PDA

View Full Version : Lane splitting

Kevin
Thu May 12th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Anyone do this? I haven't been able to work up the cajones to do it yet, even at the slowest speeds. I keep telling myself next time I'm sitting in standstill traffic on 225, or a long traffic jam on belleview (or wherever) that I'm going to split lanes, even slowly, just because I'm on a bike and can, but I haven't done it yet. For some reason, it scares me more than dragging knee, and I don't know why! It's not because someone could change lanes unexpectedly or turn left through traffic onto a side-street, I can be ready for that, or that I'm worried about someone opening their car door, (DOUBT that would happen!) it's just something about riding down the middle of that narrow gap between lines of cars freaks me out a bit. Maybe it's 'cause I have bar end mirrors so I feel wider, but still...

Anyone have any tips? People do it all the time in Cali! Help me grow a pair!

p.s. I know it's illegal here. All advice taken at my own risk!

FZRguy
Thu May 12th, 2011, 02:14 AM
il·le·gal, adjective
1. forbidden by law or statute.
2. contrary to or forbidden by official rules, regulations, etc.

Sarge
Thu May 12th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I'd do it all day if I wasn't afraid of getting pulled over.

spdu4ia
Thu May 12th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I'd do it all day if I wasn't afraid of getting pulled over.

Same here :guns:

at red lights that is, i'm a too much of a shicken chit to do it at speed.

stubbicatt
Thu May 12th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I've seen guys doing it on I25 during rush hour. If it were legal I would consider it.

usmcab35
Thu May 12th, 2011, 07:24 AM
yea no thanks... i did it when i was stationed in cali but i would rather wait in traffic or ride slowly down the side of the road before i would be ok with driving between cars.

The Dude Abides!
Thu May 12th, 2011, 07:25 AM
While living in Cali, I learned by watching others. When I first saw someone doing it I thought "you crazy son of a bitch!" :shock: Then one day I was running a little late to work and the traffic was at a standstill. A group of 3 riders on big bikes were lane splitting and after they passed me I decided to follow suit. :headbang:Once you start doing it it becomes addictive.:zap: My heart was beating out of my chest I was so excited/scared. It is no big thing in California, in fact I saw guys lane splitting right past a cop and he didn't bat an eye until a guy passed him riding on the shoulder. That guy got pulled over and was issued a $300 ticket! :mrt:There is no way I would do it if it wasn't legal, and my suggestion is don't even think about it. Put it far back in your mind, lock the door and throw away the key. My 2 cents (worth every penny)

Matty
Thu May 12th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Back in SoCal I "Lane Shared" (learn the correct term) all the time. Whether i was on the freeway or in the street. Out here in Colorado, even if it was legal, Hell no!!! Drivers out here are horrible. In SoCal they drive stupid fast but at least pay attention. Out here everyone has their head up their ass. And I could see some douchebag swing open his car door to try and hit a rider trying to get by. Or swerving into a rider on purpose as well. Yes, it happens!

brennahm
Thu May 12th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Wrong forum...try the one where they use NOS additive.

asp_125
Thu May 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM
We did some lane splitting in Laguna when traffic was really jammed up. :shock: an eye opener for sure. But there, they are used to bikes sharing lanes and their lanes seem wider. Here the drivers are crazy and even if it were legal I'd let someone else be the guinea pig first.

MetaLord 9
Thu May 12th, 2011, 08:23 AM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39020
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36116
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14029
/thread

Slo
Thu May 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I don't split lanes here, but did in CA.

Even if it became legal here, the first couple years would be disasterous for many and I would probably avoid it unless in specific situations.

Bueller
Thu May 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM
/thread

Maybe an attentive mod could merge all these threads :idea:

Snowman
Thu May 12th, 2011, 08:37 AM
If it were legal here that's another thing. But some of these Colorado drivers would have no problem opening their doors into you for the insurance money and the comedy relief...

Finklestein87
Thu May 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
****Only if the benefits outweighed the risks.

Someone behind me looking as if they werent going/able to stop.

Aggressive driver near me driving recklessly (if i wasnt able to slow down and let them pass safely)

Zach929rr
Thu May 12th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I've lane split c470 from Alameda to Morrison Rd before on the way to a Boston's night. Would probably do it again too.

MetaLord 9
Thu May 12th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I've lane split c470 from Alameda to Morrison Rd before on the way to a Boston's night. Would probably do it again too.
Yeah, we got a picture of that on the way:

http://www.rockthegear.org/images/uploads/squid.jpg

Zach929rr
Thu May 12th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I ride in the nude, brah.

