PDA

View Full Version : Metzler Sportec M1s ok for Racing 2 Save Lives in PPIR?

green_zx7r
Thu May 5th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Hello,

Since I found out yesterday that we're not getting anything but 180s for the group Michelin buy for R2SL, I desperately searched around and found a set of Metzler Sportec M1s for my track prepped FZR600. My bike takes a 120 front and 170 rear.

What I would like to know is, whether these Sportec M1s will be sufficient for R2SL, or should I get more of a racing compound such as the Bridgestone BT012SS or Dunlop GP tires?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Yusuke

Hoopty
Thu May 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM
It really depends on how fast you will be going. I would go on the safe side and buy a set of race tires. The difference in traction is amazing!!! Call TK Motorsports 720 904 9040, Bridgestone race tires are pretty cheap. :up:

green_zx7r
Thu May 5th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks. I'll talk to them and see if they have the size for my bike. Thanks Hoopty.

Hoopty
Thu May 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
:up:

~Barn~
Thu May 5th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Between you and me, I would run M1 w/out any hesitation. They are very similar to Pilot Sports, and not being an out-and-out race at R2SL, either Pilot Sports or M1's will do just fine. Hoopty's crazy ass on the other hand, probably *would* need actual race tires.

Come to think of it, I actually rode Pilot Sports for my track day at Laguna, and loved 'em. I have to think M1's would have been virtually the same.

Oh.. and Yusuke.... You think you can maybe take that Soul Calibur book to R2SL? :lol:

Hoopty
Thu May 5th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Well, if you do need the extra grip it's nice to have. You never know when you could use it, it could be on purpose (by pushing your limits), or it could be on accident (by messing up, or having another rider cut you off etc). It's always better to be safe than sorry. Something as simple as good tires could save you thousands of dollars in repair and or medical bills. :shock: If you get a harder compound race tire, it should last a while too. :) They are DOT legal, so it's not like you'd have to throw it away afterward. Just my opinion. When you're at a track you tend to push it more than in the canyons, most of the time without even noticing it. Might as well CYA with better rubber while you're at it.

~Barn~
Thu May 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
All I'm saying, is that I want my Soul Calibur booklet.

green_zx7r
Thu May 5th, 2005, 05:05 PM
LOL! Barn, I've got your booklet sitting on my kitchen counter. Would you like me to just mail it to ya? If so, let me know your address. :)

I spoke to my team members that will be riding the FZR, and we decided on the Bridgestones BT001 rear and BT002 fronts. Unfortunately TK only has BT001s for the rear. Hope that's a good enough race DOT.

We all agreed that we'd rather be safe than sorry, or over equipped with a better tire than to have that worry on the track.

Thanks everyone!

Yusuke

Hoopty
Fri May 6th, 2005, 09:26 AM
You'll be fine with the 001, that's what I ran last year on the F3, even won a couple of races on them. :D The 001's are cheaper too. :D

ebazyl
Fri May 6th, 2005, 09:41 AM
You'll be fine with the 001, that's what I ran last year on the F3, even won a couple of races on them. :D The 001's are cheaper too. :D

:shock: Not only that he hit some 1:10s at Second Creek on them. :321:

~Barn~
Fri May 6th, 2005, 01:37 PM
LOL! Barn, I've got your booklet sitting on my kitchen counter. Would you like me to just mail it to ya? If so, let me know your address. :)

Nah man, just hangon to it. I'll get it from ya eventually. =)

Hoopty
Fri May 6th, 2005, 01:39 PM
:shock: Not only that he hit some 1:10s at Second Creek on them. :321:

It happens. I think it had more to do with the awesome, technologically advanced bike I was on though. :D Those custom "shorty" pegs gave me at least an extra 5-10HP. Imagine what I could have done on Dunlops! ;) :lol: