PDA

View Full Version : Beginer Bike

ndnbennyb
Sat May 7th, 2011, 07:55 AM
So my wife keeps hounding me about getting her a bike. She really wants a CBR600RR. I don't know what to get her. She hasn't really ridden very much at all. Her motorcycle expierence is the MSF Basic Course and about 5 days on my old Honda. When I would take her out riding with me, she used to scare the hell out of me when she would shift. Especially coming out of first into second. She would just about peg out the throttle trying to get it into gear when shifting. I think she really wants another Honda because I gave her my last one. We ended up selling it, but thats another story. I guess my question for you all is, do I find her another 600 or what? I have never ridden any of those SV or FZ style bikes. She has already told me that she doesn't want to get a 250 because of ego and image. :? . I think that she would be ok with another 600 but needs to learn throttle control and take it easy until she is really comfortable. With all of you guys' expierence and sarcasm, I would like to know what you recommend. Thanks.

spdu4ia
Sat May 7th, 2011, 07:58 AM
suz SV or a kawi er6n or 650r , yam yzf all good choices for a first bike. Just bought my wife the ER6n in oct and she LOVES it. She wouldn't ride a 250 either :)

Also look into the gladius

Tylar
Sat May 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
My wife has been riding 600cc GSXRs since before and after her MSF and has zero interest in anything else, motor or manufacturer. I think your wife's height and inseam may also dictate what she can flat-foot at a stop and feels comfortable on...sitting on some used bikes at your local dealers may help her gain some perspective. The SV suggestion above is a popular first-timer.

If she's already a Honda fan and anything other than a Honda will only be ultimately replaced with a 600rr, then it may be financially sound to just get her a used 600rr as a learner. Then again, trying something different may not be the worst idea in the world either. Depends on what you find and your "flexibility" to deal with potential damage from setting it over as she figures out throttle/clutch/you name it. But if ye were me, I'd likely save more by just cutting the bull and getting her what she wants....rather than listening to the "it's not a ____" all season long.

Good luck! :w00t:

spdu4ia
Sat May 7th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I think he is wanting something a little "tammer" for her go hand

Tylar
Sat May 7th, 2011, 08:26 AM
No doubt, just sharing what I had experienced.

Vellos
Sat May 7th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Get her a Can-am so she can make you sandwiches on your rides. ;)

Maybe look into a CBR with ABS, she knows what she wants. :dunno:

ndnbennyb
Sat May 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys. And you said it, do I really want to hear her all season saying, I wish this was a Honda? I think I'll look into a used CBR. Last thing I want to do is have her lay down a brand new CBR with ABS. She can learn on an older one, then buy a new one and turn the old one into a track bike.

spdu4ia
Sat May 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
There you go. I know my wife was set on a ducati monster and i got her the kawi to learn on ... 350 miles on it and we are looking to trade it in on guess what haha.

but knowing that I would still have done it. learning on something smaller is never a bad idea

mathman1000
Sat May 7th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Let her get what she wants. My wife rides a 2008 cbr600rr graffiti edition and has never looked back or second guessed that choice. Light, quick, and the electronic steering damper makes that bike feel REALLY solid at speed. Granted; she's owned about 8-10 bikes prior to this, but this one is by far the best fitting bike she's ever had (so she says). And, when she started riding at the track with me she already had the perfect bike for it.

Let her make the decision since it's going to be her bike.....IMO. It's not like she wants a Hyuabusa, giant touring bike, or a 10,000lb Hardly.

ndnbennyb
Sat May 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM
^^ very true.

cdbouncer
Sat May 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I say get her what she wants....then remind her of that if she changes her mind. My first ride was an old cbr600 and my second was a brand new sv650. If she has trouble with throttle control the sv might not be a great choice (power commander and programming aside). I'm a big advocate of riding what you want to ride...ego, image and all that stuff aside ...if she likes her bike she will want to ride it more and seat time is what will help her figure out what she wants to ride long term. I have trouble standing over a 600rr so that might be a consideration.

DeeStylez
Sat May 7th, 2011, 11:00 AM
So my wife keeps hounding me about getting her a bike. She really wants a CBR600RR. I don't know what to get her. She hasn't really ridden very much at all. Her motorcycle expierence is the MSF Basic Course and about 5 days on my old Honda. When I would take her out riding with me, she used to scare the hell out of me when she would shift. Especially coming out of first into second. She would just about peg out the throttle trying to get it into gear when shifting. I think she really wants another Honda because I gave her my last one. We ended up selling it, but thats another story. I guess my question for you all is, do I find her another 600 or what? I have never ridden any of those SV or FZ style bikes. She has already told me that she doesn't want to get a 250 because of ego and image. :? . I think that she would be ok with another 600 but needs to learn throttle control and take it easy until she is really comfortable. With all of you guys' expierence and sarcasm, I would like to know what you recommend. Thanks.

Thats exactly why I told my wife to stick with the ninja 250, she is happy with it for the most part. She struggles with the clutch and Im right there with you Im scared as hell of her riding ability. lol

spdu4ia
Sat May 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM
my wife would have killed me if I got her a 250. I'm not scared of my wifes riding ability (she impresses me acctually). I'm scared of other people , like somehow me being with her would change that. As long as she is comfortable on it then she'll want to ride it and enjoy it.

ndnbennyb
Sat May 7th, 2011, 11:57 AM
^^ agreed. I think she'll kill me if I get her a 250. I'm just gonna have to see how she does on a 600. Now just finding one for what we can afford will be the next step.

bornwildnfree
Sun May 8th, 2011, 06:30 AM
From a woman who had an SV650 for two years, they are nose heavy and really hard for a n00b female to ride. My best advice, let her get what she wants and GET THE SUSPENSION TUNED FOR HER, no matter what she gets. Sportbikes are built for 150lb skinny guys, not for boobies so it presents a different challenge for us. I spent two miserable years on the SV because of bad suspension and I don't want anyone to go through that. Dave Rose @ STM Suspension in Ft Collins is worth the trip and he will set her suspension for her, not give you a "well this is standard" solution. Also remember, if you are having it lowered, lower it the same front and rear and more than 2" will seriously mess with the handling of the bike. There are other options if she needs more than 2" such as putting spacers in the springs and shaving the seat. Dave will be able give her all her options and get the bike set up. He is very reasonable and has literally changed my riding experience. I also recommend that you have her go on group rides instead of trying to teach her to canyon yourself. Have more experienced riders who are not emotionally invested in her teach her. Less arguments that way. I'd be happy to take her on some practice runs around town since there is a nice open road by my house that has little traffic, has awesome curves and is great for practice. Remember, she will not ride like you and what works for you may not work for her. Our center of gravity is different and when we get scared, we tense our shoulders driving all the top weight forward (men tense their lower back driving weight over the rear tire). This is esp important going down hill as all the weight goes over the nose of the bike and off that rear tire. If the suspension is not set up properly, she will have a miserable experience and may stop riding. It's also amazing how much the canyons cool your throttle control as well as listening to stories of other people going down. Oh, and if she clutches hard and burns out the clutch, make her replace it herself. She won't keep doing it because replacing a clutch is a pain and she'll be out of a ride for a while.

ndnbennyb
Sun May 8th, 2011, 08:16 AM
From a woman who had an SV650 for two years, they are nose heavy and really hard for a n00b female to ride. My best advice, let her get what she wants and GET THE SUSPENSION TUNED FOR HER, no matter what she gets. Sportbikes are built for 150lb skinny guys, not for boobies so it presents a different challenge for us. I spent two miserable years on the SV because of bad suspension and I don't want anyone to go through that. Dave Rose @ STM Suspension in Ft Collins is worth the trip and he will set her suspension for her, not give you a "well this is standard" solution. Also remember, if you are having it lowered, lower it the same front and rear and more than 2" will seriously mess with the handling of the bike. There are other options if she needs more than 2" such as putting spacers in the springs and shaving the seat. Dave will be able give her all her options and get the bike set up. He is very reasonable and has literally changed my riding experience. I also recommend that you have her go on group rides instead of trying to teach her to canyon yourself. Have more experienced riders who are not emotionally invested in her teach her. Less arguments that way. I'd be happy to take her on some practice runs around town since there is a nice open road by my house that has little traffic, has awesome curves and is great for practice. Remember, she will not ride like you and what works for you may not work for her. Our center of gravity is different and when we get scared, we tense our shoulders driving all the top weight forward (men tense their lower back driving weight over the rear tire). This is esp important going down hill as all the weight goes over the nose of the bike and off that rear tire. If the suspension is not set up properly, she will have a miserable experience and may stop riding. It's also amazing how much the canyons cool your throttle control as well as listening to stories of other people going down. Oh, and if she clutches hard and burns out the clutch, make her replace it herself. She won't keep doing it because replacing a clutch is a pain and she'll be out of a ride for a while.

Thanks. Once I find her a bike, I'll deffinately send her your way. You might be able to meet her on the noob ride if we can find a baby sitter. We still only have one bike so she'll be on the back of mine.

Vellos
Sun May 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Sportbikes are built for 150lb skinny guys

:hibye:

bornwildnfree
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:46 AM
^ ..|.
Eat a sandwich Vellos ;-)

bornwildnfree
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks. Once I find her a bike, I'll deffinately send her your way. You might be able to meet her on the noob ride if we can find a baby sitter. We still only have one bike so she'll be on the back of mine.

Eh, just give the kids Bennadryl and put them in a closet...they'll be fine.

*Just kidding, hope to meet her out there LOL.

Swift
Mon May 9th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Get her a busa.

Best n00b bike? I would say an F4i actually.
Talk about an easy sportbike to learn on, not to mention a less strenuous riding position than most supersports. The 600rr is a very balanced and poised ride. I'd say its probably the smoothest in its class, but its still the same aggressive riding position as the others.

MetaLord 9
Mon May 9th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Here's what I read:
my wife keeps hounding me about getting her a bike....She hasn't really ridden very much at all...she doesn't want to get a 250 because of ego and image. :? ...needs to learn throttle control and take it easy until she is really comfortable...I would like to know what you recommend.
I recommend she get over herself and learn on a smaller bike.

If she's discounting it because she doesn't like the look, image, whatever, then she's already not thinking about it the right way. Learn to ride a motorcycle. Then get a bigger motorcycle. Remember that 250's hold their value moreso than probably any other bike. Buy it used, sell it for the same price (sometimes more), buy the bike she's ready for.

Here's the problem almost all beginning riders have, they don't understand these three principles:
engine size does not equal horsepower
more horsepower does not equal better
a bigger bike doesn't make you faster.

Bueller
Mon May 9th, 2011, 07:52 AM
She has already told me that she doesn't want to get a 250 because of ego and image. :?

:lol:

Funny thing is most people don't even realize the new gen ninjettes are 250's. And for sure only ra-tards ride them. :D

asp_125
Mon May 9th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Nah, 250's are not for noobs, they are for racers. :up: Anyone would be hard pressed to say the Ninjettes are slow or have the wrong image after seeing the 250 production cup.

She should look at the new Honda CBR 250R... there was a new one at HPR in the pits. :hump:

If she has problems with clutch and throttle control and pegging it in 1st, she should definitely NOT get a supersport as a first bike. Even the SV with it's torquey twin, she'll end up flipping it. GS500F, FZ6R, Ninja 500 would be my max recommendation.

dirkterrell
Mon May 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM
She has already told me that she doesn't want to get a 250 because of ego and image. :? .

May I humbly suggest that she reconsider this sort of thinking for a variety of reasons. The main one is that this kind of mindset takes you down the wrong path when it comes to staying alive on a bike. If you're worried about what other people think of your bike, you'll worry about what they think of your riding. And when you start making riding decisions based on those sorts of things rather than your skill level, you'll quickly find yourself in a situation that can turn tragic in an instant.

In my view, the very best thing a new rider can do is start off on a lower powered bike and hone those riding skills. Having lots of power can lead you to think that you are better than you really are. I really don't like to sound preachy, but I've been riding on the street for the better part of 30 years and I have seen the above situation played out more times than I care to count. Ditch the ego and become a lifelong participant in a great hobby.

Have her come out to the MRA races and watch what the guys are doing on 250s. But Bueller is right. The 250s are for retards, which is probably why I want one so bad. :D

Dirk

Bueller
Mon May 9th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Have her come out to the MRA races and watch what the guys are doing on 250s.
Dirk

Geoff Cesmat turned a 2:11 Sunday :shock:

Get one Dirk, you know you want it!

asp_125
Mon May 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Jeff Cesmat turned a 2:11 Sunday :shock:

Get one Dirk, you know you want it!

Fuuuuu...... :shock:
Just goes to show it's the rider not the bike.

Benny I would recommend she take MSF again. If she aces it, then a lower end 600 might be ok, if she has issues with controls then she's better off on a 250.

dirkterrell
Mon May 9th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Jeff Cesmat turned a 2:11 Sunday :shock:

Holy shit!!! I'll be happy if I'm turning that on the 750 by the end of the season. I'm keeping my eye out for one. It would do wonders for my riding.

Bueller
Mon May 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM
They are so light and easy to ride they allow you much more time in the seat before they start to take their toll physically. I definitely go home sore but not like fighting weight of the big bikes.

/threadjak

bornwildnfree
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Other than taking the MSF course, how many of us had a 250 for a while other than Spooph? How many of us would be pissed because someone told us what to ride and didn't let us decide for ourselves? Yes, you can rail on the track on a Ninja 250 and you can even rail on the street, but for street riding, you need that extra power to accelerate away from bad situations. Ask Spooph how happy he is with his 250. He loves it but wants a bigger bike for street. I understand ndnbennyb (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=6710)'s concerns, but it's his wife, not his 16 yr old kid. I don't think my mom should have a bigger bike, but I won't say anything to her about it because it's not my life. She may have said " because of ego and image" because she was pissed because he was telling her she's not good enough to start out on a 600 and he wants her on a 250. Most of us have started out on 600s or 650s and have been just fine. If this was your buddy, who was a guy, would you tell him the same thing? I'm pretty sure not because I've read those threads and everyone always says go for the 600, but as soon as he says his wife, ya'll are all like yea, the 250, she doesn't need the power of a 600 yet. It takes a hell of a lot of balls to get on a sportbike and instead of being sexist jackass's you guys should be supporting her decisions and if she wants a 600 for fucks sake, let her have one and tell her props.

Bueller
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Of course get what she wants, and if she chooses to ride without a helmet I support her right to do that also, but to not want a bike for reasons of vanity is also a poor choice.

Ricky
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM
May I humbly suggest that she reconsider this sort of thinking for a variety of reasons. The main one is that this kind of mindset takes you down the wrong path when it comes to staying alive on a bike. If you're worried about what other people think of your bike, you'll worry about what they think of your riding. And when you start making riding decisions based on those sorts of things rather than your skill level, you'll quickly find yourself in a situation that can turn tragic in an instant.

In my view, the very best thing a new rider can do is start off on a lower powered bike and hone those riding skills. Having lots of power can lead you to think that you are better than you really are. I really don't like to sound preachy, but I've been riding on the street for the better part of 30 years and I have seen the above situation played out more times than I care to count. Ditch the ego and become a lifelong participant in a great hobby.

Have her come out to the MRA races and watch what the guys are doing on 250s. But Bueller is right. The 250s are for retards, which is probably why I want one so bad. :D

Dirk

This!!! Especially if you can visually see that she isn't capable of smoothly shifting... The right power of clutch and redline in first gear will put her on her ass. Do the same thing on the Ninja 250, and it'll pretty much stall. More difficult to get into trouble. jam the throttle in the corner and the back tire isn't going to slip away.

The "what other people think" factor is always there. The guys here at work all gave me constant shit for riding a 250. One of them left a note on my car acting like a gay dude trying to pick up on me... pretty lame. I would constantly remind them that none of them had motorcycles. When I started riding with CSC, everyone was quite welcoming. It didn't matter that I had a 250. People that don't ride, don't know the difference. And the vast majority wouldn't even think anything about a woman on a ninja 250. I spent 4500 miles on that bike (a summer) and sold it and bought my brand new cbr600. Now I have the bike I want, and I haven't dumped it. I had both bikes for about 3 months and had the ability to go back and forth. The CBR is fun, but there was something about that Ninja 250 that stuck with me. Just flicks back and forth so effortlessly. Excellent bikes!

