PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Yamaha CL250 problems

colopirate
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 09:20 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h221/BHALE1987/photo.jpg

So, I got this bike for $100 from my boss because it has been sitting for about 5 years outside in northern colorado... it was to good a deal to pass up.

now, after about two weeks we've cleaned it up:

-cleaned the carbs
-no rust in the gas tank
-got the engine un seized
-changed the oil

so, i have spark, compression, everything seems good, but, when i kick the kick start there is black thick crap spraying out of the spark plug hole (not the technical term... i think). its pretty heavy, and obviously isnt allowing my bike to spark and turn over... any ideas on what could be causing this problem, and how i should fix it??? I'm not sure what it is, could be oil, could be grime from it sitting outside for three years, any thoughts???

Penadam
Thu Apr 21st, 2011, 10:51 PM
Helps when the spark plugs are in the holes, not out. Just kidding. If it's accumulated grime, you should eventually be able to clear it out by turning it over a few times. You could have an oil leak, either bad rings or something in the head. After that, is the spark timed right? Is the plug in good enough condition? And is the spark plug hole actually for the spark plus, our is it a compression release?

colopirate
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
First I just realized a typo, it's a xt250, my Honda is a cl...

Yes it's the spark plug hole, I took the old one out of it, put a new one in, kicked a few time, took the plug out and it was filthy! So that's when I tried kicking it with the plug out, and it put a black spot on a paper towel I covered the hole with. I tried kicking like 10-15 time and they all spit out black gunk. It didn't seem to be any better than the time before.