MetaLord 9
Thu May 12th, 2011, 09:17 AM
^^I know. I had to add underwear, like when you watch Showgirls on TNT

Zach929rr
Thu May 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
:lol:

Kevin
Thu May 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM
/thread

I knew I'd seen threads about this here before, but couldn't find them. Thanks for the links

mdub
Thu May 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM
i try to hold my self back...but there are alot of two cycle haters out there...especially people like me on a rocket....when i'm on my bike i gotta go and get there....i dont understand the haters trying to impede my progress. alot of retards behind the wheels..i love it when sport cars want to race....

WolFeYeZ
Thu May 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Doors opening don't seem to uncommon either... Last couple days I have seen 3 people randomly open their doors at a stoplight to spit or some shit. and there is this...

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138046

Vehicle 1
Thu May 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I can't deny that I have hit the shoulder before when in serious bumper to bumper traffic. When I did it though, I tried to be "respectful" to other drivers by going slow. Even so I had a couple people launch their cars towards the shoulder to try and physically stop me from doing it!
I wonder what the legal implications would be if one of them actually hits you while doing this...
One thing is for sure, I would be very hesitant to share lanes between cars, I would stay in the shoulder and "lane share" that way... can you legally "share lanes" between the car and the shoulder in Cali? or only between lanes?

vort3xr6
Thu May 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I used to do it all the time in Arizona before I got pulled over. I was a crazy son of a bitch though. Cars would dart out and you always have to have an escape plan. IMO nothing is more exhilarating than playing dodge ball with cars. I did it on Kipling the other day on the way home because there was an accident and a jeep swerved into the middle so I couldn't pass. Colorado has some asshole drivers.

Sully
Thu May 12th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Colorado has some asshole drivers.

Agreed.

What is the big deal if a bike wants to pass you, it's not taking up that much space anyway... so I don't get the drivers who want to cut you off or swerve over so you can't get by. :guns:

OUTLAWD
Thu May 12th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I try my luck in the canyons, I try my luck at the track, I have a feeling if I started lane splitting, I'd run out of luck

Kevin
Thu May 12th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I've taken the shoulder a couple times before, but for some reason, that almost seems more blatant - you're right out there in the open free to be pulled over! And as mentioned, there's always the debris.

So for those who have done it, or do it regularly, or are from Cali where it's common, how best to go about it the first time? I've sat in stopped traffic, nearly on the center line, looking wistfully down between the miles of lined up cars, my heart pounding, my grip on the clutch loosening... and then I chicken out and continue to wait. I suppose just go for it, slowly at first, huh?

I mean, are you looking in people's mirrors to be sure they see you, watching for signs of a cutoff like a car's front wheel turning in, watching brake lights, how far ahead are you looking, how fast do you go, (around here, not very fast, I would think) does traffic have to be at near standstill before it's appropriate, do you stay in a low gear to make more noise and better control? Some tips from the pros would be helpful.

Like anything else riding, if I'm going to split lanes, I want to be safe while doing so and have some idea of what to expect.

And yes, I too think it should be legal :)

WolFeYeZ
Thu May 12th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I've taken the shoulder a couple times before, but for some reason, that almost seems more blatant - you're right out there in the open free to be pulled over! And as mentioned, there's always the debris.

So for those who have done it, or do it regularly, or are from Cali where it's common, how best to go about it the first time? I've sat in stopped traffic, nearly on the center line, looking wistfully down between the miles of lined up cars, my heart pounding, my grip on the clutch loosening... and then I chicken out and continue to wait. I suppose just go for it, slowly at first, huh?

I mean, are you looking in people's mirrors to be sure they see you, watching for signs of a cutoff like a car's front wheel turning in, watching brake lights, how far ahead are you looking, how fast do you go, (around here, not very fast, I would think) does traffic have to be at near standstill before it's appropriate, do you stay in a low gear to make more noise and better control? Some tips from the pros would be helpful.

Like anything else riding, if I'm going to split lanes, I want to be safe while doing so and have some idea of what to expect.

And yes, I too think it should be legal :)

I guess if you have to start trying it, starting at a red light wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Look ahead and make sure people cant/wont move at all and check to make sure its not about to turn green. Should probably break the ice for ya.

Swift
Thu May 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Start by doing some "filtering", then you'll begin to understand the usage and safe speed of lane splitting. If you don't know, Filtering is the act of proceeding in front of stopped cars at a traffic light to being in front of the traffic. This limits the likelihood of being run over and getting caught in traffic that doesn't see you (for whatever reason).

