PDA

View Full Version : Oil on tire = BAD!

Cars-R-Coffins
Sun May 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I was riding this weekend when I found that I had not tightened my oil cap and now it's gone. Long story short... about 1/2 qt. of oil emptied out onto the rear of my bike including the rear tire and brake pads. Obviously the rear brake is pretty much non-existant as far as braking strength goes. The rear tire has about 2" oil up from the lip (chicken strip area). I've since wiped it off but... The tire is 90% new, is there any way to salvage the tire or does it need replaced? How about the rear break pads? What do the experts say?

Bueller
Sun May 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Should be able to clean tire but brake pads are likely a lost cause.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Should be able to clean tire but brake pads are likely a lost cause.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3470/3351741276_666cc7f6f9.jpg

asp_125
Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Tire is gonna be greasy if you left the oil on long enough to soak in, but if you were riding it the tread should be mostly clean except for the edges. Take it easy on the lean angles and gradually work them over, like it was a new tire in the rain. When you get it warm enough the oil will eventually work its way to the surface where it will be scrubbed away.

Change the brake pads, wiping down the rotors will brake cleaner, spray some on the caliper too to get rid of any oil near the pistons.

gearhead2011
Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Burn it off and take plenty of pictures!

Connman
Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Believe it or not, regular old Dawn dish soap will do the job.

OUTLAWD
Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I'd avoid the brake cleaner on the caliper itself, and go the dawn route. its only the rear caliper, but brake cleaner will eat at the seals and possibly cause the pistons to stick, but I am no expert

Kevin
Tue May 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM
take the rear pads out and saturate them with brake clean. They'll live. Brake clean on the caliper is just fine - it won't eat the seals - it evaporates too fast. I would do the tire too.

Cars-R-Coffins
Tue May 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM
So far I've cleaned the rear pads with brake cleaner and scrubbed the tire with dish soap and water. They both look and feel like they used to but I think only a spirited road test will reveal the true results ... and I'm working extra hours this week so I won't have time until Saturday :violin:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Why not just get a Scottoiler and oil the shit out of the left side of the bike to match the right side? :)

For reference, I believe the brake cleaner is safe for the seals in brake calipers. I can;t imagine them making something specifically to clean brakes that would harm the seals. Best to probably use the soap and water method first and then just use a few shots of cleaner to finish cleaning the oil off. The pads, well, they moght be porous enough to actually have the oil embed itself, but it couldn't hurt to spray them off really good with brake cleaner. I would NOT use soap on the pads. Good luck, and I hope you didn't get any dirt in your engine.......

Nick_Ninja
Tue May 10th, 2011, 07:52 PM
^ ........ towneh style! :D

TinkerinWstuff
Thu May 12th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I should have taken a photo of my white rear wheel after 541miles Tuesday traveling Windsor, CO to Omaha, NE.

It was fucking AMAZING!! (sarcasm)
The white wheels were still white and there was no oil on the tire (not sarcasm)

OUTLAWD
Thu May 12th, 2011, 05:19 PM
The white wheels were still white and there was no oil on the tire (not sarcasm)

werd..I know a ton of people with scottoilers and they love them...I could just never justify the cost, and don't do enough long trips to matter, and when I do go on anything longer than a day trip, I bring lube