PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming/NM bike sales and titles?

WolFeYeZ
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Ive found two well priced great looking CBR's in NM and Wyoming. I am more interested in the Wyoming one, but I am not sure how the whole title process works for this. Will it work out well or just be a complete hassle? (such as having to bond for a title and such)

Beyond this I would like some guidance as to how everything should work with a private to private sale such as Bill of Sale, Title, Registration, etc. Things I've already figured out are, Bill of Sale should be needed for taxes here in Colorado and that it would be a smart idea to get a down payment on the one I want to get.

All of my other vehicle transactions have been at a dealer so I feel fairly spoiled at this point. Advise please :bow:

2isbetterthan4
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I have only ever bought one vehicle at a dealership and it was a car. As far as the bikes and other cars I've owned, all I've needed to get the vehicle registered is the title. There is a box on the back of the title that you can fill in purchase price, mileage, etc, and the DMV has always just used that info off of the title, they have never asked me to see the bill of sale. It is still a very good idea to get a bill of sale from the seller though, completely laying out the terms of the sale (purchase price, as-is vs. warranty, date of sale, as well as signatures of the seller and buyer) in order to protect both parties legally. All you should need to do is make sure that the seller has the title in hand and gives it to you when you buy the bike (MAKE SURE THEY SIGN IT IN THE CORRECT PLACE), if he/she has the title in hand it should be a fairly easy process. To get the bike registered in Colorado all you should need to do is bring your drivers license, insurance, and the title to the DMV, pay your fees and you should be all set.

I have never bought a vehicle when the seller did not have a title so I'm not sure as far as the process of obtaining a new one for a lost title or salvaged bike, although I've heard it can be quite a hassle.

Let me know if this helps or if there is any other info I can provide. Good luck with your purchase!

WolFeYeZ
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 01:59 AM
The bike I am looking at does have a title, but just in northern Wyoming. Don't mind the drive really because I love road trips. Thank You :)

2isbetterthan4
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 02:01 AM
No problem, I'm happy to help!

Good luck!

zPurpleRoom
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I purchased my car in NM a few years back. The process is fairly simple as 2isbetterthan4 stated with one additional caveat. There is a form called a VIN verification form (or something like that). You need to take your new vehicle to a dealership, emissions house, or law enforcement agency to get the VIN certified. Some of these places charge a small fee (like $15.00) to complete the form. The DMV will require this form before they will issue a new title or registration. Also, make sure that the title is endorsed in the appropriate areas with no other alterations. If not, the seller will need to apply for a new title in his or her state and then endorse the title correctly. The DMV is a huge stickler perfect titles.

BC14
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I believe he stated that the bike does indeed have a title.

Airreed
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I just bought a bike out of state and the process is pretty simple.

A VIN verification is required (DMV will charge you $12.00 or Fay Myers will do it for Free, also many PDs will do it for free also).
When you go to register the bike you will have to pay state taxes, so plan on having a couple hundred bucks ready to give to the "man".

They did not ask for my insurance card, but there are signs posted everywhere that you need insurance to register a vehicle.

Good Luck on the bike!

Sean
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I just bought a bike from AZ and it was really easy. The bike had a clean title and I drafted up a bill of sale (for my own records). Took it to the DMV with the title, they looked at the bike/VIN, I paid them a butt load of cash for sales tax/registration and I was on my way. Unlike Airreed, they did ask me for proof of insurance.

Plus, I'm not sure if it was because it was bought out of state, or because it is a titled off-road vehicle, but they asked me how much I paid for it, instead of looking up blue book. That was nice.

Ricky
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I've got 4 plated vehicles, and the insurance card request is hit or miss when I go in there. Sometimes they care, sometimes they don't. I don't know if it depends on the person or what they see in the system or what.

MetaLord 9
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 09:10 AM
You've gotta insure the bike anyway and all it takes is a five minute phone call, access to the internet, and a printer to get proof of insurance. Might as well do it ahead of time and save yourself another step/wait in line.

Out of state vehicles require VIN inspections (cars also require emissions), other than that, you just need the title, proof of ins., valid Driver's License, and the patience to sit through the DMV's line (go to your own county for this, not just any old DMV).

If you're looking at a vehicle from another state without a title, don't. The bonding process in CO is a PITA and that only applies to CO titles. If you've got a WY or NM vehicle without a title, then you'll have to go through the title process for that particular state to acquire a title and then you bring the title into CO and re-title it here. It's more money and time then it will be worth.

WolFeYeZ
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all of the help guys. Seems like I found what I want then :)

WolFeYeZ
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM
One more question. Does any state have title issues when coming back to CO? I also found a bike in Texas I am looking into.

MetaLord 9
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 01:24 PM
You might wanna double check your research as to where the title has to change hands. That is, if you buy a bike with a texas title, do you have to title it in texas before moving the title over to CO or can you change ownership & state in the same move

brennahm
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I was able to buy a local bike that had a NY title and there was no trouble.

IMPORTANT: Some titles for other states (NY for example) do not have a place for a purchase price. In these instances you MUST HAVE a bill of sale. It would be good practice to get a bill of sale anyway, but make sure you have paperwork stating purchase price.

R1-Laubinero
Wed Apr 20th, 2011, 09:49 PM
arakansas has problems-- allot-- straw loans are a no no