I usually never have a problem doing some slow speed splitting (20-25mph max) so I have plenty of time to react to an asshole. I occasionally get some but its usually because they have their head up their ass not paying attention.

The only instance I've had so far of someone even remotely being pissed off about me splitting was when someone yelled out a car window as I rode by "DUMB ASS!" to which I politely waved signaling "I don't really give a fuck".

Kevin
Thu May 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I guess if you have to start trying it, starting at a red light wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Look ahead and make sure people cant/wont move at all and check to make sure its not about to turn green. Should probably break the ice for ya.

Start by doing some "filtering", then you'll begin to understand the usage and safe speed of lane splitting. If you don't know, Filtering is the act of proceeding in front of stopped cars at a traffic light to being in front of the traffic. This limits the likelihood of being run over and getting caught in traffic that doesn't see you (for whatever reason).

I usually never have a problem doing some slow speed splitting (20-25mph max) so I have plenty of time to react to an asshole. I occasionally get some but its usually because they have their head up their ass not paying attention.

The only instance I've had so far of someone even remotely being pissed off about me splitting was when someone yelled out a car window as I rode by "DUMB ASS!" to which I politely waved signaling "I don't really give a fuck".

Sounds like good advice - I never thought of doing that. So once you're at the front, you just sit there at the red light inbetween cars and get the jump on them at the green, huh? Sounds like fun :)

Davy4575
Thu May 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Did it all the time in Cali, the drivers there are used to it. Ive had to adjust someones attitude with the helmet in Seattle, they drive like real dicks up there and appearantly feel we should wait in line. Done it here a couple times to get out of a thunderstorm. Ill weave traffic when its moving since I ride on the very far outside/inside of the lane anyway. Its kinda like splitting it, but you just do it one car at a time, go from space to space in each adjoining lane. People still get butthurt about it. Id recommend carying a gun and getting good with left handed shooting if you want to do it here, or at least carry some ballbearings or sparkplugs to throw. Ive gotten in altercations a couple times over doing it, best to be prepared.

DemonRider
Thu May 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I did it once with a Motorcop, at the end of September I was coming down I-25 and there was a huge accident @ 84th ave. A Motorcop came up "lane sharing" and waved in behind him and helped me get through all the damn backed up traffic it wasnt too bad but then again everyone was moving over anyway hehe, gave me a thumbs up once I was cleared to exit at 84th with everyone else but at that point I just continued till I got to the light then merged in with all the traffic . I take it he was probably from Cali! Haha

Oh, and No, I would not do it on a regular bases, Emergency Situation, like I'm about to get hit from behind For sure, but just to get through traffic faster, Nope, not for me! Besides the fact it's illegal I just wouldn't feel comfortable. IMO

Swift
Thu May 12th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Sounds like good advice - I never thought of doing that. So once you're at the front, you just sit there at the red light inbetween cars and get the jump on them at the green, huh? Sounds like fun :)
I don't sit in between cars. I either stay to the outside of the right lane just ahead of the guy next to me or in front of everyone pretty much on the crosswalk if there is one. 9/10 times you are the fastest thing off the line so if someone still wants to get butt hurt about it, be prepared to use your helmet as an alternative to a baseball bat.

FZRguy
Thu May 12th, 2011, 09:23 PM
You guys are begging for trouble from LEOs and the motoring public lane sharing in CO (unless an emergency as stated). Change your route, leave at a diff time, ride the back streets, etc.

Frankie675
Thu May 12th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I take my lane splitting advice from this dude...

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2qcqIO/www.youtube.com/watch%253Fv%253DXihQeZpwqpE

WolFeYeZ
Thu May 12th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Lane splitting on the double yellow with fast traffic on both sides.... GENIUS!

Swift
Thu May 12th, 2011, 10:24 PM
You guys are begging for trouble from LEOs and the motoring public lane sharing in CO (unless an emergency as stated). Change your route, leave at a diff time, ride the back streets, etc.
http://files.sharenator.com/Whining_RE_Warning-s750x600-18300.jpg

OUTLAWD
Thu May 12th, 2011, 10:29 PM

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2qcqIO/www.youtube.com/watch%253Fv%253DXihQeZpwqpE

respect.

I wonder if he covers the brake...

Kevin
Thu May 12th, 2011, 10:41 PM
... be prepared to use your helmet as an alternative to a baseball bat.

Hopefully not while it's on yer head... :bananna:

I've seen that before! IN-FRICKIN-SANE! He's a death wish waiting to happen! Music from the Matrix II LA Freeway scene - classic.

LivingPools
Thu May 12th, 2011, 11:26 PM

At least he slows down when there's opposing traffic while he's straddling the double-yellow. I guess that's something?

MetaLord 9
Fri May 13th, 2011, 07:30 AM
...or we could just wait in traffic just like everybody else and not think we're more special. :rolleyes:

Sean
Fri May 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM
...or we could just wait in traffic just like everybody else and not think we're more special. :rolleyes:
My mom says that I'm special. Does that count in this situation?

MetaLord 9
Fri May 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Only if you've got the helmet to prove it!

Bueller
Fri May 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM

What? I am not the center of the universe? I am fucking entitled!

I just don't understand the haters

Sean
Fri May 13th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Only if you've got the helmet to prove it!Yup, it's made out of tinfoil and everything! 8)

MetaLord 9
Fri May 13th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I think the last time I lane split I somehow ended up on Bueller's lawn. It did not end well.

Snowman
Fri May 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I think the last time I lane split I somehow ended up on Bueller's lawn. It did not end well.I'm sure the first think he told you was to get off it..

Darth Do'Urden
Fri May 13th, 2011, 09:53 AM

There are pros and cons to whatever vehicle one chooses to use. Cages have the benefit of more security, shelter from the elements, conditioned air, cup holders, cruise control, etc. But the cons are that they are bigger, bulkier, less agile, destined to wait like friggin' Brits in the vehicular "queue" that is bumper-to-bumper traffic, and significantly less fun.

We who embrace the bike have the cons of exposure--both weather as well as safety--no conditioned air, no cup holders or cruise control (screw those touring types =P), etc. Yet we have the benefits of smaller size, agility, speed, fun...and SHOULD have the advantage of getting through traffic a little quicker than everyone else. Commandant Obama has such a hardon for improving fuel efficiency and saving the planet, he ought to make federal accommodations for those of us who are (inadvertently or otherwise) helping in that effort. So we get to use the carpool lanes (during certain hours...what a joke)...big deal. Most of the times I've been on Santa Fe I haven't needed to use it, and sometimes it even proved to be slower. Lane-splitting and/or sharing is debatable, but filtering forward should certainly be legal, as it helps to protect the rider from what could be potentially fatal consequences.

This is far from some sort of "elitist" attitude, which you seem to indicate...and attitude that we've all come to expect from non-bikers. But coming from a fellow biker, it just seems ludicrous. Why should we have to wait in line like everyone else when we're a fraction of the size, especially when you consider that by allowing bikes to safely lane-share/split at slow speeds in heavy traffic, and to filter forward goes towards alleviating traffic congestion for EVERYONE.

Same with parking lots. I don't think I should be able to park on a wide sidewalk close to the store out of some inflated sense of entitlement. I think we should be able to in order to not take a spot that a full-size vehicle could otherwise use.

The problem with lane-splitting/sharing is that there are asshats that will do it at 75mph. It's these types that make such a bad name for the rest of us that lawmakers won't allow it, even at slower/safer speeds.

Kevin
Fri May 13th, 2011, 10:12 AM

We're....not.........special??? :shock:

MetaLord 9
Fri May 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Not arguing about what should be legal, there are good points there for sure.

Just saying that it's not legal, so until it is, people who do it are acting like they're more important than everyone else and it's ok if they break the law because they're smaller.

I have the same gripe about bicyclists. They want they're own special permission to act like cars in the canyons so you can't pass them and they're allowed to take up all of the road, but when it comes to a stop light, stop sign, or other traffic device, they're pedestrians who can ride up to the front of the line and run stop signs, etc. If you want to be treated like a motor vehicle, you're subject to the rules of operating a motor vehicle. If you don't like that, stay outta the way of cars, trucks, & motorcycles.

mdub
Fri May 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM
colorado does have those sub-humans being behind the wheel. another fact is that 1 out 3 drivers only carry insurance here in our lovely state. Yes i dont understand why a driver would want to place his car onto the shoulder to stop a motorcyclist from continuing his journey.. that happened to me before and it baffles me the thought of the idiot that did it. People are just f'ed up....

MetaLord 9
Fri May 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM
^^Could be worse. In Louisiana, -3 out of 5 people don't carry insurance. That's right. Do THAT math.

edj
Fri May 13th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Try Athens Greece... high speed lane splitting in some of the worlds heaviest traffic. The difference is the cars don't resent bikers (they probably ride too) and actually leave room for the bikes to get by and NOTICE motorcycles. It is a nice system.

