PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning carbs necessary?

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 07:19 PM
So my wife and I can not agree if we need to clean the carbs in he bike. It is a 2001 ZX-6 with around 13000 miles. Its been sitting for a little over three years. We bought a new battery and want to know if it is necesary to clean the carbs before starting the bike again. If I do start it before cleaning them will it do anything to the bike?

salsashark
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Was there gas in it for three years?

Run some sea foam through it and see how it runs. Rebuild if necessary.

brennahm
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 07:34 PM
No, you will not hurt the bike by trying to start it with plugged up carbs.

This is assuming you don't sit there trying to start it for hours on end thinking it will just all of a sudden be ok. If she don't start, clean 'em out.

Repsol a095
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I would like to volunteer Henry to clean the carbs

Wrider
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Was there gas in it for three years?

Run some sea foam through it and see how it runs. Rebuild if necessary.

+1

1BadSvt
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I would do the carbs for you. I love doing them!!!!

Wrider
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I would do the carbs for you. I love doing them!!!!

You're sick...

But yeah they can be kinda fun.

1BadSvt
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 10:08 PM
^Why am I sick? You see how much work I do :P

Wrider
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Lol most people hate it. And I've been called sick for enjoying it. So therefore you're sick as well!

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Long story short I am selling it for a rock bottom price to a completly new rider (sort of a pay it forward price). I don't want to sell him a bike that needs to have the carbs cleaned. He says he is mechanically inclined with cars but has never done work on a bike before. So I offered to help him clean them out if someone can volunteer their time or for a case of beer (or soda depending on age) that has knowldge of ths process.

1BADSVT- would you be willing to help for this price because of this situation?

WolFeYeZ
Sun Apr 17th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Long story short I am selling it for a rock bottom price to a completly new rider (sort of a pay it forward price). I don't want to sell him a bike that needs to have the carbs cleaned. He says he is mechanically inclined with cars but has never done work on a bike before. So I offered to help him clean them out if someone can volunteer their time or for a case of beer (or soda depending on age) that has knowldge of ths process.

1BADSVT- would you be willing to help for this price because of this situation?

It going to Reven?

MetaLord 9
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 07:44 AM
As long as there are no rats or anything nesting in your carbs, starting it w/out cleaning it won't hurt anything. It also might not start. I'd be more worried about the gas in the tank than the carbs probably

dragos13
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 07:52 AM
If I were you, I would pull the tank off and drain all the old gas out. Maybe even rinse it a couple times with good gas.

Next, pull the carbs off and spray them out with carb cleaner. Open and close the the butterfly as your spraying them out.

You might even change the fuel filter if that bike has one.

1BadSvt
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Pop the carbs off and bring them to me I will make them perfect. That price is fine lol always willing to help someone out. Just to let everyone know I usally only charge 75$ to pull and clean drain tank and all. But for you 12pack sounds cool :)

Revan
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I'm the future owner of this bike, and I'm extremely interested in learning how to do these things myself. Would you be willing to sit down and let me watch you clean them? I'd really like to be able to pull my bike apart and know what everything does, how it functions, and how to clean and maintain it.

MetaLord 9
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 10:35 AM
^^Keep an eye out for tech day forums. Most of us on here know enough to get you through the easy to moderate difficulty stuff. The other stuff I just throw at a mechanic (call me back please SuperTune...) to have precision fixes. If you're going to be a rider who wants to do most of the work on the bike yourself, I'd suggest going to Sears and picking up a 135 piece mechanic's set and a rack of T-handles if you don't already have equivalent tools. You can do damn near anything on a bike with those tools and they're well worth the money....unless you buy a Ducati. :D

SVT, for half a minute I thought you were saying you were charging to $75 to pull & clean carbs. I was like damn, I'm in the wrong business :lol:

1BadSvt
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm the future owner of this bike, and I'm extremely interested in learning how to do these things myself. Would you be willing to sit down and let me watch you clean them? I'd really like to be able to pull my bike apart and know what everything does, how it functions, and how to clean and maintain it.
Sure thing you just have to get it to the Springs.

Bueller
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I'm extremely interested in learning how to do these things myself. ........I'd really like to be able to pull my bike apart and know what everything does, how it functions, and how to clean and maintain it.

Get a service manual and get after it, That's how we learn.

Wrider
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Sure thing you just have to get it to the Springs.

I'll join in on that.