PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Healer

Vellos
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Was wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with these. Is it something you can plug into you bike, re-program the electronics, and then disconnect? Or does it plug in and have to stay on the bike?

Thanks in advance.

DevilsTonic
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Wicky recommended this one to me. I was able to install myself. Needed some help to calibrate it, but it's a great solution and cheaper than your typical speedo healer.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=18212

Mother Goose
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Was wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with these. Is it something you can plug into you bike, re-program the electronics, and then disconnect? Or does it plug in and have to stay on the bike?

Thanks in advance.

Wicky recommended this one to me. I was able to install myself. Needed some help to calibrate it, but it's a great solution and cheaper than your typical speedo healer.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=18212
What Leah said.

You plug it into your bike, calibrate it and leave it plugged in.

Vellos
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM
So you can't calibrate and unplug? :( Was hoping to bum one off someone. Guess I'll add it to the list of things I'd like to do to my bike. Thanks.

Mother Goose
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Nope, doesn't work that way. The SpeedoDRD is the cheapest/easiest/best one you can buy right now. Plus, for $70, you can eat Ramen all week and be able to buy it by the weekend. :D

drago52
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 03:00 PM
The speedohealer intercepts the pulses from the speed sensor and resends the pulses at a different rate to the tach. I have one and like it. Once you calibrate it (I used gps), the % change is how much your odometer will be off. The speed will be accurate (indicated speed of 70mph will be 70mph), but the odometer won't (unless you have a separate sensor for the odo).

CaneZach
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM
So, if you're geared differently than stock, the odometer will still accrue additional miles?

TFOGGuys
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
So, if you're geared differently than stock, the odometer will still accrue additional miles?

Negative. They were talking about correcting the original speedo error. Most bikes will read up to 10% optimistic on speed, yet have accurate odometers. There are many theories on why the manufacturers do this, including drive by sound checks, inflated performance figures, etc.

Mother Goose
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it corrects that too. My bike is right on for the mileage of my commute compared to google maps.

Edit: Listen to Jim.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Negative. They were talking about correcting the original speedo error. Most bikes will read up to 10% optimistic on speed, yet have accurate odometers. There are many theories on why the manufacturers do this, including drive by sound checks, inflated performance figures, etc.How do they separate the values? Is one sensor feeding the odometer (not off the tranny, my bike has no other sensors) and another the speedo? I just switched my R1 back to stock gearing and the odometer was racking miles as well as the speed increase. Now, the odometer matches a ten mile stretch on the freeway with mile markers. Before, the odometer was ahead...

Ricky
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Negative. They were talking about correcting the original speedo error. Most bikes will read up to 10% optimistic on speed, yet have accurate odometers. There are many theories on why the manufacturers do this, including drive by sound checks, inflated performance figures, etc.

That doesn't seem right. Wen you change gearing a percentage, it affects the odometer the same percentage. On my CBR, the odometer is IDENTICAL to the speedometer in terms of how far off it is compared to my GPS.

It's not like there's 2 speed sensors, one for the odo and one for the speedo.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Ahhhh, I get it now. The speedo is off with stock gearing, I know mine is off by 10%, but the odometer is correct because the factory changed the calculation on speed versus miles traveled. Is that correct?

Therefore, having your speedo read fast (gear change) will still accrue miles faster as well.

drago52
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Ahhhh, I get it now. The speedo is off with stock gearing, I know mine is off by 10%, but the odometer is correct because the factory changed the calculation on speed versus miles traveled. Is that correct?

Therefore, having your speedo read fast will still accrue miles faster as well.

If you change nothing, take a stock bike and install a speedohealer and calibrate it, the speedo will read correctly, but your odometer will read less miles than actual.

If your stock speedo is 7% high, you add a -7% calibration factor to the speedohealer and your odometer is now reading 7% less miles (per mile).

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM
If you change nothing, take a stock bike and install a speedohealer and calibrate it, the speedo will read correctly, but your odometer will read less miles than actual.

If your stock speedo is 7% high, you add a -7% calibration factor to the speedohealer and your odometer is now reading 7% less miles (per mile).That's what I was saying...

CaneZach
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
The speedohealer intercepts the pulses from the speed sensor and resends the pulses at a different rate to the tach. I have one and like it. Once you calibrate it (I used gps), the % change is how much your odometer will be off. The speed will be accurate (indicated speed of 70mph will be 70mph), but the odometer won't (unless you have a separate sensor for the odo).

Casey's post confused me. Just to be sure, if I add the speedohealer or the thing Leah and Wick are posting, it will adjust the odo as well? If I'm geared -1/+2, not only does it throw the speedo off, but the odo as well, so I'm assuming a speedohealer will fix this? :?

Mother Goose
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/377484935_b4ee114483.jpg

KX450Racer
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
We have had great luck with the Speedo Tuner. Any thoughts on that brand? The price is right at $79.95.

Bueller
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM
You have one pulse that feed 2 separate circuit boards, they are not usually identical or calibrated to each other. you can correct for gearing but depending on which way you calculate your error, either a sampling of miles or using speed, you will calibrate it to that particular board and that will be the accurate one. The other will be off by the difference in accuracy between the two.

TFOGGuys
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Casey's post confused me. Just to be sure, if I add the speedohealer or the thing Leah and Wick are posting, it will adjust the odo as well? If I'm geared -1/+2, not only does it throw the speedo off, but the odo as well, so I'm assuming a speedohealer will fix this? :?

Basically, if you correct based on speed(gps or time over known distance), your odometer will probably read low(depending on how accurate the speedo was stock). If you calibrate based on measured distance alone, your odometer will be accurate, but your speedo will be off by exactly the same percentage as it was from the factory. The only way I can conceive of to get BOTH accurate simultaneously would be to somehow feed one of the two a signal from a separate pickup, like the one from Koso, but that seems to be more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

Edit: To answer your question, a speedo healer installed with a correction factor based on percentage of gearing change should correct the odometer, but will leave the speedometer optimistic by whatever percentage it was off from the factory (usually 6-10%).

Edit 2: Yeah, what Dave said...

Penadam
Tue Apr 19th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks in advance.

With the likely 10% you're off, it's just mental math time. Move the decimal and subtract! It's only fun when you get something that's not a multiple of 5%.

Finklestein87
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Plus, for $70, you can eat Ramen all week and be able to buy it by the weekend. :D

Hmmm...my budget is so shot right now I might just have to do this

spdu4ia
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 07:20 AM
With the likely 10% you're off, it's just mental math time. Move the decimal and subtract! It's only fun when you get something that's not a multiple of 5%.

If riding a motorcycle requires doing math i QUIT!

on a side note im in the same boat as Cane . -1/+2 and I am pretty lost here. I just want my speedometer to be correct.

longrider
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 07:29 AM
All speedos read high stock due to the legal issue in that if something happened due to the fact you were going faster than you thought you were the manufacturer could be held liable. However car manufacturers handle that with a 2 - 3% adjustment which is more than enough to cover production tolerances. Aprilia is also that accurate. Only Japanese bikes seem to have the 7 - 10% error programmed in

longrider
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 07:31 AM
If riding a motorcycle requires doing math i QUIT!

on a side note im in the same boat as Cane . -1/+2 and I am pretty lost here. I just want my speedometer to be correct.

Travis, if you are talking about your Aprilia you should be fine. I'm not 100% sure about your model but the Mille and Tuono use a rear wheel speed sensor so gearing has no effect on the speedo

spdu4ia
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Well I thought so too but mine seems pretty far off after the regear. Maybe I should check it agaisnt someone else riding with me.

Vellos
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Older bikes used the transmission for the speedometer, newer ones tend to use the front wheel.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Older bikes used the transmission for the speedometer, newer ones tend to use the front wheel.That's the opposite on all my bikes. The old one's have sensor on front wheel and the new one's have it off the tranny.

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Who uses their speedometer anyway?

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Who uses their speedometer anyway?I use mine to keep my insurance affordable!!

spdu4ia
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM
That's the opposite on all my bikes. The old one's have sensor on front wheel and the new one's have it off the tranny.

