PDA

View Full Version : What to look out for

mxnhid
Sat May 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM
So i dont post on this board much...but i cannot think of a better place to ask my questions, all feedback is welcome.

I ride an aprilia futura, mostly commute to work and ride 2 up with my girl all over the state. I grew up on endless outdoor property with a kawi enduro, learned in the dirt and wrecked everyday playing around. I cannot stop thinking about how incredible an enduro would be here in Denver. I moved here almost 5 years ago, and im ready to commit to some dirt riding.
As a tester, i borrowed my buddies kawi 650 enduro he uses and took it up to idaho springs, then about 5 miles in towards mt. Evans, hung a right and went up some dirt roads. This bike was HORRIBLE, it bogged down, had no nuts, stalled out unless above 3grand, and generally felt like a turd. It was carburated, and maybe that was the problem. This led me to think that i need fuel injection, but i hardly think thats the case cause people around here had to ride carbs long ago around here.

I have the opprotunity to buy a Honda cfr 230cc dual sport, its pretty cheap it seems for being an 09 but its carbed and i hesitate.
I want a bike that i wont have to trailer, (but i have one if i need to) ride to where i can get to trails up in the mts. beat the dog snot out of it, and get home at the end of the day, torque and range is good, suspension will be tested and i bet i will lay it down 3 times a day on the trail so it needs to take a slight beating..
What are some good makes and models for my needs? Any feedback is welcome and encouraged for anyone with experience in this matter.
Thank you for your time and reply. My regards. Max

mxnhid
Sun May 8th, 2011, 12:52 AM
So no one has posted, but wanted to state, it was a klr 650 i was on.

Bueller
Sun May 8th, 2011, 06:31 AM
A DRZ400 would be a good bike for what you are looking to do. I would look for the E model that has been titled. Get a jet kit for it and follow the high altitude instructions. Beware though a DRZ will automatically qualify you for the fag club.

MAZIN
Sun May 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Dude I think a 09 crf230 would be a little small, I'm buying the same thing for my wife as a upgrade fom her cr85r. If its the one in brighton it looks hella clean but depending on your size I'm thinking it would be too small. KTM motors are beast and the EXC line is pretty badass but for all around Dual sports I would agree go DRZ.

mxnhid
Sun May 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
looking online, the DRZ seems well supported, i dont get the fag club reference? Is it because everyone has one? I like the ktm 400 bikes, but they seem over priced, looked at an aprilia rxv 450 and took one for a test ride, incredible, but support is poor all around it seems for the bike.

I guess im asking the wrong questions, so let me try this one, what bikes would you stay away from?

GregsGSXR
Sun May 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM
If you want a bike to ride on the highway as well as the trail the DRZ 400 is a great inexpensive bike. If you are going to be on the highway and fire roads more you could get a bigger bike (650cc+) or if you want to hit the trail exclusively you could get more of a plain dirt bike (plated is nice for using the road to trail hop). It is all really in how you set them up. My bike was terrible off road until I re-geared it and put a set of Dunlop 606's on. In the end you need to get the bike that fits you and the type of riding you want to do.

mxnhid
Sun May 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Gregsgsxr, thanks for the feedback. I will start shopping around for a DRZ 400 to see whats good. I will def want less fire road and more single track fire road combo, whats this plated plain dirt bike thing you speak of? I have a very fun and fast street bike that i use all the time, so this will be a more dedicated use on the road to get to the fun stuff bike.

FZRguy
Sun May 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM
You'll be in the fag club if you buy a DRZ b/c Bueller will be your best bud. :lol: I have a plated E model.....buy one that is already titled or pass. You'll have to trust me on this. :roll:

mxnhid
Sun May 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Good info, wow, serious DRZ sausage fest in CO! Would a 400DRZ SM be ok up in the mts if i put some dirt tires under it? Doesnt look agile but it could be? I think a super motard would be fun, but im not sure im motivated to swap tires and rims all that much so it most likely would be a dedicated dirt bike.

FZRguy
Sun May 8th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Mine is a sumo. Swapping tires/rims gets old fast. Buy a dirt version if you want to ride trails. Sumo is fine for dirt roads, and some guys take them on trails. I want a DS too for trails cuz I want to keep my sumo for mostly pavement riding. I'll probably buy a 250, but I weigh a buck twenty....with gear and rocks in my pockets!

MAZIN
Mon May 9th, 2011, 07:03 AM
looking online, the DRZ seems well supported, i dont get the fag club reference? Is it because everyone has one? I like the ktm 400 bikes, but they seem over priced, looked at an aprilia rxv 450 and took one for a test ride, incredible, but support is poor all around it seems for the bike.

I guess im asking the wrong questions, so let me try this one, what bikes would you stay away from?

Its because KTM's are already tricked out with the goodies, Steel Lines, wave rotors, brembo brakes etc....

Ricky
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I would remove the carb/fi question from the equation. Sure, carbs can be finicky, but get them tuned and jetted for the altitude, and they are great. Even my 250 doesn't experience the problems you're describing, but I'm kind of a featherweight.

Zach929rr
Mon May 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I ride my 400sm on the Rampart single track often, Sure, knobbies would be nicer, but I'm sure as shit too lazy to change rims everytime.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
don't know much about the CRF230, but my little bro has a CRF250X and that thing hauled my fat butt everywhere and even made it up a nasty hill climb above 12,000ft w/ no issues. for your reference i'm 6'2" -210 lbs easy.

mxnhid
Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM
now that is some good info Dr. Joe, The only reason i have considered the CRF230 is its availabe, and its a known history. Plus, it seemed like enough nuts to move me around (5'11" 195) gear on) but, dream bike would be that 450 aprilia rxv, that thing was gobs of torque. I might test ride a huske or a ktm just to see the diff. I like to be a consumer advocate and get whats best for me, not whats just a good deal. I think i will buy by the begining of next month.

PhL0aTeR
Mon May 9th, 2011, 03:48 PM
if the KLR ran that bad, im sure there was something more wrong with it than "i just need fuel injection".

My DR650 has handled about everything ive thrown at it, only time it "thought" about leaving me somewhere or not doing what i told it to was going up a hill, and it eventually made it up, but i had to replace the clutch when i got home.

I dont do "motocross" type stuff, mostly just spirited single track and adventure type riding, so the 650 has what i need after a few suspension upgrades, whackin off the lollipops for some flush mounts and tossin a skidplate on it.

i decided on the DR vs the XR or the KLR because it its "middle of the road" status regarding dual sport. IMHO the KLR leans more street, weras the XR leans toward more dirt. I dont have to trailer to get where im going, i can zip down fire roads or forest roads to connect to different trail systems if i want, or as i said, have a nice adventure ride. I decided on the bigger bike vs a smaller 400 series because of my overall size. Im 6'4" and was about 330ish when the pic in my sig was taken.

I also chose the DR because of its popularity and long running model, its been relatively unchanged since 96, making aftermarket parts and info on fixes as well as common modifications easy to find.

Not sure if any of that helps, but there is my .02 :cheers:

FZRguy
Tue May 10th, 2011, 01:03 AM
CRF250X :yes:
CRF230 :no: