PDA

View Full Version : LED headlight bulb review

spdu4ia
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM
First off these are acctually pretty cool. They fit like a standard bulb. The light is a PURE white. It is suprising how bright they are. I have a dual bulb headlight (one for bright) and to ride at night if I turn on the bright and the normal light it is the same brightness as just a standard bulb is without the bright on (if that makes sense). They are definetly not AS bright but not enough to not make me keep them in for a while at least ( I dont' ride at night). If you want stupid bright get an HID and get over yourself. I got the pair of bulbs on Ebay for around $7 shipped so I figured why not try it out.

I really like the futuristic look of them too. On to the pics... (all the pics are my standard light , no brights)

NIGHT RIDE UPDATE:
ok... these things are GARBAGE for riding at night. Project about 10% of the stock bulbs. I would only use these for daytime running lights and NEVER for riding at night. Looking at them they offer good visibility of you but project almost no light out onto the road.
Just thought I'd warn everyone. For less than $10 i'm not real dissapointed but didn't want someone to get caught out with these as your only way to get home in the dark because you'd be royaly screwed!

First pic is just the bulb off.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5050/5641976392_cb51c8aa9d_z.jpg

This is how it looks to the naked eye from a distance of 10 feet or farther. Really nice light output.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5055/5641976486_86283c9689_z.jpg

Here is what it looks like when you get REALLY close to it and risk your eyesight (like staring into the sun, I wouldn't recomend this, I just took a fast shutter speed on my camera to catch it because I think its cool)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5060/5641976270_c0fe841b63_z.jpg

mastap07
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
saweet!

houdini
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
What is the name of these? I recently put a HID in my Hayabusa on the regular light and now my high beam or spot light or whatever ya call it doesnt seem bright enough! None of the bulbs ive used so far have made me happy!LOL If anyone is wondering why i need so much light? Its because i came from Florida where if u dont have 900,000,000 candlepower beaming from your bike chances are one of the 20,000,000 half blind retirees, or the 10,000,000 tourists who are driving around trying to spot a dolphin instead of us are going to run you over! I would put the light from the Luxor on my bike if i could ! :)

asp_125
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Heh.. did a quick google. They're mostly all made in China or Taiwan. It'd be nice if they listed the light output in lumens or candlepower to compare to regular filament or HID bulbs.

Snowman
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Is there a way to focus the beam to burn holes in the cars in front of you?

Ricky
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
One day..... It's just now that I'm starting to see good home LED lighting. I've popped in a few LED's in my track lighting in my kitchen. 4W and 6W LED's in an MR16 bulb are about as bright as a halogen 50W.

spdu4ia
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Here is the place I got mine... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140529885741&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I'm pretty sure at this early stage they are all the same. But for less than $10 for the pair I figured why not , i'll try em for a while

spdu4ia
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
NIGHT RIDE UPDATE:
ok... these things are GARBAGE for riding at night. Project about 10% of the stock bulbs. I would only use these for daytime running lights and NEVER for riding at night. Looking at them they offer good visibility of you but project almost no light out onto the road.
Just thought I'd warn everyone. For less than $10 i'm not real dissapointed but didn't want someone to get caught out with these as your only way to get home in the dark because you'd be royaly screwed since these things suck dicks in hell.

Cap'n Crunch
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Lol . Good to know. Thanks

longrider
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the update, I was thinking of trying those in my highbeams. (I have real HID in the lowbeams) After thinking about it your result makes sense, the optics of the reflector are set up for all the light to come from a very concentrated source (the filament). There are maybe 2 LED elements at that focal point.

spdu4ia
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:02 PM
what size bulb is your high beam. If it is an H7 I'll give you one.