PDA

View Full Version : Sooo the DMV sucks balls...

Smitty
Wed May 4th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Just got back from the DMV to get my new trailer register so I can start hauling my bike around and start having some fun on track days. So I called ahead of time to make sure I had all the paper work in order, because I know how these asshats can be.

Got there and waited like usual at the DMV and finally got called. So the lady proceeded to tell me that the rules have change with trailer. "Mother fucker here come some bullshit", runs through my head. So she tells me that I have to have a certified vin verification done and that I need to call the State Patrol to setup an apointment and that I can't have a temp tag until I have to appointment set.

I call the State Patrol to hopefully get it done withing a few days or some. I mean at worst it's going to be next week sometime, since they only do it Mondays and Wednesday from 1:00pm - 3:45pm. Oh how wrong I was. The earliest appointment I could get was fucking June 6th. But right before I got to get the inspection done I have to go back to the DMV to get a temp tag and after the inspection go back to register it and get it's plate. "MOTHER FUCKERS!!!" :doublefinger:

So my trailer and track bike will be sitting in my garage for a while longer. Fuck I need a beer... or ten!!! :drink:
http://jimmays.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/damn_dmv.jpg

TFOGGuys
Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Was this trailer a homebuilt? If it's just from out of state, all you should need is a regular VIN verification, not a certified one. ANY licensed auto dealer or emissions station can do a standard VIN verification.

Sarge
Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Did they say it HAD to be the State Patrol because it's a trailer? Many dealers and even some auto shops do free VIN verifictions on Autos. I know the PMO on post does them for free, and I'm pretty sure just about any officer in the state can do them. Might ask CaneZach if he can help you out, or I'd be willing to drive the thing on to post and try to get the PMO for you to do it on Friday or something. This is all assuming there isn't anything special about a trailer that ONLY a State Patrol officer can do. Again, I'd send a message to CaneZach if that's the case.

Smitty
Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Was this trailer a homebuilt? If it's just from out of state, all you should need is a regular VIN verification, not a certified one. ANY licensed auto dealer or emissions station can do a standard VIN verification.

No, I bought it as a kit from Harbor Freight new. They said it has to be a Certified VIN Inspection and when I called the state patrol I asked them if there were any other locations that could do and they said there wasn't in the Springs.

Did they say it HAD to be the State Patrol because it's a trailer? Many dealers and even some auto shops do free VIN verifictions on Autos. I know the PMO on post does them for free, and I'm pretty sure just about any officer in the state can do them. Might ask CaneZach if he can help you out, or I'd be willing to drive the thing on to post and try to get the PMO for you to do it on Friday or something. This is all assuming there isn't anything special about a trailer that ONLY a State Patrol officer can do. Again, I'd send a message to CaneZach if that's the case.

I'll see what the PMO on post says about it. I shouldn't have a problem getting the trailer on post, I have stickers on my jeep. Unless the PMO will only do it for military members and not contractors then I may need your help with that. Thanks!

TFOGGuys
Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
No, I bought it as a kit from Harbor Freight new. They said it has to be a Certified VIN Inspection and when I called the state patrol I asked them if there were any other locations that could do and they said there wasn't in the Springs.

I'll see what the PMO on post says about it. I shouldn't have a problem getting the trailer on post, I have stickers on my jeep. Unless the PMO will only do it for military members and not contractors then I may need your help with that. Thanks!

Ok...makes more sense now. As it was a kit from HF , and not a manufactured trailer with an MSO and a VIN tag, under CO law it's a "homebuilt".

Sarge
Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Not a problem. I just brought my bike here from Nevada and had to get a verification done. Believe it or not I actually talked the gate guard into letting me ride my bike onto post WITHOUT registration or anything. (I had an out of state temp registration and insurance, but he didn't ask.) I just said "Hey, I need a VIN verification done so I can register this." He checked my ID, said "Go straight to the PMO" (I knew where it was) and waved me on through.

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on the DMV to mail me the new title. "Three day turnaround on out of state titles" they tell me, but that was two weeks ago... Oh, it was literally the first time the bike was registered, period, in any state. It was brand new with the original title in hand, and I just got a standard VIN verification, nothing certified.

Sarge
Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Ok...makes more sense now. As it was a kit from HF , and not a manufactured trailer with an MSO and a VIN tag, under CO law it's a "homebuilt".

Oh, that explains a LOT. State Patrol likely has to verify that it's road worthy, etc.

