PDA

View Full Version : Jason Pridmore's STAR School and Dunlop Q2's

Clarkie
Fri May 6th, 2011, 11:12 PM
About a month ago I decided I wanted to get back on the track again, not to race but just to see if I 'could' go around the track and find my rhythm again. I have been riding dirt bikes and street bikes a bunch so I was pretty sure it wouldn't be an issue, but I was still pretty nervous. I went to a STAR school as my girlfriend Lisa's "pit bitch" late last year which was cool, it was just good to be back at the track surrounded by the bikes, speed and noise you can only experience at the track. I have known Jason Pridmore for about 10 years now, more of a brief racing acquaintance and then a fan watching him race not only in the AMA series, but also keeping up with his World Endurance results. I sat in on most of the classroom sessions during Lisa's sessions and I was very impressed with not only his knowledge, but the way he explained it so all it made sense.

I decided 'if' I was going to get back on track, it was going to be in a controlled setting like at one of the STAR Schools. They not only have great classroom sessions, but their instructors that are out on track with you are awesome, giving every student some one on one attention. I had bought a CBR600RR as sort of a project bike I have been working on, a 'street' bike not a 'race' bike. I wanted to make sure I had a decent set of tires on the bike, the Dunlop Sportmax tires on the bike where still in great condition but I wanted something a little newer as they were over 4 years old, and for my first time back I wanted to make sure I had good rubber.

I raced for years of DOT Race tires so I had a good idea of what was possible with a DOT tire but I didn't want a 'race' tire as I would be doing 95% of my riding on the street. I had heard great things about the new Dunlop Q2 tires which again were a 'street' tire and not a 'race' tire, I though why the heck not try them as I knew I would be keeping the pace down for my first time back on the track. I know I keep going about how they are a street tire not a race tire, but I was really impressed at how far tire technology has come even in the last couple of years. Jim Cox here in Vegas is the local Dunlop race tire vendor and I have known Jim for over 10 years. He had a set of used Q2's and hooked me up with the tires which was awesome, had a bike, had great tires, game on!

We turned up to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in Southern California and I was pretty nervous. I knew I could still ride a bike pretty well, I just wasn't sure about being on a track again after my big accident at the end of 2008. After 2 1/2 years away from the track I wasn't sure if I even could, let alone alone should, go out on the track again. We got signed up and went through Tech inspection with our bikes and gear, then had our first classroom session. Now the STAR School isn't a normal trackday, sure there are two groups on track with both the Street Group and the Race Group which a lot of trackdays have, but in-between each 20 minute track session they have classroom time with Jason going over each session, giving us tasks to work on for the next on track session and answering any questions you might have. Jason has not only raced and won at the top level here in the USA and overseas, he has also worked with Nicky Hayden, Ben Spies and Josh Hayes when they were younger and starting off, so yeah, he knows his stuff.

I was in the Street group as I wanted to go over everything from the start as he teaches a lot of fundamentals that over time become second nature, the problem is we all develop bad habits and it becomes hard to change them. My nervousness had subsided and while I was pretty excited to get on track, I was still pretty cautious. The first session was basically just learning the track as while a lot of people had ridden CVR before, there were a few of us who hadn't and it was a very technical track which is why a lot of the AMA Team's test there. While I was a little tense during the first session it was good to finally get out there again, ok it was awesome to get out there again. The next couple of sessions got better and better as I relaxed more, and got a few pointers from the STAR instructors who would pull you off track and give you advise on things you needed to work on.
The tires felt awesome, in fact I hadn't really thought about them until after lunch. I ask the STAR crew what pressure they ran their Q2's at on the track and I was told 31 PSI for the front and 30 PSI on the rear. All of the Suzuki GSXR's the STAR school use these tires and the bike are track only bikes, that says a lot about how good the tires are when they are on the instructor bikes. I started to relax, limber up my broken body, and then they changed the direction of the track we rode and I had to learn a 'new' track all over again, damnit LOL. CVR was built so it could be run either direction, has a lot of runoff, cool elevation, and most importantly NO WALLS!

Day 2 arrived and I was pumped, I had enjoyed the first day a heck of a lot and while my nervousness had gone I still wanted to get things to flow more, find the rhythm I missed so much. You know, when corners link easily and everything just seems to flow and come easy. We went out in the counterclockwise direction we had finished the first day on, there was one section I was struggling a little in, but it was ok and I just planned on getting the rest of the track right and just getting through the tough section. I was much more relaxed on day 2 and things really came together, the bike felt more like 'home' to me which was awesome. We rode 5 sessions the second day and the last session I sort of put my head down a little to see how it felt. Together with the classroom sessions and advice from the STAR instructors, things where clicking very well, heck they were awesome and to be honest I had gotten to the point in my riding a confidence I could have lined up on a grid for a race without a second thought. Don't get me wrong, I wont, I was going to retire for a reason and that reason hasn't changed, but I had found what I really wanted to find at the track doing the STAR School. My Rhythm and confidence.

