PDA

View Full Version : Creative lock smith needed, or car theif

Sparker
Tue May 10th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Ive got a Toyota sequoia which the cable for the rear hatch has come off its hold causing the handle to be useless. i know the cable is still hooked to the handle itself and the latch but not the part that holds it in place to create the tension. The kicker. You can not open it without it working. No access from inside without cutting the panel to gain access and the lock is electronic from the turn key so picking that is not an option. No access from outside as its totally encased in metal.

I can explain in person what I think will work, but just need someone with some good slim Jim skills, and a slim Jim. If I cant get this resolved in the next week I have to cut the panel open as I have to have access the weekend of the 20th for some large gear. lemme know if anyone would be willing to try it, I can bring it to you. Plentiful of beer will be yours.

t_jolt
Tue May 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM
if you have triple a they offer lock smith services. Perhaps that might be one option

PhL0aTeR
Tue May 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM
if you have triple a they offer lock smith services. Perhaps that might be one option

good luck with that... lockout services help you get in, they arent going to troubleshoot a broken part in a rear liftgate.

matt2778
Tue May 10th, 2011, 06:03 PM
You need a new handle. Im a toyota master tech. can get the door open in about 30 seconds for you.

Sparker
Tue May 10th, 2011, 06:45 PM
the handle broke before and i replaced it but i dont think I got the cable all the way back on. Its just dangeling on there. There is resistance but not enough to pull enough tension to get it open. Just need to get it open then I can get it all taken care of.

Sparker
Tue May 10th, 2011, 07:17 PM
with the handle broke and the cable still intact it was easy for sure

matt2778
Wed May 11th, 2011, 07:56 AM
So the handle is still interacted but the cable is broken/loose? If that is the case you will have to remove the door panel.

Sparker
Wed May 11th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I climbed inside and was able to get all the panels off, BARELY! The large panel i had to pry off and broke one tab then I was able to get into the guts and get it open so all is not good in the world.

Everything was installed correctly but I think the aftermarket metal handle was made just a little off and wasnt pulling the cable enough to hit the latch. Added a few lock washers as a shim and were good go to.

usmcab35
Wed May 11th, 2011, 04:36 PM
glad you got it fixed. for future reference interior panels and pry should never be in the same sentence lol