I'm with Drik on dropping the ego. She's obviously more concerned about looking good on the bike than learning how to ride it and not die on it. Show her a pic of a black 2008+ ninja 250. Make sure it has no marks on it for her to see. See if you can fool her. Better yet, show her a pic of the new Honda CBR250. I bet she doesn't believe it's not butter.

MetaLord 9
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I'm missing how recommending a bike smaller than a 100+ hp superport 600 for a beginning rider is sexist. An ex500 is a great starter bike too and it's smaller than a 600rr. I learned on that and I'm glad I did.

Just because someone wants something doesn't mean it's the best idea. He asked for our opinions and he's getting them, what's the problem?

Spooph
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I agree with Christi! Different people ride for different reasons. All people are different as well. Vellos comes to mind here: less than a year experience and an absolute excellent rider! If getting a 600 will get her out there and riding, then so be it! I would also recommend a twin of some sort though, be it a V or a II, they are just a bit more forgiving....

Concerning the 250. It is underpowered, no doubts. It's an absolute joy to commute on because there really isn't any reason or opportunity to go above 90 during a commute. But it does struggle in the mountains and I just can't keep up with the bigger bikes. BUT, will you and your wife be doubling the speed limit in the canyons? If NOT, the 250 can keep up just dandy like... :P

I always say that the rider doesn't pick the bike, the bike picks the rider... I say get her everything she doesn't have yet, gear wise, make sure her endorsement is valid, and go test ride bikes! Lots of them. Get a good cross-section. There are so many factors to consider it's not even funny, but she will ride a bike and she will just have to have it... And that's how you know what you want to ride.... :D

Zach929rr
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Most of us have started out on 600s or 650s and have been just fine.

I lol'd

asp_125
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:50 AM
There's a difference: "you NEED to get a 250" vs "you SHOULD get a 250 because..."

I'm sure his wife is capable of making that distinction.

Ahhh fukkit, buy her a 'busa and tell her to respect the throttle. :p

Reyven
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Other than taking the MSF course, how many of us had a 250 for a while other than Spooph? How many of us would be pissed because someone told us what to ride and didn't let us decide for ourselves? Yes, you can rail on the track on a Ninja 250 and you can even rail on the street, but for street riding, you need that extra power to accelerate away from bad situations. Ask Spooph how happy he is with his 250. He loves it but wants a bigger bike for street. I understand ndnbennyb (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=6710)'s concerns, but it's his wife, not his 16 yr old kid. I don't think my mom should have a bigger bike, but I won't say anything to her about it because it's not my life. She may have said " because of ego and image" because she was pissed because he was telling her she's not good enough to start out on a 600 and he wants her on a 250. Most of us have started out on 600s or 650s and have been just fine. If this was your buddy, who was a guy, would you tell him the same thing? I'm pretty sure not because I've read those threads and everyone always says go for the 600, but as soon as he says his wife, ya'll are all like yea, the 250, she doesn't need the power of a 600 yet. It takes a hell of a lot of balls to get on a sportbike and instead of being sexist jackass's you guys should be supporting her decisions and if she wants a 600 for fucks sake, let her have one and tell her props.

I started on a 250 :D And Im a chick :D And I made the decision myself.

Screw ego and image. I wanted something I could learn on before moving up in power. And I dont look back and regret that decision in the least. I feel that it was a great choice. Sorry to disagree with you, but a 250 is a great place to start. I moved up to what I have the next year, but that first year of learning was invaluable to me. Even having the r6 now, I love the look of the new gen 250's. Stated just this weekend that I would get one if I had the extra $.

It does take a hell of a lot balls to get on a sportbike. It takes even bigger balls to be honest with yourself and hone your skills on something appropriate for your skill level. No one is going to point and laugh if she's a chick on a 250. Thumbs up to her for getting out there and getting started.

ndnbennyb
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:54 AM
It's decided. A Busa it is. :D

Zach929rr
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM
It's decided. A Busa it is. :D

Quit being a bitch. Get her a boss hoss. The only thing that's better than 4 cylinders between your legs is 8.

MetaLord 9
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:58 AM
It does take a hell of a lot balls to get on a sportbike. It takes even bigger balls to be honest with yourself and hone your skills on something appropriate for your skill level. No one is going to point and laugh if she's a chick on a 250. Thumbs up to her for getting out there and getting started.
Agree.

Lindsey's gonna roll up to work this week on an old Hurricane that looks beat to hell and held together, literally, by zip ties, tape, and prayers and all the folks at work are gonna say is "holy shit you ride a motorcycle? That's badass!!" Doesn't matter what it looks like, how big it is, or how new it is, she rides a motorcycle and anyone who says that's not enough is too insecure ever deserve her.

asp_125
Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
There is a good article that's been floating around many sportbike forums about your first bike. It's stickied in a lot of places but not here. :dunno:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new-rider-forums/262785-thinking-starting-600cc-bike-look-inside.html

Whether you agree with it or not, it doesn't tell you to buy brand X over brand Y, but it does tell you the reasons why certain smaller bikes with noob friendly characteristics are better than others.

dirkterrell
Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Other than taking the MSF course, how many of us had a 250 for a while other than Spooph?

I rode an 80's era 500 for twenty years before I bought a bigger bike.

How many of us would be pissed because someone told us what to ride and didn't let us decide for ourselves?

He asked for advice and he got it. I had the good sense to listen to more experienced riders when I started out, and I am very glad I did.

Yes, you can rail on the track on a Ninja 250 and you can even rail on the street, but for street riding, you need that extra power to accelerate away from bad situations.

Maybe. In my many years of riding, I have never been in a dangerous situation that required more power than a 250 would put out. For someone who is described as having issues shifting from first to second, my read is that more power is likely to be a greater liability than and advantage at this point

Ask Spooph how happy he is with his 250. He loves it but wants a bigger bike for street.

I haven't ridden with him but he probably has gotten his skill level to the point that it makes sense.

I understand ndnbennyb (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=6710)'s concerns, but it's his wife, not his 16 yr old kid.

Physical age has nothing to do with it.

I don't think my mom should have a bigger bike, but I won't say anything to her about it because it's not my life.

I believe in making information and your experience available to newcomers, especially when it is solicited, as here.

She may have said " because of ego and image" because she was pissed because he was telling her she's not good enough to start out on a 600 and he wants her on a 250.

It's her choice. But I've found it wise to listen to people who have a lot of experience at something when I am just starting.

Most of us have started out on 600s or 650s and have been just fine. If this was your buddy, who was a guy, would you tell him the same thing?

Yes. I have a buddy who just took the MSF last fall and is looking to get a bike. I told him exactly that.

I'm pretty sure not because I've read those threads and everyone always says go for the 600, but as soon as he says his wife, ya'll are all like yea, the 250, she doesn't need the power of a 600 yet. It takes a hell of a lot of balls to get on a sportbike

No, it doesn't. Riding safely is about mitigating risks. There are many things you can do to increase your chances of avoiding bad situations. He's already described her throttle issues. More power will amplify those. And 600s are especially peaky, meaning that the time between the execution of a mistake and the bad outcome shrinks very quickly.

and instead of being sexist jackass's you guys should be supporting her decisions and if she wants a 600 for fucks sake, let her have one and tell her props.

:roll: Please.

To the OP, if you think I'm a sexist jackass, please feel free to ignore what I'm saying. If you think someone with a few years of experience might have a new rider's best interests in mind, feel free to consider what I'm saying and know that I'll be happy to talk with your wife and ride with you guys to pass along a few things I've learned.

Dirk

Ricky
Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:38 AM
The sexist jackass remark was dumb. This has nothing to do with male vs female. Find me ONE, JUST ONE, person that isn't happy they started with a 250 and moved up to something else later. You won't find one because they don't exist.

Foolds
Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Buy a nice life insurance plan on her and a CBR1000rr then she can have what ever she wants and you can too!

ndnbennyb
Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Buy a nice life insurance plan on her and a CBR1000rr then she can have what ever she wants and you can too!

:pointlaugh:

50sGrl
Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I rode a Ninja 250 for 2 months after receiving my endorsement and, although I moved up to a Yamaha FZ6R pretty quickly (which I wrecked pretty quickly, I might add), I wouldn't trade those 2 Ninja months and in hindsight would probably have ridden it for a bit longer. And now 9 months later, I got back on the Ninja again and had a blast! It takes the corners much easier than the Yami and has plenty of power. I was cruising up 93 at 75mph with no trouble and it felt like it had plenty more to give. It's a fun, sexy machine that can handle the slab and the twisties, and I'm having trouble seeing the 'image' issue.

