PDA

View Full Version : New Honda V4 Sportbike?

ChrisCBX
Wed May 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
From the latest edition of Motorcyclist magazine..........

http://image.motorcyclistonline.com/f/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1104_honda_rvf1000r_coming_soon/36478983+pheader_460x1000/122-1104-01-o+honda-rvf1000r-superbike+.jpg

Honda RVF1000R | Coming Soon?

Honda's Next-Generation V4 Superbike—and MotoGP Platform?
From the April, 2011 issue of Motorcyclist
By Ben Purvis
Illustrator: Jean-Marie Guerin

Honda is planning to revive the RVF model name as soon as 2012 with an all-new, 1000cc, V4-engined superbike called the RVF1000R. Just like the mid-nineties RVF750R—better known as the RC45—this new version will likely be a limited-production, race-oriented machine, positioned well above the CBR1000RR in the firm's range and serving as a new platform for production-based racing. That means not only World Superbike, but also MotoGP, where—beginning in 2012—privateer teams will be able to compete against the factory prototypes using production-based, 1000cc engines mounted in custom frames.

Honda recently renewed its trademark on the RVF nameplate, and newly granted patents have now revealed some of the technology the firm plans to debut with this bike, including details regarding its VFR1200F-derived powerplant. One key difference explicitly referred to in the patent text is a more conventional DOHC cylinder head design in place of the VFR's Unicam arrangement. Whether those cams will be chain- or gear-driven like the RC45 remains unclear: “Rotational power is transmitted in a one-half speed reduction ratio from the crankshaft via a transmission unit to the intake-side and exhaust-side camshafts,” the patent states. “Transmission unit” could be either chain or gears—or a combination of both.

Patent drawings show the bottom end of the engine is basically unchanged, retaining the same unusual, RC212V-inspired cylinder layout with the front connecting rods located outboard of the rear rods on the crankshaft. Another noteworthy change is a new transmission with chain final drive. The VFR cylinder bore is already 81mm—conveniently, the maximum bore dimension allowed by 2012 FIM regulations governing production-based engines. Shortening the VFR’s stroke from 60.0mm to 48.5mm arrives at the 1000cc limit, and creates even more oversquare engine geometry than the quick-revving 80.0x49.7mm BMW S1000RR engine that is currently seen as the favorite for privateer use.

Just as the RVF750R was sold alongside the CBR—at nearly twice the price—the new RVF will be a high-end product aimed at delivering racing success. Honda is certain to continue fielding a pure prototype for its works MotoGP team, but as a firm that prides itself on making the best engines in the world—and the sole engine supplier in Moto2—it is no doubt keen to have privateers choosing its engines for MotoGP use, too. There's little chance any team would opt to use the current CBR engine, which is comprehensively outgunned by the BMW S1000RR and now the Kawasaki ZX-10R. This proposed RVF1000R puts them back in the game.

DemonRider
Wed May 4th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Looks really cool:). Not a fan of the color but that can be changed

tecknojoe
Wed May 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
ew

puckstr
Wed May 4th, 2011, 10:06 PM
BOING :drool:

Love the color, hate the exhaust.

CaneZach
Wed May 4th, 2011, 10:29 PM
BOING :drool:

Love the color, hate the exhaust.

+1. That exhaust looks like :poo:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 4th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I like it a LOT better than the current 1000, except I really do not like single-sided swingarms. Yes, maintenance is easier, but, the swingarm will be heavier for the same strength as a conventional swingarm. the exhaust is something EVERYONE always bitches about, no matter what the bike. Don't like it? Change it. Think you can do better with all the regulations a bike has to pass and the power it must make? Design your own. To most, it's a non-issue.

This was the most interesting bit to me:
"Patent drawings show the bottom end of the engine is basically unchanged, retaining the same unusual, RC212V-inspired cylinder layout with the front connecting rods located outboard of the rear rods on the crankshaft." I'm guessing Honda does this to eliminate the rocking couple a conventional V4 has (making it, in effect, an inline-4 with the middle cyclenders tilted back 90deg), which then leads me to believe it's going to have a high redline. Interesting.

salsashark
Thu May 5th, 2011, 06:47 AM
1. Unfortunately, it's the same photoshopped picture that's been floating around the web for quite some time. I would love to see Honda actually make this bike but until the press is from them, I won't hold my breath.