The hardest thing following my greek friends was keeping from clogging the whole system because it was SCARY going nearly 100mph through dense 40mph traffic. Yet I was slow so needing to keep an eye behind so that other bikes could PASS me. My friend's bike I was riding had no mirrors so they wouldn't get broken off. A regular commute for an average greek motorcyclist would have him imprisoned in USA.

Europe does seem to treat motorcycles as a different class of vehicle able to get away with ... (anything?)

Kevin
Fri May 13th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I guess if you have to start trying it, starting at a red light wouldn't be too bad of an idea...

Start by doing some "filtering", then you'll begin to understand the usage and safe speed of lane splitting. ...

You're right, filtering is much less intimidating! Good advice, thank you!

Mother Goose
Fri May 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM
^^Could be worse. In Louisiana, -3 out of 5 people don't carry insurance. That's right. Do THAT math.
It makes sense if you don't think about it.

Davy4575
Sun May 15th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Did I read that correctly (negative 3 out of 5). Well, it does make sense. They say that if you get 32 women in a room down there, youll get a full set of teeth between em all.

Spiderman
Mon May 16th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Maybe an attentive mod could merge all these threads :idea:

What's an attentive mod? :dunno:

OUTLAWD
Mon May 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
why merge when you could simply delete?

Zach929rr
Mon May 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
lockbandelete

Sean
Mon May 16th, 2011, 07:58 PM
We have mods?

Kevin
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
De-virgin-ized!

Sitting it traffic at rush hour today at Belleview & I-25, going east just before the I-25 underpass, in the left (two) turn lanes to go north on I-25. You all know that mess of an intersaction at rush hour, right? So the light turns red and I'm hanging out into the intersection behind two other cars. So I pull myself up next to the car in front of me, just to get my ass (literally!) out of the intersection. I was feeling pretty comfy sitting between those two cars at the end of the line. Looking down that wide open space at the red light and figured why not? It looked like another little wide open lane, just for me. So I filtered my way up to the red, it turned green, I went ahead of everyone, no problems. That felt pretty good!

Up onto 225, traffic's backed up about further then I'd ever seen before - all the way back to I-25 and as far as the eye can see - all the way up over the hill to Parker Rd., no end in sight. So I take the Yosemite exit and head up to Hampden. Trying to get to Illiff & I-25, running late for an appointment, and it's starting to rain.

I get up to Hampden, and traffic's at a standstill. I rode in the left turn lane for one long stretch and slipped in at a green light, traffic still barely moving. Looking ahead again to the next red light through standstill traffic, (probably 300ft - one of those looong blocks out that way - it was a really long way, so it qualifies as splitting, not filtering!) I decided to split all the way up to the red. The lanes were narrow, and I thought I was going to clip mirrors with a couple cars, (damn bar end mirrors!) but i made it through without incident and slipped in when it turned green.

Pissed the guy off who I slipped in front of, and he layed on the horn for an unneccesarily long amount of time. I just ignored him, thinking, "Settle down, cupcake, you'll live. When you get out of that cager and onto a bike, you can do it too." Waddayaknow, life went on.

I stayed in traffic the rest of the way, because I figured I had pushed my luck enough, it was a pretty tight fit the last time, Hampden only tightens up more going around that curve into Havana, and the lines of cars get all out of whack around a curve 'cause nobody here knows how wide their cars are or how to stay in the center of a lane.

I moved slowly, looking out for anything amiss, making sure I had enough room to get by, and was polite about it - not being a squid off the green light or anything like that, and making sure I wasn't doing anything to alarm anyone. It worked out fine. I didn't give a reaction to the guy laying on the horn - after all, I'm the one in the wrong - breaking the law, attitude in check, no need to get self-rightous about anything.

I made it to my appointment on time, which wouldn't have happened had I not grown a pair. Now that I've done it, even just this little, I can see how easy it would be to unexpectedly find yourself with not enough room to feel comfortable and end up stuck in the middle there, looking (and feeling) like an idiot, not being able to slip back in. I'll save lane splitting for when traffic is open enough and it's appropriate and necessary to get through a gridlock. Filtering, I'll do more often though, that was cool!

Thanks, all, for the advice. My bigget take-away? Do it responsibly and appropriately.