Jtigger
Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM
The sexist jackass remark was dumb. This has nothing to do with male vs female. Find me ONE, JUST ONE, person that isn't happy they started with a 250 and moved up to something else later. You won't find one because they don't exist.

:yay:

IMO, it's all about how she is going to approach refining her skills.

I (wife of Tylar) started on a 600 right away BUT I took my sweet time in parking lots even after the MSF mastering control of the throttle/brakes etc and mastering my traffic awareness in town before I jumped on the highway or touched a canyon and to this day I am more of a technical rider and not out to see just how fast I can go.

If she is going to take her time with it and master the technical aspects first than get her what she wants. If she is just after getting on the street and keeping up then I would definitely say get her something smaller that is going to be more "forgiving" (not the best wording) when it comes to her limited technical abilities until she refines her skills and then explore moving up.

Glad to see more :boobies: on two wheels!!

ndnbennyb
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Well after all of the input from everyone here and taking into consideration everything that everyone said, (she read it all as well) she has decided that she would feel more comfortable getting a 250 and learning that way. She wants to make sure she is confident in technical riding than "look how fast I go". We are both looking at getting into riding canyons a lot so she would rather KNOW how to ride when she gets the bike she wants. Again thanks for all of the input. I am trying to get her to make an account on this forum but even with computers, she is still shy. We both look foward to seeing you all out there. :D

50sGrl
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I look forward to riding with her.

Jtigger
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hope to ride with you guys sometime!

Ricky
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Well after all of the input from everyone here and taking into consideration everything that everyone said, (she read it all as well) she has decided that she would feel more comfortable getting a 250 and learning that way. She wants to make sure she is confident in technical riding than "look how fast I go". We are both looking at getting into riding canyons a lot so she would rather KNOW how to ride when she gets the bike she wants. Again thanks for all of the input. I am trying to get her to make an account on this forum but even with computers, she is still shy. We both look foward to seeing you all out there. :D

Excellent!!! Great choice... If she's proficient by next season, plan to sell it in a year from now. May is the hot time for bikes, and when values will be higher than at the end of the summer because demand is higher.

Glad to see she likes that newer Ninja 250. Sexy bike!

Spooph
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM
:yay: - YAY! Another 250. Hope she enjoys hers as much as I enjoy mine.... :D. Can't wait to ride with ya'll...

Spiderman
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new-rider-forums/262785-thinking-starting-600cc-bike-look-inside.html
Good article! I'll have to read it again more thoroughly when I have some more time, then figure out where we can put it on our site.

We do have a similarly themed article (Open Letter To New Riders (http://www.esportbike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82750)) that we link to on our Learn to Ride (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/learn.html) resource page (which can be found among all the other links from the main site at www.cosportbikeclub.org (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/)).

Ricky
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I read that article too, and it brings about quite a few good points!

MetaLord 9
Mon May 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Good decision! The best way to get fast is to learn slow. Let us know when you wanna go ride

bornwildnfree
Mon May 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM

And that's all I can ask for! Can't wait to ride with you guys :D

Vellos
Mon May 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I didn't know any experienced riders when I began, so after acing the MSF course I bought a 600 for the power/image. Then I dumped it a couple blocks down from the dealer. :lol: Though I do not regret getting a 600 as my first bike, if I were to have the knowledge I have now back then I would have gone 250. And girls are hot on any sportbike!

Also, Christi, the whole sexist comment was uncalled for. Even I was offended...

Bueller
Mon May 9th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I frankly don't get the sexist thing, I being male and the owner of 2 250's think they are great bikes for both sexes. I have been riding mine for 3 years now and love it. It was a hard choice to make it into a racebike because it is such a good little do it all bike. I rode mine in the canyons and city, it performs well in both situations. It was a bit tall for my wife when she was first learning so we ended up with a 250 rebel for last year. Now we picked up another ninjette and I tuned and lowered it an inch and a half and she is starting to really like it. Yesterday she did the 3 "Parade Laps" at HPR and she had a blast.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
over on this side an 883 is comparable to a hyosung 250 ;) ...on a good day

JonnyD
Mon May 9th, 2011, 03:38 PM
over on the other side of the galaxy ..the girl bike is the 883
so who says a 600 is to big?

