PDA

View Full Version : Frame Slider Install

Sarge
Sat Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hey guys, I've touched on this topic before and now I finally have all the parts and the bike to go with it. ;)

I've got an 07 RSV with carbon fiber fairings that I need to cut into and install a forward set of frame sliders onto. People have mentioned before having access to the proper tools (drill and a laser level, etc). I have none of these things, so I was hoping somebody here could help me out.

I'm in the Springs, 10 minutes from Fort Carson off of Academy. I can travel, or can host in my own garage. I can offer some cash, or if we do it all at my place I've got a BBQ and plenty of meat and beer.

Thanks in advance,

-Sarge

CaneZach
Sat Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
What kind of sliders did you get? I can give you a hand if you need it.

Sarge
Sat Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
You used to have the 07 Factory as well didn't you? I've got a set of R&G's for the front. I already installed the lower ones, but the fronts require cutting into the fairings. You ever cut into carbon fiber before?

http://www.rg-racing.com/sports-bike-protectors/aprilia-crash-protectors/RSVR-04-Factory-CP-RHS-1-top.jpg
http://www.rg-racing.com/sports-bike-protectors/aprilia-crash-protectors/RSVR-04-Factory-CP-RHS-4-top.jpg

This is where I have to cut, but I don't have crap for tools at the moment. If you've got the tools maybe I can ride up to your place sometime? Let me know what works for you.

Thanks,

-Sarge

CaneZach
Sat Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I owned the 07 Factory, but I never installed frame sliders on it when I owned it. I've never cut into carbon fiber, but I have the tools as long as it doesn't require a special bit to cut through it.

Sarge
Sat Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Sweet, I've never done it myself, either. I've heard you have to just be careful that you don't catch and pull the fibers with the drill or something. I figure as long as you take things nice and slow it should be alright. Let me know what works for you as far as time and place.

Thanks again,

-Sarge

MattTLS
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I've not cut holes in carbon fiber sheet before, but after marking the location, perhaps a dremel would work better than a hole-cutter. It would be less likely to 'walk' on you. And I would tape the area that the cut is to be made.

CaneZach
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I've not cut holes in carbon fiber sheet before, but after marking the location, perhaps a dremel would work better than a hole-cutter. It would be less likely to 'walk' on you. And I would tape the area that the cut is to be made.

That's what I was planning.

Joe, when we hook you up, you'll have to pick up a new set of plexi-point drill bits or 60º drill bits (we want SHARP drill bits) and some 400 grit sandpaper to smooth out the edges of the hole. We'll start with a very small bit at first, let the drill do the work, then gradually work our way up to the proper size.

extremepaint
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 11:48 AM
the biggest thing you need to be concerned about is sealing the edges.cutting it isnt that hard since its just resin and cloth.. but it will start falling apart at the cut if you dont treat it.

how do you treat it you ask? why a midget wearing a hard hat stuck to a construction beam will tell you!

*hold on looking for old add*

damn! ok, hes not a midget... but what ever, hear's the add

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXZv2KZKCCo

CaneZach
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM
So, what you're saying in your elaborate post is, "Just add some Krazy Glue to the edges and it will seal it." :lol:

Sarge
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
That's what I was planning.

Joe, when we hook you up, you'll have to pick up a new set of plexi-point drill bits or 60º drill bits (we want SHARP drill bits) and some 400 grit sandpaper to smooth out the edges of the hole. We'll start with a very small bit at first, let the drill do the work, then gradually work our way up to the proper size.

Nice, this the kind of thing I can find at Home Depot or do I have to do some specialty shopping? From what I understand it's just a plexi-glass drill bit, right? Do you have a Dremel as well? I guess the last thing would be some epoxy or even crazy glue or something to seal the CF afterwards?

When did you want to get together to do this? IIRC your days off are towards the weekends. Let me know when I should give you a call or something.

extremepaint
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
its elementary my dear watson! just a small beed of very thin super glue long the edge will be enough to soak into the fiber weave and seal it up. i used to cut custom r/c car chassis with a dremel so i know all to well the pain of cutting woven carbon fiber. remember to wear gloves!!

CaneZach
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Joe, I have a Dremel, but was planning on using a low speed drill. The plexi bits or 60º bits have a pointed tip, unlike a standarf masonry or carpentry drill bit, so they won't bind or snag the CF as the bit starts passing through the material. I'm not sure if Home Depot would carry them, so check online to see. These are the ones I'm talking about, in case there's any confusion:

http://thefabricatorssource.com/products/06drills.htm

If not, we can make do with standard drill bits, since we'll be starting with a small bit and gradually increasing the diameter of the hole. I'm off Thursday-Saturday, but I'll be unavailable this Saturday (I've got plans) and next Saturday (MRA race weekend, so I'll be racing), so give me a call and we can figure out a good time to get together. I have the drill, a Dremel, a laser level, stands, gloves, etc., so all you'll need to bring is the bike, the sliders, Krazy glue, and some sandpaper.

Sarge
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Sounds good. I think you're right about the drill. We need to turn an 1/8th inch hole into a 3 inch hole, if it starts a little rough I think we'll be alright. ;) I'll give you a call sometime Friday or something.

Thanks again, I owe you two now ;).

Bueller
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Why not use a hole saw? If you keep stepping up the size the hole is going to shift, tape up both sides of the CF with painters tape to keep it from splintering and drill it once in the right spot with a bimetal bit.

Sarge
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Why not use a hole saw? If you keep stepping up the size the hole is going to shift, tape up both sides of the CF with painters tape to keep it from splintering and drill it once in the right spot with a bimetal bit.

I'm not even sure if it needs an actual hole vs just taking away a few inches of the inside edge of the fairing. As you can see from the pic I posted (mines a little different, I have more fairing pieces) the place where the slider goes is actually inside that indent in the fairing, and the front part of that indent is actually open. It might just be a matter of increasing the size of the existing hole slightly. That, and the whole thing is VERY curvy, I think a hole saw would keep biting in three or four places before it got in deep enough to make the hole I needed, might be more pain than it's worth.

CaneZach
Sun Apr 24th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Edit: what Joe said