PDA

View Full Version : Anyone goin to Salt Lake Races over memorial day?

houdini
Tue May 10th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Were still up in the air about this but....My girlfriend and I are considering going to the World SBK races in Salt Lake City over the memorial day weekend ! We are talkin about riding up possibly on Fri. or sat. (depending on how work goes.) and returning on Mon. Ive never takin that long of a trip with the bike before so im still kinda leary about doing it by ourselves! So i thought if anyone else is going and wanted to join us for the ride it might make it a little less stressfull ! Also, We could take my F150 if you have a trailer...the only problem with that is it only gets about 12mpg! And thats part of the reason i wanted to ride the bike, beside the fact that the bike would be alot more fun! and its pretty lame to just pull into a hotel and ride from there to the track! Lol.
We also have "friends and family" rate for Marriott Hotels which usually gives us a pretty good deal! If anyone is interested in joining up with us let me know and we can figure out the details! We are pretty flexible as to all of it as long as work cooperates!

bornwildnfree
Tue May 10th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Yep, Spooph and GutairX and I have been talking about it. I'm in if they don't go.

GuitarX
Tue May 10th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely on the fence. I'd like to go for sure. Houdini, did you already get tix or do you plan to just get them at the track?

Christi, you won't go if Spooph and I do? lol

houdini
Wed May 11th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I was planning on getting tix @ the track...unless we can find any racers that got the hook up ;). Im waiting on a callback from a friend @ Fox to see if he can throw us some passes...but i dont think he can!

houdini
Wed May 11th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Ok so here's what im thinkin! ( totally open for suggestions! )
We cant leave til early Sat. (GF cant take fri. Off, and has to be back to work tues. Morn.) and the Main race isnt til Mon...i also may have access to my boss' 20 ft trailer! I personally would rather just take the bike! But it would be awful nice to have a chase vehicle just incase weather,or wanted to stay for the end of race, end up partying more then should've, or god forbid someone has mechanical failure or whatever unforseen issue...and that way if anyone wants to ride until fatigue sets in we can always pull over and throw it on the trailer and continue on! The only problem with taking the truck is it can only fit 4ppl (semi comfortably) 5ppl (sardines) and gas mileage sucks! But we could always rotate back and forth to accomidate each other! I dont have a problem with taking the truck if each of us could pitch in a little for gas! Will also need to know how many rooms to try and get...if we wanna all cram into one room to save $ or get several rooms! Doesnt matter to me either way im down for whatever! Again we are totally open for suggestions! All i know is i just want to see these "superbike gods" in action! :)

bornwildnfree
Wed May 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Christi, you won't go if Spooph and I do? lol

HAHAHAH You're so funny Gary. I meant I'll go even if you guys don't want to.

I'm ok with chipping in for gas for the truck. I've made that trip 2x on the bike and it's a lot of fun. I'll borrow Bob's radar detector though. It's better at 115mph. I'm able to get my own hotel room and I'm comfortable sharing with someone and don't really care about gender. I'm not strapped for cash so am willing to go with what the group needs. If you guys want to leave Saturday, that's fine, but I have that Friday off so if anyone riding wants to get a start earlier it works better having 2 days to make the ride.

houdini
Wed May 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Which way do you normally go to get there? I25n to 80w or 70w-15n? And how long does it typically take on a bike? I assume since you've ridden it twice its not that bad of a ride? The GPS says 8 hrs for 550miles but thats goin the speed limit in a car. Like i said before ive never gone long distance on any of my bikes, i have rode alot of 8-10 hr rides in a day, but it was usually only like 2hrs, stop for a beer, 2hrs stop for lunch, 2hrs more drinks etc. etc.!
The reason i ask is bcuz originally the whole reason for going (besides seeing the races) was to get the hell out of here and hit the open road with the bike! I drive the truck everyday so really what fun is that, id rather just fly there if thats the case!
Are any of y'all gonna be at any of the rides prior to this trip? Id like to meet up and hash out the details in person since its easier then on here! Im suppose to have my new tire here by early next week, so i should be able to get out for a bike night or ride by mid week!

bornwildnfree
Wed May 11th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I will be at Motogear on Saturday if you want to stop by. I will be riding on Sunday, but not sure where and I will also be at the noob ride. I've ridden it. We left at 11AM and got into Silverthorn at 11PM but that was because I couldn't go fast in the canyons. I70 W to 50 is better than 15. They are still doing construction on 15 and it was a miserable ride last year. 50 is much better. I think we could do it in 8-10 hours esp running radar and not starting off at 9PM at night LOL. It's a long story but yea really doable.

You usually have to stop every hour and a half for gas because I only get about 140 miles at 90-100mph ish.

houdini
Thu May 12th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Lol...90-100 in the canyon? Did i mention i'll be riding a stretched and lowered Hayabusa with a passenger! Im pretty new out here but isnt I70 kinda sketchy this time of year as far as weather goes?

bornwildnfree
Thu May 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Nope, the weather should be fine on I70 but might be windy in Utah. hehe stretched and lowered O.o. Well, we can go as fast as you feel comfortable lol.