PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

AOK303
Wed May 4th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Im still feeling my bike out which is a stock 1000rr and would like some helpful imput havent ridden in about 10 years and i did take a MSF course but a 200cc bike in a small area is nothing like my bike on the street

1) maybe it just the way i drive a car, i do alot of scca and road rally runs that i take turns i guess aggressively example on a 45mph zone i take it going40 to 45 but on my bike i find my self turning at 20 is that slow

2) starting from from a stop easing off the cluch i feel like im crawling then quickly speeding to make up for it causeing a lil jumpyness when i lay off the throttle and notice i start moving at like 2000rpm

3) yes i read some of the other post but most of them were on 600cc where are most of the 1000cc cruising at in the rpm and gear someone told me to ride in the power band about 7000rpm which means im in 3rd gear on i25 going 75 dosent that just kill the gas mileage

Thanks in advance for the imput hoping i can come to a noob ride and get some pointers i do have about 500 miles on my bike and starting to get in to the flow just rather not have bad habits to break

brennahm
Wed May 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
1) If you're taking a corner that's advised at 45mph at 20...yeah, you need to learn a lot. Don't push it, figure out how to ride. Go to the track. Follow people.

2) You may have a worn out clutch. Or you may not be used to a bike. You can slip a bike clutch a lot more than a car clutch.

3) You seem to be confused on cruising in canyons vs cruising on the slab. Two very different things.

AOK303
Wed May 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM
its not a 45mph turn its more of turning off a street where its 45mph for the i25 to 6th ave west turn i can take it faster then posted

and not use to clutch i think is more the issue for it grabs and goes guess i just dont know where to begin rpm wise to really leave from a stop so i feel like im snail releasing then launching...

tecknojoe
Wed May 4th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I cruise in super low RPMs on powerfull bikes. my r6 i usually stay around 5. I don't need to be in the powerband at all times, there's no reason for it.

Vellos
Wed May 4th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Sounds like you need to use your clutch. How fast are you going in the canyons? If you want to ride 1 on 1 with me and tell me what feels wrong I can explain the basics.

Also taking a 45 mph turn at 40 is not aggressive. Is there a typo?

OUTLAWD
Wed May 4th, 2011, 10:14 PM
FWIW, around town and in the city, I ride like a bitch. I go through intersections slow, because thats where most of the oil/shit sits, plus the roads are normally choppy...

but in the canyons, depending on your comfort level, road conditions, etc.,a general rule of thumb I use is double the "advised" speed of a turn should be no problem on any bike

with a 1000cc...keeping it in the powerband will get you into trouble, often.

Swift
Wed May 4th, 2011, 10:22 PM
1) This is really you just getting comfortable with your bike. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get used to pushing it on the street. Every bike is different so don't push yourself too fast if you aren't ready.

2) Because the bike has a wet clutch, its going to be very different from that of a car. Slip it out slow and steady while keeping the power smooth and you'll start to get used to your bike's engine. Also take into consideration your bike really isn't a low end monster like a twin is so it might take a little more goose off the line than you're used to.

3) I cruise at around 3700rpm at 75 in 6th gear. Then again, my gears and power band are completely different from yours since mine maxes at 120 and is a boxer twin. If your redline is something like 14K or whatever then cruising around town in the sweet spot isn't going to kill your gas mileage. By keeping it in the sweet spot you leave yourself less of a chance of not having the power when some idiot decides to pull a dumbshit near you.

My suggestion is spend a shit load of time going slow in a parking lot on your bike. Slow speed turns, slow speed riding in circles, etc. If you can control your bike at slow speed on a dime then you'll pick up the rest very quickly. Everyone starts in the basement and works their way up the ladder. The ones that try to take short cuts are the ones that get hurt or end up on the news.

AOK303
Thu May 5th, 2011, 12:04 AM
40 in a 45 on a flat 90 turn in traffic is aggressive per correct driving and caution regulations. and i agree i don't deem it i can turn it with my knee but just wanted to point out what Ive been use too car to bike so maybe thats why i feel uneasy.

i will admit i took MSF class didnt miss any on the test, have a week and a half on my 1000rr last time i rode beside my 49cc honda metro was in 01 and i rode for only one season on a duck 749 and dont remember any real issue but i could just be screwed up for everyone one keeps saying respect the 1000 and maybe im over respecting it. i do want to get some rides in with more experiance riders to get some tips and pointers im not afraid to admit im a lil lost on if im over babying it or thats just the way it is

also to point out my bike only has 3000 miles so its only had one service which i was told next it 4000 and its just barley in the outter part of the break in point

and thanks for all the info i spent a cupple hours trying to find old post befor posting this up i too hate over kill posting but didnt really see answers that directly would answer

Vellos
Thu May 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM
40 in a 45 on a flat 90 turn in traffic is aggressive per correct driving and caution regulations.

What does the yellow sign say? 20 or 25? There will never be a turn that sharp in a 45mph zone without a suggested speed warning. If the zone is 45, but turn is suggested 25, then 40 is good, 20 is :turtle:.

500 miles is broken in, you're fine there.

Would you be willing to meet me so you can show me what's going on?

Vellos
Thu May 5th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Wait you're saying the turn is wide enough that it doesn't need a sign in a 45 mph zone, and you do it at 40? But on a bike you're doing it at 20? Are you not the type of person that goes over the speed limit? And your past motorcycle experience was a Honda Metro 10 years ago and how many miles on the Ducati?

OUTLAWD
Thu May 5th, 2011, 09:25 AM
500 miles is broken in, you're fine there.

maybe per the manual, depending on the bike...my triumph felt smoother and faster until the ~15k mark...then it was "broken in"

usmcab35
Thu May 5th, 2011, 09:42 AM
i fucking confused now, i dont know if you are taking a 45 turn at 20 or a 40 turn at 45 aaarrrrhhhh... do what is comfortable for you and you will naturally push is more and more with the more miles you get under your belt. also part of the speed in a turn depends on the line you take into the turn... try and get out on a ride with everyone, you will learn alot pretty quick, imo

AOK303
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Wait you're saying the turn is wide enough that it doesn't need a sign in a 45 mph zone, and you do it at 40? But on a bike you're doing it at 20? Are you not the type of person that goes over the speed limit? And your past motorcycle experience was a Honda Metro 10 years ago and how many miles on the Ducati?

i have only done the run from Morrison to evergreen which is the closet to canyon run rest has been all street riding
I take union and 6 to i25 to park meadows area so i put a good number of miles each ride beside the smaller trips

I meant more of turning off a main street to a side street where no turn lane is there for you, when a sign is there i haven't had any issues
and yeah i would like to meet up with anyone willing to get some better pointers sadly i get one weekend day a month off other wise i have week days off

did about 2000 miles on the duck and 3000 and the Hped had the hped was in 05 and the duck was 01

and its not a 45mph posted Turn in question its what speed turing from a 45mph zone to another street with no turn lane more or less

asp_125
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM
1) 2000miles on a Duc 10 years ago? You're still a noob, on a liter bike. Forget about cornering speed, you go around an intersection at whatever speed YOU feel is comfortable. Trying to push too much too soon is going to lead to bad habits or worse. Work on smooth turns and look through the corners, speed will come.

2) Work on clutch work, sounds like you're not yet familiar with the 1000RR's friction zone. Stopping and starting on an uphill ramp or street is the quickest way to learn smooth clutch control.

3) A liter bike has lots of torque across the rpm range, you don't need to ride it like a 600 or smaller bike and constantly be right in the sweet spot. Just don't be way low or way high in any gear.

Vellos
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Take it easy around town, but you're not going to improve much at cornering if you don't go into the canyons/track.

Send me a PM for when you'd like to meet. I'm sure I can help you understand some of the things you're not feeling comfortable with.

usmcab35
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Take it easy around town, but you're not going to improve much at cornering if you don't go into the canyons/track.

Send me a PM for when you'd like to meet. I'm sure I can help you understand some of the things you're not feeling comfortable with.

come out on sat with all of us????

Vellos
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Uhhh no I wouldn't advise that.

usmcab35
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM

haha i was just kidding....

Vellos
Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:30 AM
haha i was just kidding....

http://www.owlpages.com/the-owls/pictures/orly_owl.jpg

jbnwc
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM
If you really want to learn to ride better do this:

1 - Sell the 1000(preferably before you wreck it) and get a 650 or smaller to learn on and build some confidence.
2 - Don't try to go fast on the streets - go to a track. You'll learn more in one day on the track than years on the street.

UglyDogRacing
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Pick up these and read -

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Basics-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0965045021/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Riding-Pridmore-Way-Reg/dp/1884313469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304615339&sr=1-1

Mother Goose
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:20 AM
1) From what I've read, you're trying to do 45mph turning in an intersection. First, you don't need to be going that fast on a 90 degree turn (example: from north on Sheridan to west on Alameda). That's just stupid, in a car or on a bike. Smooth stuff like north bound I-25 to west bound 6th Ave, sure, have some fun, and be smooth on the throttle. Also, go out to the track, it will get you used to your bike and what it can do. Super Street w/ the MRA is a great way to get some instruction and have some fun on the track.

2) Sounds like you just need o get used to your bike. My R1 isn't hard to get off (giggity) the line, just practice in an empty parking lot until you get the hang of it. Also make sure your clutch cable is adjusted correctly.

3) On a 1000, you don't need to be screaming down I-70 in 3rd gear. People will think you don't know how to shift. On the highway, I'm in 6th gear w/ no problems passing anyone. Hell, even on my commute, I'm in 5th gear in a 35 mph zone (going 40-45). It's annoying to everyone around you if you're screaming at 8-10k and there isn't a need for it if you're just cruising along.

Come out to bike night (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39267) tonight and meet some of us. We're always glad to help out the n00bs. :D

AOK303
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds like I just need to get out and ride with some of you guys to get some pointers I haven't had any trouble stopping or going on hills or lights just feel like I'm slow, turning I know I need some pointers I can't do a ride this week but next Thursday or Friday I'll try to get a ride in with one of you guys

And yes I'm still a noob haha not afraid to admit it

AOK303
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Bike night off 6 n kippling right at hooters

Mother Goose
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Bike night off 6 n kippling right at hooters
:up:

OUTLAWD
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
come out on sat with all of us????

why not? everyone should be riding there own pace anyway...

and aside from that, besides for some dick cage passes and some neurotic riding styles by people in the groups, your rides so far this season have been at rather relaxed paces.:sleeping:

AOK303
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Ten min from my house I should be able to get there

Zach929rr
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Dick cage passes?!? :spit:

What the fuck does that even mean? :lol:

UglyDogRacing
Thu May 5th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Dick cage passes?!? :spit:

What the fuck does that even mean? :lol:

it's something Dave does at that swinger's club he frequents

OUTLAWD
Thu May 5th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Dick cage passes = dickheaded manuveurs whilst passing cages

I apologize you getting you guys all hot and bothered

AOK303
Fri May 6th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Are most of you keeping 2 fingers on the C/B or are you keeping them off unless needed. i have had lots of both imput, i find the muscle to the thumb gets numb if i ride with two on the brake all the time. or is this just something i should do when im in traffic and going through intersections

In the MSF class i was told never to touch the clutch or break unless i am using them.

Vellos
Fri May 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM
In the MSF class i was told never to touch the clutch or break unless i am using them.

:yes:

duelist13
Sun May 8th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Off the track, I always ride with two fingers resting over (not hooked on) the brake lever. This saved me today when a car, hidden from view until the last second, almost took me out at an intersection. It was so surprising, I stalled the bike and my feet came off the pegs. I know some people think the knee-jerk reaction will be to yank the brake during panic situations, but the truth is that you practice and do what's appropriate for your riding environment. Let me know if I'm wrong :)

Ted
Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM
why not? everyone should be riding there own pace anyway...

and aside from that, besides for some dick cage passes and some neurotic riding styles by people in the groups, your rides so far this season have been at rather relaxed paces.:sleeping:

Dick cage passes... I hate those.....

AOK.... ride your pace, and even those who do the dcp will wait for you some place ahead.

Mother Goose
Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Off the track, I always ride with two fingers resting over (not hooked on) the brake lever. This saved me today when a car, hidden from view until the last second, almost took me out at an intersection. It was so surprising, I stalled the bike and my feet came off the pegs. I know some people think the knee-jerk reaction will be to yank the brake during panic situations, but the truth is that you practice and do what's appropriate for your riding environment. Let me know if I'm wrong :)
I do the same thing. MSF teaches you not to, but covering the brake and clutch has saved me a few times. Reaction time is quicker if you already have the fingers in position. I cover with 1 finger on the brake, and 2 on the clutch.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:57 AM
i cover the brake when riding in traffic, but I only use one finger...

asp_125
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I cover the brake and clutch in high traffic situations, like on die-25 at rush hour, or if riding past playgrounds where kids or balls might shoot into traffic without warning.

