PDA

View Full Version : Sweetener Xylitol Toxic to Dogs

bulldog
Thu Apr 28th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I have posted this before but seems like it came up in the news recently and I wanted all dog owners to know about it since this person saved their dog because someone else told them!

Certain types of sugar-free gum, mints, candies, toothpaste, chewable vitamins and throat lozenges contain the sugar alcohol sweetener Xylitol, which is used as a sugar subsitute. Xylitol is safe for people and felines, but when dogs consume Xylitol, they get a surge of insulin causing hypoglycemia. The sudden surge of insulin can also cause liver failure in dogs, depending on how much Xylitol is consumed.

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=195690

bulldog
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Dang nobody cares about the doggies????

We get tons of responses on any drama thread, but none on a something that can kill our furry friends that I want passed around :puppy:

PhL0aTeR
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM
my dog chewed gum when he was trying to quit smoking, but now its not really an issue...

bornwildnfree
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Of course we car about dogs, but who in their right mind gives their dog sugar-free gum, mints, candies, toothpaste, chewable vitamins and throat lozenges? I mean honestly, I stick with beef jerky and cheese for a treat.

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Dang nobody cares about the doggies????

We get tons of responses on any drama thread, but none on a something that can kill our furry friends that I want passed around :puppy:
Didn't you post this a few months ago? Or was it something else they are allergic to?

Ricky
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I care, but I don't chew gum. Besides, my dog knows that if he touches something that's mine, his ass is grass. I'm pretty good about making sure shit is away from him.... last thing I want him eating is my gourmet chocolate covered bacon!

Side note: EVERYTHING is mine.... even that collar on his neck, lol.

bulldog
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Of course we car about dogs, but who in their right mind gives their dog sugar-free gum, mints, candies, toothpaste, chewable vitamins and throat lozenges? I mean honestly, I stick with beef jerky and cheese for a treat.
lol...we all know dogs get into things that they are not suppose to.

Didn't you post this a few months ago? Or was it something else they are allergic to? No this is the same thing, but seems like many people do not know about it and it can be a matter of life and death on how fast you can get them to the vet to save them. At least if people knew, they would know not to wait to see if the sickness passes.

Came up on the news again and a person was really thankful she had read about this on Faceboof and it saved her dogs lives.

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Well, people might not intentionally give things like that to their dogs but might leave them around where they can get to them, thinking that they aren't dangerous. It's good to know these things.

Dirk

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 09:24 AM
i only have fish. :D

bornwildnfree
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 10:33 AM
lol...we all know dogs get into things that they are not suppose to.

I know, but I figured if I said something, everyone would totally jump into this thread. I swear I can't post anything on the CSC with out people going nuts ;)

bulldog
Fri Apr 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I know, but I figured if I said something, everyone would totally jump into this thread. I swear I can't post anything on the CSC with out people going nuts ;)Nice!! :lol: Hey the more people that know the better! That is my goal!!!! :up:

I almost learned this the hard way when my dog got into my girlfriend's purse and ate her sugar free gum a few months ago. I got lucky and he had ate the artificial sweetener "sorbital", so he got sick, but didn't die. After doing research and talking with the vet I found out how deadly this "Xylitol" can be. A dog 60 pounds can die from eating just a few stick of gum (Trident and Orbit are one the major brands) and it comes down to minutes to get them to the vet to reverse the insulin crash. I never knew this and I am sure may other people don't either....