PDA

View Full Version : New riders, saw this on another forum and thought it was great.

ian22
Tue May 10th, 2011, 04:12 PM
http://forums.sportrider.com/70/591801/new-riders/new-riders-please-read-this-updated/index.html

This issue crossed my mind once again as again someone I know bought a bike that is way too much. If you know someone who is new to sportbikes...maybe this article can talk some sense into them.

Ian

Swift
Wed May 11th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Some good info in there. My bike is my first street bike and has a lot of power for a starter bike. It's also fairly heavy compared to most of the supersports.

The difference though is I have 4 years of dirt experience on my belt and about a year or 2s worth of riding my buddies street bikes. Without any of that I'm pretty sure I would have ate shit by now.

Slo
Wed May 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I will probably be one of the only ones with this opinion on new riders and what bikes they get.

- crashes are mostly from not making turns or someone cutting them off, turning in front of them, etc.

- so no matter what bike you're on, if you can't make a particular turn at a certain speed, you will crash whether you're on a 125 or a 1400.

I think a first bike, as far as outright power goes, depends on the riders intentions/personality. I have seen people start on smaller bikes and crash, and have seen some start on bigger bikes and do fine.

Of course there are those that start on bigger bikes and crash nonetheless.

Spooph
Wed May 11th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I like that post...

Slo, I hear what you're saying, but there is a significant weight difference between a 250 and a 1400 (using the ends of the spectrum for illustrative purposes), and that weight is much more apparent at low speeds (the most probable place for anybody to drop a bike, especially a noob). So I support your argument, but I also think the possibility of a rider getting seriously hurt because of their ignorance about the bike's abilities gets diminished the smaller the engine size... That's why I usually recommend a smaller bike for starters. It's more forgiving in the more likely situations new riders typically struggle with right off the bat.

Ha! Some of us not-so-noobs shouldn't have powerful bikes anyway... :P

But, I only have the power to make my own decisions and won't tell somebody what they SHOULD do, merely what I THINK would be best choice. It's their choice to take it or leave it.

Ian, thanks for posting up that letter!

MetaLord 9
Wed May 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Good post!

The challenge with a higher powered bike is that small mistakes can get exponentially worse when there is more power involved and that can take a routine mistake and make it dangerous very quickly.

I'm also of the mindset that if your want to look cool or not be considered a n00b effects the type of bike you buy then you have no business being on the street. Go buy a sports car to show of, but keep it outta my lane.

Slo
Wed May 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I also think the possibility of a rider getting seriously hurt because of their ignorance about the bike's abilities gets diminished the smaller the engine size...

Your opinions are valid... But that statement above generalizes many, but mostly to those who will be ignorant. Just my opinion, it depends on the mentality of the rider.

With my mind set, I think there is no in between, either your capable of riding a bike, or you're not.

If you're not, doesn't mean you can't, I just think you increase the risk to yourself and others around you more than what is acceptable in my opinions. Whether you are new or not, doesn't have any effect on it.

With bikes, or anything else in life, there is always risk. It's just how each of us reduces that risk, no matter how long we have been riding or what our skills are.

Again, not saying all you're opinions are incorrect, hell, I think all of them are definitely valid. We just think differently coming from different backgrounds.

ian22
Wed May 11th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm one of the lucky ones who started on a bike that was too big...looking back, I wish someone would've pulled me aside and told me what was what. My first bike was a 1999 GSXR750 - I never crashed it but I did drop it a couple of times in parking lots. Fortunatly for me, I knew some guys who had a talk with me and explained about how I shouldn't feel like I have something to prove, etc. Anyway, I was lucky but back then many weren't and that is still true today.

stubbicatt
Wed May 11th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Man. When I started out, 650 was BIG. There were Harley's back then, but those were for old men and thugs. Started on a 2 stroke 250 cc bike. Crashed it a few times. Was hurt pretty badly once or twice.

I'm glad I came up that way.

Today I ride a 1200, which is significantly more bike than anybody ever thought of back then. I think of myself as a pimply faced kid learning on the bike I have now and it causes me to cringe.

In the end, it is the choice of the rider what he rides, how he rides and where he rides. It is a known risk that a rider takes each time he throws a leg over a motorcycle. If he is willing to take the risks that go along with a powerful motorcycle, it is his choice.

McVaaahhh
Wed May 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Screw all that logic and common sense. Go buy the biggest, baddest machine you can afford. :up:

Slo
Wed May 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Screw all that logic and common sense. Go buy the biggest, baddest machine you can afford. :up:

I think when I first moved here, had just purchased a busa, went to a CSC early year ride with paper plates on, told a few fellas it was my first bike. I could hear the quiet mumblin "stay away from that asian dude with the paper plated busa".....:yay:

Davy4575
Thu May 12th, 2011, 12:05 AM
My first street bike was an RD-400, not exactly user friendly. Sure loved it though. I have mixed feelings. I think some teenager getting a bike for the first time is magneticly drawn to that wich will kill them the quickest, but at the same time, when one of my friends asks me about learning to ride after looking at my R1, I find myself giving the standard speech about getting a small starter bike and taking an msf course. Habbit I guess

Kevin
Thu May 12th, 2011, 01:49 AM
EXCELLENT read!

McVaaahhh
Thu May 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I think when I first moved here, had just purchased a busa, went to a CSC early year ride with paper plates on, told a few fellas it was my first bike. I could hear the quiet mumblin "stay away from that asian dude with the paper plated busa".....:yay:

Now they just say "Stay away from that Slo dude". :D

Slo
Thu May 12th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Now they just say "Stay away from that Slo dude". :D

That's the only way for me to be consistent!!!!

deadline
Sun May 15th, 2011, 05:05 AM
My first bike was and still is 600cc... and while I did have some issues with the clutch, I had no problems with the bike being "too big or too powerful"...

rccarver
Sun May 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM
The most important thing is to be honest with yourself about your abilities. I don't agree that dirt and street bike experience has little value. My first sport bike is an rc51 and I've had no problems, but without years of motocross and Triumph streeters I know I couldn't have handled it.

CaptGoodvibes
Sun May 15th, 2011, 10:20 AM
This was posted on another forum and...

Well, let me just say how proud I am of all of you for focusing on content instead of spelling and grammar. I love this club!

Madrover
Mon May 16th, 2011, 09:45 AM
http://forums.sportrider.com/70/591801/new-riders/new-riders-please-read-this-updated/index.html

This issue crossed my mind once again as again someone I know bought a bike that is way too much. If you know someone who is new to sportbikes...maybe this article can talk some sense into them.

Ian

Great find, ian! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

whitey001
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM
This is exactly the kinda stuff that went through my head when my friend, who had only ridden a motorcycle a couple times, said, "im going to buy a streetbike." Fortunately he was smart and can take advice so he bought a 500. But not after i made him ride my dirtbike until the controls were second nature.