2. Like Frank said, exhaust can be changed. Personally, I like it. looks a lot like the Multistrada's pipes. Sure looks better than the VFR1200's megaphone exhaust monstrosity...

http://www.cycleworld.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/motorcycle_roadtest/comparison/all/comparison_test_ducati_multistrada_1200_s_sport_vs ._honda_vfr1200f/3397075-1-eng-US/comparison_test_ducati_multistrada_1200_s_sport_vs ._honda_vfr1200f.jpg

longrider
Thu May 5th, 2011, 07:06 AM
My understanding on the cylinder layout was that it was done to make the rear of the engine narrower so the bike feels thinner between the riders legs. Regarding the exhaust, is there a good looking exhaust on any bike today??

salsashark
Thu May 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM
My understanding on the cylinder layout was that it was done to make the rear of the engine narrower so the bike feels thinner between the riders legs. Regarding the exhaust, is there a good looking exhaust on any bike today??

yup...

http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/images/2010/F4/pipe1.jpg

jbnwc
Thu May 5th, 2011, 09:27 AM
and...

http://motomalaya.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2012-mv-agusta-f3-18-640x426.jpg

rybo
Thu May 5th, 2011, 09:28 AM
PAGING DIRK!~

dirkterrell
Thu May 5th, 2011, 09:45 AM
When the new VFR was released, Honda did say that they had a whole family of V4 bikes planned. If there is an ounce of Soichiro's spirit left at Honda, this is the kind of bike I expect to see. And for you naysayers, red, white and blue is the only color scheme appropriate for this bike. :)

puckstr
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
SSA is just SEXY. To put an exhaust over it is just f*cking retarded.
Undertail that exhaust, of left side it.

EXPOSE the SEXY SSAhttp://www.vw-t4.co.uk/UploadImages/MidSize/RC45%20N85%20007.jpg

Looking out the window at my sexy lady..Oh and I DO change exhausts I do not like
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff153/puckstr/2011-05-05_10-00-23_805.jpg

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM
It WOULD make the engine narrower at the back 2 cylinders by the width of a connecting rod, maybe 20mm, but it makes the front cylinders wider by that same amount. To me, that's not really anything but a tradeoff, as it doesn't do anything to reduce the width of the engine between your feet or knees (only mid-shin). From an Engineering standpoint, I'm almost certain Honda is just saying that, but that in truth it is to reduce the rocking couple (google it) allowing for better balance of the rotational and reciprocating forces, allowing for higher revs.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I like the wheels... well the rear at least... can't see the front behind that massive disk... why didn't they just go with a buell style perimeter?

CaneZach
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:12 AM
There are bikes that come from the factory with some good-looking cans, like the MV's. The typical Japanese sportbike doesn't fall in that category. There are some that are tolerable, like just about any undertail exhaust because they're largely hidden, but these huge megaphones and hammer-claws just look like crap. Yes, I've always swapped the exhaust, but it would be nice if I didn't want to.

salsashark
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM
There are bikes that come from the factory with some good-looking cans, like the MV's. The typical Japanese sportbike doesn't fall in that category. There are some that are tolerable, like just about any undertail exhaust because they're largely hidden, but these huge megaphones and hammer-claws just look like crap. Yes, I've always swapped the exhaust, but it would be nice if I didn't want to.

My Strada is the first bike I've owned with a stock exhaust that I didn't want to instantly rip off the bike. Well... now that I think about it there was my Sprint ST, but it was an under tail so it doesn't count.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 5th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I like the wheels... well the rear at least... can't see the front behind that massive disk... why didn't they just go with a buell style perimeter?
Because they don't work as well, which is why even the race Buell's didn't use them either.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Well, to make the expected power levels nowadays, you need lots of muffler volume, especially with twins, it's just physics and acoustics, and the designers do the best they can with those paramaters. Made more difficult because they can't make the muffler need to ever be repacked, it has to be quiet with just baffles and volume. I think, in most cases, they do a pretty good job.