It was 106'F around 3pm on the second day and I was done, happy, and tired. I had smiled more in the last 2 days than I did for the last two years I raced, I enjoyed the heck out of riding on the track and that is really what it is supposed to be about. I rode for two days on a set of used Q2 street tires and never felt them move even in the 106' outside air temperatures, not only was I impressed, I was honestly blown away as they were as good, if not better than some of the DOT Race tires I had used in the past. Even better is that they are a pretty cheap tires and you can buy them over the counter at a local motorcycle shop like Fay Myers.

As far as the STAR School goes, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are, a street only rider, a new track rider or have been racing for years, if you don't get a lot out of attending a STAR School you have your head somewhere it shouldn't be. I am definitely going to attend more of the STAR Schools, there is this little track out in Colorado called High Plains Raceway that people say are pretty good I really want to ride, the STAR School just happens to be there August 15th and 16th so I might have to make the drive over the hill. You also might get the chance to ride with people like Greg White, Steve Rapp, or Josh Hayes and well as Jason Pridmore which is awesome.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/Clarkie49/cvr2.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/Clarkie49/CVR1-1.jpg

dirkterrell
Sat May 7th, 2011, 09:58 PM
As far as the STAR School goes, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are, a street only rider, a new track rider or have been racing for years, if you don't get a lot out of attending a STAR School you have your head somewhere it shouldn't be.

That is the honest truth. Jason is one of those guys who can analyze what you're doing end explain very clearly what you need to do to improve. The two days I did at his school at HPR was the best money I ever spent on riding. Highly recommended to riders of all skill levels.

GuitarX
Sat May 7th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks for this great writeup. I took CLASS years ago with Reg Pridmore back when Jason was an instructor and it literally changed my entire "motorcycle life". I didn't realize STAR was coming to HPR, that is very exciting news. It's great to know that you're healthy enough to be riding again, and to be on the track.

Clarkie
Sun May 8th, 2011, 01:10 AM
That is the honest truth. Jason is one of those guys who can analyze what you're doing end explain very clearly what you need to do to improve. The two days I did at his school at HPR was the best money I ever spent on riding. Highly recommended to riders of all skill levels.

My second day doing the STAR School was part of the National Guard School, the curriculum was based more around street ridering with some crossover to the track as there were quite a few riders who had never been on a track before. Things you learn at the track in a controlled enviroment croos over directly to riding on the street, RPM management being one of the big ones.

dirkterrell
Sun May 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Things you learn at the track in a controlled enviroment croos over directly to riding on the street, RPM management being one of the big ones.

The RPM management concept was one of those "light bulb" moments at the class for me. I went into the class wanting to improve my corner entries. The very first time I did what he said to do going into turn 4 at HPR, I was thinking "Wow! That worked amazingly well!" When they had us standing at that corner watching as he took the turn, I had to really strain to hear him shifting gears. I'm still not sure I really could hear it when he downshifted.

The other big thing for me was getting myself to carry more speed into the corner and braking later. Before the class, I was taking the "cojones" approach, that is, consciously push beyond the survival instinct and brake deeper. It was NOT working. Jason gave me a more cerebral approach. Rather than carrying the same speed and trying to go deeper, he said to go in slower but to a deeper braking marker. Do that over and over, slightly increasing your speed. That way you get your brain used to seeing that marker and you build up your confidence comfortably rather than trying to fight the "I'm going to die if I brake any deeper." response. It did wonders for me. By the end of the second day, my corner entries were better than I had even thought possible.

I definitely recommend doing the two day class. At the end of the first day, I was pretty depressed. I took his advice to heart and slowed down, working on getting the techniques right. But I was going slower than my usual slow self. I was even debating going back the second day. But I did and continued to work on the techniques in the morning (and I had a lot to work on!!) telling myself that at the end of the day, I would ratchet up the speed using the new techniques. I'm telling you, I had a couple of nirvana laps at the end of the day. I was turning laps faster than I ever had, and the great thing was that I was doing so being as comfortable as I had ever been on that track. I didn't really feel like I was working, it was just flowing.

Yesterday I did a sprint race for the first time in a year and a half (took last year off to rehab a bad foot). I made a late decision to race this year and only had about 3 weeks of conditioning, but even so, it had that same flowing, confident feel as I consciously did the things that I learned in Jason's class. I set a personal best by a considerable margin, and if you had told me Friday night that I would do that, I would have laughed.

One thing that really stands out to me about Jason is his ability to analyze your riding and then communicate to you the things you need to do to improve. That is a rare talent in my experience. Often the greatest athletes in a field don't make very good coaches. They are good but often it's a natural talent thing that they can't explain. The athletes that make the best coaches are most often the ones that had to develop a true understanding of their sport to push them farther than their natural talent would carry them. Jason is one of those very rare people who has both talent and that analytical approach to riding, and the list of his students running at the top attests to that.