.. not that I ride past playgrounds .. no not in that way.

MetaLord 9
Mon May 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I'll usually cover brake & clutch just in case. A lot of it is mental. Knowing that I'm covered helps me react a little smoother in a panic situation than if I've gotta find the clutch & brake while focusing on the situation

AOK303
Mon May 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM
do you guys ride that way even on open high way or is this more of your daily commute in traffic

Mother Goose
Mon May 9th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Personally, I ride like that everywhere except on the track.

Swift
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
It's really personal preference but it is better to keep some fingers over the levers just in case the obvious retard pulls a derp in front of you.

Davy4575
Tue May 10th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Shit, Im still confused about the whole 40, 45, 20 90 degree turn thing. If youre taking a standard intersection at 40mph Id have your head checked. Most of the time the tires arnt going to be warm enough to offer any decent grip anyway. I baby my R1 around town (Except for occasional bouts of severe right wrist rotational syndrome), but keep those very short. Always cover the levers with one or two digits, comes from riding old two-smokes that were prone to blowing up. I keep em covered on the track except when im off the bike enough that I can reach it comfortably.

usmcab35
Tue May 10th, 2011, 08:42 AM
i dont cover my levers but it would be nice when some asshat slams on his brakes for no reason.. either cover them or be quick to grab them.. all personal preference

Madrover
Mon May 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Vellos,

I'll take you up on that, if you're still offering. I just bought an SV1000 after a 10year riding hiatus. I have ridden anything from Harley's to sports bikes, but the SV is a whole different monster. Sometimes, letting go of the throttle feels like I pulled a chute, making cornering/braking a challenge at times. And while I know that throttle control is key, getting input from an experienced rider would be invaluable for someone like me. I've tried empty parking lots, but sometimes I fell like I'm just :banghead:

Mike

AOK303
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Vellos, yeah i want to get some runs in. Maybe we can get a small noob cruise with madrover and have ya give us tips i have some offers from some other riders just trying to get a good time, but with my work and the weather it hasn't happen yet but i do appreciate all invitations to help, and hopefully ill be able to get some rides in with a lot of you soon

and on another note, i normally leave my foot under the shifter, but was now told to rock back to put the ball of the foot on the peg if not shifting. Is that right? msf didn't go over that now that i think about it. so the peg is under my Arch if that makes sense

OUTLAWD
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
man...it seems like only yesterday I was trying to help georgie boy out, and now he is the resident expert...they just grow up so fast sometimes ;)

Ted
Tue May 24th, 2011, 12:44 AM
^lol, I volunteer you to sweep the ride :up:

Drunktank
Tue May 24th, 2011, 06:55 AM
^lol, I volunteer you to sweep the ride :up:

Boulder to Nederland???? :idea: :p

Ted
Tue May 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
^ Hey, Get off ma damn lawn. :doublefinger: :horse: I love that road. Its very very close to home.

jbnwc
Tue May 24th, 2011, 11:51 AM
and on another note, i normally leave my foot under the shifter, but was now told to rock back to put the ball of the foot on the peg if not shifting. Is that right? msf didn't go over that now that i think about it. so the peg is under my Arch if that makes sense

Nothing against MSF, but MSF doesn't go over most of what you will eventually learn. They give you the basics to get you legal, but that's about it. Some of what they teach is actually wrong if you ride a sportbike(IMO).

Darth Do'Urden
Tue May 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM

Add Lyons into that =).The weekend is supposed to be nice...and I have Friday thru Monday off work.... Would LOVE to get up north a bit and ride on 7 and 36 again. Had a blast with Outlawd several weeks back.

OUTLAWD
Tue May 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I think I am exploring south this weekend, otherwise I'd totally be down to blast around with ya up here...finally starting to knock some of the cobwebs off

Madrover
Fri May 27th, 2011, 09:13 PM

So, are we doing this? When and where are we meeting??

Vellos
Sat May 28th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Oh god Boulder to Nederland is a death trap. Will never understand why Ted likes that road when Lee Hill/Lefthand are right there too.

Madrover you can send me a PM. Let me know what you're comfortable doing (interstate traffic?) or what you're not comfortable doing (slow turns?).