PDA

View Full Version : And ideas for a student?

bvnguyen516
Fri May 6th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Slowly working on a double major at UCD (business finance and psychology). Worked at Best Buy in high school and stayed with them for about 4 years before I went into corporate 401k. Although my job is very secure and pays enough to cover my bills and lifestyle, I'm unhappy.

I want to work at a tuning shop but I have no mechanical experience!

brennahm
Fri May 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Better just go worm your way in. Hang out and be annoying enough for them to hire you. Prepare for large tool costs and NOT having enough money to cover your bills.

Zach929rr
Fri May 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Prepare for large tool costs and NOT having enough money to cover your bills.

That just about sums it up right there.

Wrider
Fri May 6th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Better just go worm your way in. Hang out and be annoying enough for them to hire you. Prepare for large tool costs and NOT having enough money to cover your bills.
+1

MetaLord 9
Fri May 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Buy the tools with your current job and make your hobby buying & working on bikes. You'll be happier to come home and it'll give you more experience and connections as you rebuild & sell bikes.

You can find plenty of cheap ass bikes on craigslist that need work. Buy one that doesn't have hard to find parts (read: don't buy a KTM or Husqvarna), download a service manual and go to town. Keep an eye out for tool specials (the 130 piece mechanic's set, a set of T-Handles, and a rubber mallet from Sears will get you through 90% of the work on a bike) and keep an eye out for tech days.

Look for how-to videos on youtube. If you get stuck, post up on here and you'll hear 400 different ways to do something, 325 of the credible and reliable.

My advice on buying cheap bikes on craigslist is make sure they've got a legit title. Otherwise you'll spend more time jumping through DMV hoops than you will actually working on the bike.

salsashark
Fri May 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Keep an eye out for tool specials (the 130 piece mechanic's set, a set of T-Handles, and a rubber mallet from Sears will get you through 90% of the work on a bike)

This'll take care of the other 10...

http://www.stayfitbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/sledgehammer.jpg

actually this reminds me... I need a new set of T-Handles... :lol:

TurboGizzmo
Fri May 6th, 2011, 01:47 PM

++1

I mopped the shop floor and put away tools after i got off my real job back in the day and helped out on saturday's...i officially now have shop experience just never really got into it.

bornwildnfree
Fri May 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Don't forget beer and donuts.