I think thats what mine is... I try to keep the tranny under control but sometimes it just comes out... what can you do :piss:

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM
That's the opposite on all my bikes. The old one's have sensor on front wheel and the new one's have it off the tranny.

tru dat

my roomate is actually making a healer for his 636 as I type this...yes, we are geeks

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:16 AM
tru dat

my roomate is actually making a healer for his 636 as I type this...yes, we are geeks

http://nola.humidbeings.com/_user/images/larges/1385fdd0e0dcde8b419758d81f614431.jpg

Mother Goose
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I try to keep the tranny under control but sometimes it just comes out... what can you do :piss:
:wtf: All this tranny talk is starting to scare me.

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I use mine to keep my insurance affordable!!

Actually, in the past 8 years I've had State Farm, I've never seen an increase in rates for the 3 20+ speeding tickets I have received (2 car 1 bike).

Ricky
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Actually, in the past 8 years I've had State Farm, I've never seen an increase in rates for the 3 20+ speeding tickets I have received (2 car 1 bike).

You must be in the special club that I'm in. There's some special list you get on if they don't consider you a high risk driver. Then they don't pull your driving record on a regular basis. They haven't pulled my record since 1999.

OUTLAWD
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
you two are special all right

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Actually, in the past 8 years I've had State Farm, I've never seen an increase in rates for the 3 20+ speeding tickets I have received (2 car 1 bike).Holy shit! We have S.F. as well and we would have been dropped if either of us had that many tickets.

You must be in the special club that I'm in. There's some special list you get on if they don't consider you a high risk driver. Then they don't pull your driving record on a regular basis. They haven't pulled my record since 1999.That's gotta be it. I know our record hasn't been pulled in several years.

Ricky
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Yeah, about 3 yrs ago I got a reckless, then 19mph over, then another 19mph over within 3 months. Literally 12 points before plea. I called state farm to ask and she told me they don't pull my record, so don't worry.

Vellos
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Were they out of state tickets?

Ted
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 09:38 AM
I have the speedo healer on my bike . My speedo was reading 15mph faster than actual (-2, +6). It is corrected now, but i have never checked whether or not my odometer is accurate.

Who uses their speedometer anyway?

My tachometer and speedometer readings tell me what gear the bike is in (while in motion of course). I am not fortunate to have one of those bikes that shipped with a gear indicator.....

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
My tachometer and speedometer readings tell me what gear the bike is in (while in motion of course). I am not fortunate to have one of those bikes that shipped with a gear indicator.....

Neither am I. I know that in 5th gear at 75 mph my bike will sound and feel like "this".

Hence my serious question of who really uses their speedometer anyway. Although I admit it is a bit weird riding without one, which I did for about a month on the Drz.

Bueller
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 09:49 AM
Neither am I. I know that in 5th gear at 75 mph my bike will sound and feel like "this".

Hence my serious question of who really uses their speedometer anyway. Although I admit it is a bit weird riding without one, which I did for about a month on the Drz.

Did you still want that Vapor, I couldn't get it to do what I wanted it to do on the ninja so I am going to get it back to Patrick.

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
Did you still want that Vapor, I couldn't get it to do what I wanted it to do on the ninja so I am going to get it back to Patrick.

Sure. What kind of water temperature sensor did it come with? Was is the one that needed to be tapped into the coolant lines or the type that had a little sensor ring that got put over the threads for the OEM temperature sensor?

Bueller
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 10:37 AM
It replaced the one that was screwed into my t-stat housing.

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM
It replaced the one that was screwed into my t-stat housing.

I'll probably be driving down to Springs on Friday. I can swing by your place on the way out/back if you are around.

Bueller
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM
I'll be at work all day, you can come by there, it is at the Pepsi bottling plant off of Brighton Blvd.

Zach929rr
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'll be at work all day, you can come by there, it is at the Pepsi bottling plant off of Brighton Blvd.

I'll call/text you. Probably hit you on the way out in the late morning since I need to swing by 303.