PDA

View Full Version : Safety Wire Pliers

dgoldan
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Oaky, I've seen eBay listings claiming that their $35 price is more than half off the $80 retail for these. At Harbor Freight, they're normally $8.99, and on sale in my half price catalog for $4.49.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45340

Is there anything special about other pliers that makes them better for safety wiring than these or is this a good deal?

Dan

surfinspacegirl
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Nope, they look like the same thing to me

BlueDevil
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 01:55 PM
I love Harbor Freight. I jsut dropped a sh*t load there gearin up the garage with all the tools I need for the bike. The prices are unbeatable. Heck I got 2 500lbs bike ramps for 34.00. Torque wrench for 17.00 (up to 80ftlbs) I always write up a list and go there for everything at once.

I didnt know those existed. I need to get that on the list.......Need it done by next season.

Hozerking
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:11 PM
man I got ripped off! :o

fay meyers ... pliyers were like 25 and so was the wire so i walked out of there 50 bucks lighter! .... :x

I'll chalk this down in the lesson learned category! Harbor Freight is cool!

-al

Anonymous
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Does any place sell safety wire in bulk? It seems if they do, a bunch of us could get together for a safety wire/beer day in someone's garage, split the cost, and save some $$. Could also get some extra help that way if needed.

With so many of us getting into racing now, I think this might be a big hit. I'll even donate the garage space (2 car, I can fit a lot of bikes in there) if someone can find a big-arse spool of safety wire.

BlueDevil
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Granted the stuff is not Craftsman or guanteed for life or anything but on a budget U can get all U need here. For about 150.00 I filled the old tool chest with all the needed items. Even got a little seat with wheels and a catch all for dropped nuts/bolts, or just a place to hold them while U work on a part. 11.00. 3 section tool chest for 34.00.

They had a vise (sp?) for 5.00 and a electric metal grinder for 17.00. Hell I dont even need one and I wanted to get it fo that deal. haha

Full SAE and Metric (in one pouch) hex sets 4.00. I can go on an on.

Hozerking
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:18 PM
How much safety wire do you need? 1lb should do like 40 maybe more bikes!

9 bucks at harbor freight!

-al

Anonymous
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:18 PM

-al

Oh ok, just wondering... Didn't know how far a spool would go. :)

BlueDevil
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Does any place sell safety wire in bulk? It seems if they do, a bunch of us could get together for a safety wire/beer day in someone's garage, split the cost, and save some $$. Could also get some extra help that way if needed.

With so many of us getting into racing now, I think this might be a big hit. I'll even donate the garage space (2 car, I can fit a lot of bikes in there) if someone can find a big-arse spool of safety wire.

Hey Id be up for that. I dont klnow all the things that should be wired up to race MRA and would love the help and or company. Ill watch out for something like this to happen.

surfinspacegirl
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Hey Id be up for that. I dont klnow all the things that should be wired up to race MRA and would love the help and or company. Ill watch out for something like this to happen.

Dion, the general rule is, safety wire everything that, if it were to work itself loose, would cause you to lose braking action or spill fluids. So: raditor cap, oild drain plug & filler cap, brake caliper bolts, brake banjo bolts, etc..

Hozerking
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:25 PM

-al

Oh ok, just wondering... Didn't know how far a spool would go. :)

of course I'm assuming you don't weave a whole new set of bodywork from safetywire! ... :lol:

seriously thought the stuff goes a long way... the 1lb spool of 0.032" is approxamitly 600ft!! and if you are only stick to safetywiring the basic stuff like axels, brake calipers, oil filter, drain plug ..... then it will definitly last a long long time!

-al

Anonymous
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Yeah, there are also certain ways to do it too. Like wrapping the wire such that it pulls the bolt tighter, not looser; etc. There are some diagrams in the back of the MRA book on that regard.

I'd still like to have someone help out the first go around just to make sure I don't miss something obvious. It'd be stupid to fail tech over a piece of wire... :)

BlueDevil
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:30 PM
I'd still like to have someone help out the first go around just to make sure I don't miss something obvious. It'd be stupid to fail tech over a piece of wire... :)

Ditto

Hozerking
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:32 PM
It will take you one or two tries to get the hang of it but it isn't that hard! ... even though it takes me like 2 or three tries to go my oil plug everytime I change the oit cause I'm not willing to drill the little tap on the oil pan that hond conveniently left there! :D

If you need a hand I'd more than willing to help get you started.

-al

yakuza
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 02:40 PM
It will take you one or two tries to get the hang of it but it isn't that hard! ... even though it takes me like 2 or three tries to go my oil plug everytime I change the oit cause I'm not willing to drill the little tap on the oil pan that hond conveniently left there! :D

-al

Al, you mean that little shield of aluminum that hangs down around the drain bolt? I drilled through that thing just fine, it's soft like butter! :D

Hozerking
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 03:25 PM

-al

Al, you mean that little shield of aluminum that hangs down around the drain bolt? I drilled through that thing just fine, it's soft like butter! :D

I know .... I just have a hard time cutting or drilling :( my bikes .... lucky for me the previous owner already drilled all the bolts and installed the frame sliders cause I would have a hard time making myself do sutch a thing! :D drilling a hole in a perfectly good bike is a difficult concept for me :lol: ..... and yes I know its odd! ... I'm getting myself physiced up to drill it during my next oil change, at least I won't have to safetywir to the exhaust anymore ... :lol:

-al

Anonymous
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 04:56 PM
I love Harbor Freight. I jsut dropped a sh*t load there gearin up the garage with all the tools I need for the bike. The prices are unbeatable. Heck I got 2 500lbs bike ramps for 34.00. Torque wrench for 17.00 (up to 80ftlbs) I always write up a list and go there for everything at once.

I didnt know those existed. I need to get that on the list.......Need it done by next season.Dion, did you go to the store in Aurora? If something's on sale on the website, does that mean it's on sale in the store too?

Hozerking
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 07:17 PM

I didnt know those existed. I need to get that on the list.......Need it done by next season.Dion, did you go to the store in Aurora? If something's on sale on the website, does that mean it's on sale in the store too?

usually yes! .... but the store somtimes runs out of stuff! so it may help to call!

-al

mikesf4i
Thu Aug 14th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Plz read ; http://av-info.faa.gov/dst/43-13/
go to chapter 7, section 7 safetying

Most of the A&P mechanics that I work with do not use safety wire pliers because they nick the wire and cause stress risers in it. They normally use their hands to twist the wire.

The above information applies to aircraft but should help.