PDA

View Full Version : Browser Reviews (Mac)

Vellos
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
In the same week I spent 2 days each trying a different browsers and seeing how much I could utilize them to my preferences. I am not a computer-whiz but if anyone was looking to try a different browser here is my opinion.

Safari (6/10) is very basic, easy to navigate. Most visited page feature was useful, but also took a while to load. Not enough here to make it a personal browsing experience. Overall good for a shared browser like for school computers.

http://www.demogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/apple-safari-browser.png

Firefox (7/10) is a step up. Better security features and information storing options. Tab feature was much easier to use, and the search bar with scroll-down options is great. I found it frustrating that the Mac version did not support quick-command spellchecking. Overall I was let down on the hype people brought toward Firefox, but maybe it is more friendly toward Windows users.

http://www.applegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/firefox-3-mac.jpg

Google Chrome (9.5/10) is simply everything I wanted. Easy to navigate, tab feature is on-par with Firefox, and has better security and storing options. Can add themes to make the browser more aesthetically appealing, especially on the (suggested) iGoogle home page and the new tab page. The main bar also serves as the search bar, defaulted to google search, but can be changed to anything you want. It also supports a neat full-screen view setting. I found that Chrome did not support RSS feeds like Firefox did, but I was quickly able to download an add-on from their huge selection that exceeded my expectations. Overall the best choice out there for Mac users.

Finklestein87
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Good info, thanks for sharing.

Ricky
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Interesting tidbit:

Safari and Chrome are the same browser. They are both using "webkit" which was originally written by Apple. Google just took it and make it better...

WolFeYeZ
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
Interesting tidbit:

Safari and Chrome are the same browser. They are both using "webkit" which was originally written by Apple. Google just took it and make it better...

Oh that is interesting. Is that true for the Windows version as well?

Ricky
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 04:07 PM
Oh that is interesting. Is that true for the Windows version as well?

Yes

TurboGizzmo
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
I find Chrome to be more CPU hungry at times with flash, i personally use all three at the same time for different sites and things.....

Ted
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
I use IE on windows and firefox on linux. Both work great , at least for me. Never head any issues...

DevilsTonic
Sat Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:36 AM
I use chrome on both my windows machine and my Mac. If I could find a version of chrome for my iPhone and iPad, I would use it there too.

modette99
Sat Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
I only use Chrome now...but funny you did not review the new Iexplorer. Which is my backup.