Smitty
Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I just got off the phone with PMO and they can do the verification at any time 24hrs a day. I just have to go and get the temp tag and bring the trailer on post. Thanks for the help!

Sarge
Wed May 4th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Did you specifically state that you needed a "Certified" VIN inspection? The lower enlisted Soldiers that work in that office aren't always the brightest...

Smitty
Wed May 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Did you specifically state that you needed a "Certified" VIN inspection? The lower enlisted Soldiers that work in that office aren't always the brightest...

I did ask for a Certified VIN inspection and I was told that's what they do. I know how some of those lower enlisted can be. I think I may even stop by there just to make sure.

PhL0aTeR
Wed May 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM
wow, things sure have changed.... when i got mine done a few years ago, they just gave me a vin sticker to put on the neck of the trailer.

usmcab35
Wed May 4th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I did ask for a Certified VIN inspection and I was told that's what they do. I know how ALL lower enlisted can be. I think I may even stop by there just to make sure.

FIXED it for you..

CaneZach
Wed May 4th, 2011, 02:42 PM
First off, you need a Certified VIN Inspection done because Harbor Freight trailers require a Colorado assigned VIN. Once the trailer is registered, you'll get a title for it and a VIN plate that needs to be drilled onto the tongue. I'm a certified VIN inspector, so I can help you out if you need one done. Cert. VIN inspections are $20.

I would be very hesitant to go to the PMO because only Colorado peace officers can become VIN inspectors and, as far as I know, MP's and civilian LEO's on Ft. Carson are not Colorado POST certified. They might do a VIN VERIFICATION, but not a VIN INSPECTION. I'd call PMO back to make sure because they would typically deal with VIN verifications due to all the service members coming into Colorado.

modette99
Wed May 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Wow so much bad information here.

Unless this changed since 2007. I bought a Kendon Dual bike trailer for the move to CO. Once here I filled out the home built paperwork a member here clued me in on. Prove its not home build!!! I then showed up to the DMV and gave the girl the paper, she asked how much its worth, I said $500 on a good day...LOL She proceeded to give me a plate on the spot, with a VIN (MI trailers do not have VINS...vins on trailers now thats funny CO). I paid whatever it was, I think $40 and I was out of there in 30-40 minutes.

I did not have to get a VIN certification or anything. Walk in with the paper and away I went. Oh and you don't need to drill, its a very sticky aluminum sticker you slap on the right front corner of the trailer. Easy as pi.

This should take you to the forum:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1239165408908&ssbinary=true

If not this should take you to the page where the forums are:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&cid=1212139246080&pagename=Revenue-MV%2FRMVLayout

By the way, I I tapped over my VIN sticker and tossed on my Permanent MI Plate...no more registration for me.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed May 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM
If the DMV were a business run for profit and concerned about customer satisfaction, things would be run much differently.

but since they don't give a fuck if you are happy or not, everyone has to go to them like-it-or-not, it's tough titties to you sir.

TFOGGuys
Wed May 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Wow so much bad information here.

Unless this changed since 2007....

It has.

modette99
Thu May 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM
It has.

I still see the homemade forum, the link I posted to it. There is nothing to inspect if your trailer has no VIN...so what would you be paying for? You need to see the DMV first to even be able to get a VIN sticker.

Most trailers have NO VIN...this is a weird CO thing. The whole VIN inspection I found here was a joke anyways and does nothing...I never herd of such a thing in other states.

Smitty
Thu May 5th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I still see the homemade forum, the link I posted to it. There is nothing to inspect if your trailer has no VIN...so what would you be paying for? You need to see the DMV first to even be able to get a VIN sticker.

Most trailers have NO VIN...this is a weird CO thing. The whole VIN inspection I found here was a joke anyways and does nothing...I never herd of such a thing in other states.

I've never had to get VIN inspections until I moved to CO either. The trailer has a VIN that it came with but I guess I have to get a CO one so I can get a title for it. CaneZach is helping me out with this situation, which is really appreciated. I'm going with what he says since he is probably the most qualified. I do appreciate everyone's help on this.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu May 5th, 2011, 07:54 AM

Same thing in Wisconsin. Although not for trailers under a certain GVW - I forget what the spec is. WI and MN learned it cost the state more money than they brought in to fuck around with utility and boat trailers.

Swift
Thu May 5th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Look at the bright side, you could be in California.