My girlfriend rides the 1200 "other side", and I've had more than a few questions about how my 1000cc v-twin has WAY more power ~and~ better fuel mileage than hers. Also, I can't ride behind her anymore because Yosh carbon pipes on an RC51 mean she can't hear hers at ALL. (she has stock pipes)

I wish I had learned on a smaller bike than a superhawk, I'm sure I would be MUCH better! Maybe I'll look into a DRZ...

Congrats on daring to ride a sportbike!

Bueller
Tue May 10th, 2011, 06:45 AM
My Buell 984 CC engine puts out about 75 HP, right around the same as a SV 650, the 600 supersport I-4 motors are well over 100 hp.
If an 883 is beating up on your 650 you have a problem.

Ninja2
Tue May 10th, 2011, 07:42 PM
My first bike was the same bike I have now - '05 ZX6R. However, as a noob, I did not enjoy riding the bike because it was too much bike for me. I'm also a female rider. I then downgraded to a Ninja 250 for one season. I can highly recommend the Ninja 250 for a beginners bike. I also wished I would have held on to the 250 - it was a lot of fun in the corners.

Bottom line - your wife might outgrow the 250 in one season, but at least she'll be able to enjoy riding and be safe. Kawi came out with the nice body style on 2009 for the 250s. There is one for sale on this forum: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39437

TorchRedCorvette
Wed May 11th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I'm going to chime in here too--
My very first bike was an old used '89 Honda Hurricane 600. I dumped it on sand in a corner, and pretty much never rode it again. It was top heavy and too high for me, the ex was doing nothing to make it easier for me to learn to ride-- and I ended up selling it shortly after I got it.
A few years later, I bought an '05 Ninja 250, which was perfect for me to truly learn to ride on. I became proficient, took the course, and finally outgrew the bike. Partly because my skills were such that I could then handle a bigger bike; partly because I couldn't keep up with all my riding friends who were riding 600's and up around town and I got tired of being left behind. Keep in mind this was in North Dakota, where all the roads are straight and flat and there isn't any traffic.
So I started looking for a 600 but there just weren't any used ones for sale in my area at the time... and I ended up buying my '01 R1, even though my ex was concerned about me looping it or plowing into the back of a vehicle. Nothing like that has ever come close to happening and I've never regretted buying that bike. Do I use the bike to its full potential? No, not really. Can I handle that much power and have fun on the bike, and keep up? Yes.
I really think that a lot of the buying decision has to do with personal preference-- if she doesn't like the bike, she won't ride it. Balance that with the point that Christi made, that suspension and other issues can be addressed to make the bike fit the rider, and the points that others have made about safety vs. image.
Thus, I feel that it can be worth starting on a 250, speaking from personal experience; however, I can also see how a responsible rider could start on a 5-600 and not have any issues. It has nothing to do with what gender the rider is-- it depends on the rider being comfortable on the bike, and knowing better than to crack the throttle, and so on. :argue:

taikahn
Sun Aug 21st, 2011, 09:40 AM
I know the threads a bit old but IMHO, ego should never influence your decision to learn how to ride safely and well.

How I started: 49cc Ruckus -> 125cc PCX -> 149cc 1971 Honda CAFE -> 250cc ninjette -> 250cc CBR.

If people talk shit or look down on someone for riding a small motorcycle that's their own ignorance. My modded ruckus 49cc is at times my favorite bike (and yes, I call it a bike most of the time).

http://gallery.me.com/tai/100111/IMG_0494/web.jpg?ver=13038289970001

Clovis
Sun Aug 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM
First bike for me was a 07 R1.

First bike for Mrs. Clovis (and current bike for me) was a 07 FZ6.

The FZ6 has been by far my favorite bike. It's comfortable, light and has R6 power. Quite a fun bike and excellent beginner bike.

Spooph
Sun Aug 21st, 2011, 03:06 PM
That Ruckus looks like a hoot!

taikahn
Sun Aug 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
^definitely is.

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Aug 21st, 2011, 10:03 PM
My first bike was a 1984 Vespa P200E. I put 9000 miles on that thing in the year I had it - 1984