I don't care what level you are at, if you want to improve your riding, go to the STAR school. It is not a "race" school specifically. As Clarkie said, there are sessions for street and track riders. I have been riding on the street since 1983 and I can tell you that the very best things you can to do maximize your chances of avoiding bad situations are (a) learning to recognize them as they are developing and (b) knowing how to make the motorcycle do what you need it to do in a sticky situation. Modern bikes and modern tires can do incredible things if you know what you're doing. Taking Jason's class is a great way to get that knowledge.

Dirk

Clarkie
Sun May 8th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I couldn't agree more Dirk, roads, canyons or on the track everyone can learn so much from the STAR School. Even simple things like the position of your head and where you look (how far down the road/track) can make a huge difference to your riding.

The way he explains how helpful it is to slow down 10mph going into a corner (like before you even start the braking, more an apporach speed) so it changes what you see when you enter a corner, then when you speed back up everything looks easier. Just one of those habbit things I think, he will teach that if you do something over and over again it is hard to change it until you slow down, look at things differently, then try it again.

Everything he teaches transers directly to the roads which is cool, blind corners in the canyons, double yellow lines, rocks or gravel on the roads, he goes over it all and shows how it does. I raced for 10 years and now that I ride 95% of the time on the street, I am pretty stoked I did his School and everything he explains about riding twisties, and more importantly the way he explains it is awesome.

spdu4ia
Sun May 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
so where can we get info on signing up for the class? Requirements? pricing? dates? I'm very interested and i'm sure my wife would love to take it as well!

ndnbennyb
Sun May 8th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Indeed. Where can this information be found?

Clarkie
Sun May 8th, 2011, 12:23 PM
This is the website we used to sign up is www.starmotorcycle.com (http://www.starmotorcycle.com) The one day course is $350 and the 2 day course is $650, it may seem like a lot (I am bad at spending my own money so I dont spend other people's money LOL) but you will get so much out of the course if you go into it wanting to learn. I was actually surprised by the different levels of riders there, sure there were the race guys who wanted to get faster, but most of the people at the School I went to just wanted to ride better or smoother.

Remember even though Jason and a few of his intructors race, it isnt a 'race school' which is awesome. You wont only get to go to an awesome course, you will also get to ride at HPR which will be sweet! You will get so much track time it is crazy, heck I didnt do the last session the first day and the last two sessions the second day as I was exhausted.

They also do a track walk/drive where you jump in pickup trucks and go to different sections of the track and he will explain where you should be looking when you enter and exit the corner. It is a very interactive course as they take time to answer any questions anyone has which is cool. They also take you out with Jason and their other instructors doing laps so you can be standing in a corner and watch the ride through it.

Oh yeah, Jason gives 2-up rides as well on a GSXR1000 with handles on the tank to hold onto which is awesome! You dont even feel him shifting which is crazy, he is so smooth changing gears and braking it shows you what you can do yourself.

GuitarX
Sun May 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Actually, STAR is a downright bargain compared to the prices charged by Keith Code, Yamaha Champions School, etc. on down the line. $650 for 2 days at HPR with someone like Pridmore is a steal.

Clarkie
Sun May 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM
That's how I look at it as well, you can just do a ton of laps, or do them correctly with coaching and support

dirkterrell
Sun May 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Actually, STAR is a downright bargain compared to the prices charged by Keith Code, Yamaha Champions School, etc. on down the line. $650 for 2 days at HPR with someone like Pridmore is a steal.

Agreed. I can't think of any way of spending $650 that will give you as much in return to make you a better rider.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
if you are considering the school, I'd recommend ponying up for both days...I could only afford one day, and while just one day definitley improved some aspects of my riding, I think I could have taken alot more away from the techniques cover on day 2, building upon what was covered the first day

Mother Goose
Mon May 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Apart from the school, which I hope to take one day, congrats to Clarkie on getting back on the track! It's good to see! :applause: When you head back to Colorado, I'd love to ride with you some time.

UglyDogRacing
Mon May 9th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Agreed. I can't think of any way of spending $650 that will give you as much in return to make you a better rider.

And since it's $150 day to ride HPR, you're basically paying $350 for the Star school. :up:

Clarkie
Mon May 9th, 2011, 02:21 PM
And since it's $150 day to ride HPR, you're basically paying $350 for the Star school. :up:

Wow that's awesome!

Clarkie
Mon May 9th, 2011, 04:27 PM
A few pics of the 2 day STAR School.
The shot of me in the Red leathers was early on day one, the Gray leathers were day two. I am way more relaxed on the 2nd day thanks to the training, instruction and input I got from the STAR School intructors 8)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/Clarkie49/IMGX5994.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/Clarkie49/IMGX8173.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/Clarkie49/IMGX7467.jpg

dirkterrell
Mon May 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Awesome to see you back out there, Clarkie.

Clarkie
Tue May 10th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks! Good be back on a track having fun again, has been FAR too long