PDA

View Full Version : Front Fork Dismantle

Revan
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Hey Guys,

So far you have all been really helpful in my knowledge of motorcycles and riding around CO and I'm very appreciative. But I have one last request before I join you on the road. I just purchased a 2001 Kawi ZX-6R. The front shock seals were torn, and the fluid (real technical i know) leaked out. the brakes were replaced and the shocks wrapped in socks to stop the leaking. is anyone available tomorrow after 6pm to help me and Social4Life dismantle them so i can take the shocks in on their own to have them repaired at Faster? Not much pocket cash after the bike, but I can supply a 12 pack!

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 07:26 AM
If you're taking them to someone else to do the fork seals, you only need to pull the forks off of the bike, you won't need to dismantle them. If you're dismantling them, then you'd might as well do the seals yourself.

I forget, were the '01s inverted forks?

dragos13
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 08:22 AM
+1 for what MetaLord said.

Just remove the wheel, remove the fender, loosen the upper and lower triple, loosen the clipons and slide the forks out. Bring them to Faster and they'll do the rest :)

Vellos
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Wiki says 2003 was the earliest year inverted.

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 08:36 AM
You can attempt to use a 35mm film negative and contact cleaner to clear the seal out. That may or may not work depending on what it causing the leak at the seal. Changing the seals really isnt that technical either.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 09:01 AM
You can attempt to use a 35mm film negative and contact cleaner to clear the seal out. That may or may not work depending on what it causing the leak at the seal. Changing the seals really isnt that technical either.

I have heard from a few people doing the forks is easy as long as you have the tool needed but it costs more than having someone do it for you. So basically take off the wheel, fender, and loosen the upper and lowers? Sounds easy enough.

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I have heard from a few people doing the forks is easy as long as you have the tool needed but it costs more than having someone do it for you. So basically take off the wheel, fender, and loosen the upper and lowers? Sounds easy enough.

To get the forks off, yeah. Simple as that. Probably want to make a visual reference to where exactly the forks are sitting in the upper triples, as designated by the lines on the fork tube. Wrap them up in old towels or something to transport them too.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM
To get the forks off, yeah. Simple as that. Probably want to make a visual reference to where exactly the forks are sitting in the upper triples, as designated by the lines on the fork tube. Wrap them up in old towels or something to transport them too.

How do you recommend this? Sharpie, tape?

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Just count the lines and write it down. I assume most forks have some sort of hump or nudge that sets the default height, but I'm not certain about that, hence why I say to count the lines so they can be reinstalled easily without affecting the geometry of the suspension.

rybo
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
How do you recommend this? Sharpie, tape?

Mesaure and write it down. Oil takes off sharpie and tape.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Fair enough. If anyone is in the aurora (Murphy creek) area around 6 tonight and wants to watch this unfold and have a good laugh your more than welcome.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Depends on what you've got in your garage, but generally no, it costs more to take them in. Last time I looked at taking my forks in to get a seal changed it was $100 off bike.

Spring compressor is $30-$40 (which you won't need if they're not inverted), one seal is $10-$20, oil if $15, oil measuring tool is $20. For the cost of taking one fork into the shop, you can buy everything you need to change your own seals forever.

Also, there are at least 4-5 really good, easy to understand videos on how to do this on youtube. I have or borrow the tools I need, so I cannot justify $100 for something that I can do myself for only $35 (max) in parts.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Videos for inverted:
Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ICr-DOmdk&feature=relmfu

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXL_GNHzQ9s&feature=related
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O1ow73Ugvg&feature=relmfu
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcKQRjviEE&feature=relmfu

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
You don't need a spring compressor for forks btw.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:04 AM
You don't need a spring compressor for forks btw.
for inverted cartridge forks you do

brennahm
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM
MetaLord does. He has carnie hands.

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Never worked on motorcycles from the Cold War Era, so I wouldn't know.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:07 AM
MetaLord does. He has carnie hands.

Never worked on motorcycles from the Cold War Era, so I wouldn't know.
Pretty sure that 2007 wasn't considered the "Cold War Era..."

So how do you two separate the fork cap from the damping rod?

dragos13
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Spring compressor is not required. My mechanic and I would do my 06 R6 forks without one. Its a little more difficult but definitely possible.

dragos13
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM
One person can pull down on the spring spacer while the other person unscrews the cap.

Another way is to use ratchet straps if you are doing it solo. Major PITA but does work.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hmmmmm. You pose valid points which I will ponder while at work. Honestly I don't usually do anything on my bikes except put them on stands. My wife likes to work on the bikes. But since she is pregnant she doesn't want to be around it at all. However I will watch those videos and see if we can do it.

MetaLord 9
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
One person can pull down on the spring spacer while the other person unscrews the cap.

Another way is to use ratchet straps if you are doing it solo. Major PITA but does work.
I'm usually changing them solo, so that makes sense.

I've considered the ratchet strap method, but it seemed like more brain that damage than it was worth to get it right without screwing up the fork or internals

dragos13
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Yeah Cromer showed me the ratchet method. Once you get it down its pretty easy. I usually changed my fork seals twice a season when doing fluid so it helps in learning the tricks.

I would say for your first time though, maybe bring them to Faster and ask Bart if you can hang out and watch while they are being done. That way you can see exactly what it includes. This is an area you don't want to mess up, from the mechanical assembly to the precise amount of fluid for each fork. Its all crucial stuff.