thoughts on your inquiry...

edj
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
$700 VTR250 on craigslist. That would be a good starter for any budget and let you learn on something managable and damagable.

Don't make payments on a first bike (or any bike if you can help it).

Revan
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
thanks for the help guys. at max i have 2.2k to drop. i have no equipment, and very little experience. whats the best way to find equipment? CL again? Im just concerned about helmets. I was told if you were to drop a helmet even from waist height that done for.

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Craigs list for some.. I would avoid a used lid... motorcyclegear.com and check out the closeout sections to get some good deals. Also there are a few local shops in Denver that you can check out.

Also take into account how much your insurance for particular bike will be. Find a bike you like, look for insurance quotes to see if that expence will put you over your financial limit.

As far as helm drops, depends on the company, Arai claims to not be affected by a low drop w/o mass inside ( http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/arai-helmets/283819/)

Revan
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Gotta say that video was surprisingly informational. thanks a lot for the link!

Revan
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
@Depths_of_Mind

I'm a big guy, 220 and 6' 2". I was told I should try to get a 500 to 650, especially since once i'm comfortable and confident, my girlfriend is super excited to take rides with me. Thoughts?

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
My first bike was a 95 katana 600 and I was fine on it and know a few folks that ride 2up on it.. I'm a bit shorter than you, but about the same weight, and it was fine as a beginer bike. I would possibly stay away from a Super Sport (JUST IMHO mind you) but a nice used 500 or a 650 might be ok for you (Stressing USED :) ).

Let others chime up though, don't just take my opinion of it ;)

sag
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:43 PM
take the msf course and you should be fine to handle any sort of bike as long as youre responsible. helmets are super easy to find cheap online if you know what size you are, just google shopping the model and find the cheapest place. given how much youd like to spend id check craigslist for clean late 80s bigger bikes.

Cars-R-Coffins
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'd recommend no passengers until you are very confident in your abilities riding solo. Girlfriends are usually excited to be passengers but a motorcycle will handle a lot differently with an extra 110-160lbs on back and the consequences could be permanent.

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'd recommend no passengers until you are very confident in your abilities riding solo. Girlfriends are usually excited to be passengers but a motorcycle will handle a lot differently with an extra 110-160lbs on back and the consequences could be permanent.

*ditto*

Revan
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Oh trust me, Its going to be a while before i take her anywhere, I would never forgive myself if she were hurt bc of my lack of skills. I just dont want to get confident and want to go for a ride, and find out a 250 can only go downhill with a combined weight of 360 lbs.

@depths, you wouldn't still have that 95 would you?

Jim_Vess
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Take a look at the 1994 and newer Kawasaki Ninja 500r (also called EX 500). It's a great beginner bike, but has enough power to keep you happy as you gain experience. You should have no problem finding one in nice shape in your price range. Plus they are cheap to insure.

Wrider
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Oh trust me, Its going to be a while before i take her anywhere, I would never forgive myself if she were hurt bc of my lack of skills. I just dont want to get confident and want to go for a ride, and find out a 250 can only go downhill with a combined weight of 360 lbs.

@depths, you wouldn't still have that 95 would you?

I know for a fact a 250 will still do well with 500+ lbs on it. I'm 300 start naked, sister is around 175, took her for a ride on her Ninja 250, and it still did pretty well TBH.

Revan
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Thats great! Feeling a lot more comfortable with the 250s now. I went to Fay Meyers and the guy was trying to get me to finance a used CBR600F4I for 4.3k. Smooth talker convinced me thats what was best for me. I said 250 and he laughed. glad i didn't listen! So I think I've got a good feel for the kind of bike I want, but CL is WAY over priced! Anyone here looking to help out a new rider with well maintained bike?

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
You can keep an eye out in the Motorcycle stuff for sale (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73) section of the board. But ya gotta be quick. Matty posted a 250R a couple days ago and I think it lasted all of 2 hours before it had a "sold tag" hanging off the bars. ;)

laspariahs
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Thats great! Feeling a lot more comfortable with the 250s now. I went to Fay Meyers and the guy was trying to get me to finance a used CBR600F4I for 4.3k. Smooth talker convinced me thats what was best for me. I said 250 and he laughed. glad i didn't listen! So I think I've got a good feel for the kind of bike I want, but CL is WAY over priced! Anyone here looking to help out a new rider with well maintained bike?

It's a bad time in the season to buy a bike, the sun is coming out, and people, like you, want a motorcycle, so demand is high, prices are high. Later in the season bikes won't be selling quite as well, and prices will drop.

Revan
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Really wish I'd thought of it sooner. and filled out my tax return back in feb! I'd have cash in hand already.

spdu4ia
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM
keep an eye on the classifieds here and CL is a good source for a local bike for a good price. Just don't "jump" on something that isn't right for you. Save some cash for (at least) a helmet and a jacket. and most important take the MSF class.

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 03:59 PM
keep an eye on the classifieds here and CL is a good source for a local bike for a good price. Just don't "jump" on something that isn't right for you. Save some cash for (at least) a helmet and a jacket. and most important take the MSF class.

QFT!!!

... and gloves.

Vellos
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 04:29 PM
2,200 is a really low budget, don't try to stretch it thin by getting a nicer bike. 200 for MSF, 100 for a cheap new helmet, 100 for used jacket, maybe 20 for gloves, hopefully you have some hiking boots laying around already. Then there is tax, title, bla bla bla fees.

So you're looking at getting a bike for about 1,600 max. I'd suggest either a 250 or 500, maybe a 650 but not a 600. I found this guy (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2319247273.html) who has a bunch of 250s for sale. :)

Bueller
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I found this guy (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2319247273.html) who has a bunch of 250s for sale. :)

That's crazy!

Yea that $1800 one would be worth looking at, believe a Ninja 250 will get it!

oh10raven
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 05:12 PM
My first road bike was a Kawi EX500 and I would highly recommend one of those to anyone starting out. Even if you get bored with it after a season, you'll likely be able to get some money back out of it once you sell it. The MSF is a must and you'll get your endorsement out of it. Have fun and good luck finding a nice ride!

extremepaint
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM
i have seen two ninja 650s go for under 2000 on craigslist and a few more for under 3000 im alot smaller than you and as a newb i have learned to manueuver that bike "pretty well' so far... my biggest thing is i wanted to be able to flat foot it at a stop light or when im shuffling it around my house. i dont think this is an issue for you. plenty of power but i heard it lacs for cruising the interstate two up.. how ever i dont think thats what you would buy a bike like this for.

good luck with your quest! check out 303 cycle for good deals on helmets i need to head over on monday to check out an agv and the new bell line

also if you have a smart phone set up an app called craigsnotify and you will be able to jump on the good deals b/c they go quick a good quality jacket will be gone in a few hours

Bashed
Sat Apr 16th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Dont get locked down into a paticular size. You can get a decent SV650 for in your budget. Great first bike, I still have one I pretend to race and have a blast on it, and I've been riding sportbikes since they came out in the mid 80's or so. good luck!

edj
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I still think that VTR on craigslist looks like a good contender at $700. Buy new tires and get the gas cap fixed and you are still under $1000 leaving lots of room for buying good gear and still have money left over.

Then when you are ready for more... you can sell it for that $700 easy (or more if you make it look nicer).

I've known a couple 'twintercepter' owners and they love them even with bigger bikes in the stable. I don't know the seller... just figuring on your first bike cheapest is best. And without payments you won't need full coverage insurance (which would be wasted on $700 bike) saving you more money.