WolFeYeZ
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Congrats, you got yer balls :P Now don't do it ever because it just pisses people off in the general direction of bikers X.x

Swift
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Glad you're learning. You'll find most colorado drivers either don't care or won't notice till you're in front of them and then they'll shrug it off. There are a few idiots out there that feel the need to convey their feelings about lane splitting and filtering in a manner that makes them look like full on retards but if you kill them with kindness or simply ignore them, as you said, life goes on.

Just be cautious of idiots that want to run you over after traffic has cleared. In a situation as such, either make them a small dot or let them go by. Bikes and cars don't mix.

Kevin
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Just be cautious of idiots that want to run you over after traffic has cleared. In a situation as such, either make them a small dot or let them go by. Bikes and cars don't mix.

Yeah, he was about 6 inches off my rear tire while he was on the horn. For a moment, I considered hitting the brakes and leaving a nice tire skid mark on his pretty white bumper, but traffic was still really heavy and technically, I was in the wrong, so I figured it best to just let it go.

FZRguy
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Works good til you find that one driver that runs you over on purpose.

Mother Goose
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Why won't this die?

Kevin
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Why won't this die?

Because way deep down inside, we all want to do it. :shock:

Zach929rr
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Because way deep down inside, we all want to do it. :shock:

you should go check out turn one at pueblo.

Kevin
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:55 PM
you should go check out turn one at pueblo.

I've always wanted to get to the track. Why turn one?

OUTLAWD
Tue May 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM
its a prime spot for lane sharing...among other things

Swift
Wed May 18th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I'll pass thanks.

...No wait. That didn't come out right. lol

MetaLord 9
Wed May 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM
:squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid:

Sean
Wed May 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
you should go check out turn one at pueblo.:spit:

Valguard
Wed May 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hey Goose, what exactly is lane splitting?

thankgod
Thu May 19th, 2011, 02:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQvcZlo2yo I MISS CALI SOOOOOOO MUCH. AND THEN I DON'T :siesta:

thankgod
Thu May 19th, 2011, 02:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GH8D2EqDZs&NR=1:banghead:

Penadam
Fri May 20th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I was driving today, and 5 people lane split right in front of me! I instantly could sense how cool they were, even the ones in shorts. Now I wanna lane split so hard.

Then again I am in california right now...

Kevin
Fri May 20th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I was thinking "WTF, it's been raining and 40º the last two days!

Then I read this:

Then again I am in california right now...

HAHA!

deadline
Fri May 20th, 2011, 02:02 AM
this forum is buried in sarcasm

MetaLord 9
Fri May 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM
http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-7-1085545145.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_653_4FsTEfc/TQEhN_9agoI/AAAAAAAABVk/YcIZ66fm8co/s1600/die_in_a_fire.jpg

Clovis
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I usually sit in traffic but on occasion I've lane split to the front of a line in traffic.

Coming back from Dave's memorial ride last summer I got stuck on one of the highways leaving Denver. Bumper to bumper/stopped traffic for miles to MoCo, so I split there, mainly because it was close to 100 degrees and I was dying sitting still in my all black leathers.

I've only had one guy get pissed off. On 24 coming into Divide, CO I was behind a caravan of cars. Once we hit the first stop light I opted to go to the front. A jeep in the front flipped me off and yelled something at me and then decided to rage on me by flying past me and slamming on his breaks.

I would do it regularly if it's legal just to move to the front of a stop light. I'm kind of chicken shit to do it on moving traffic. A few years ago Mrs. Clovis and I took a vacation to Southern California and our rental was a Crown Vic (a boat on wheels). The first few Harleys to split past me startled me but then I got used to it, followed by "I wish I had my bike!!"

brennahm
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Really? Really...

Come on guy.

mdub
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Good story Clovis . I split when I need to go. But I like pin-balling.

Matty
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 07:09 AM
It's Lane Sharing.... Not splitting. I miss riding in Cali. Wouldn't do it out here if you paid me.

mdub
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Patatoe tomato who cares besides you . Good for you . Ride at your limit.

Ghosty
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Never done it. First time I saw people doing it (in Cali on the Bay bridge), I was excited to try it myself, but found it was illegal here, LAME!

mdub
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Only lame if you have to pay the fine.

grim
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Won't be attempting this

biikChiQ
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I wish they would legalize it. My only fear is getting pulled over/ticketed. I've done it a handful of times on the shoulder, even though I don't like all the debris, I hate traffic on a bike even more.*
I've only done it once on the freeway going in between cars at a reasonable safe speed when traffic was at a standstill, some honked and even swerved. it is nerve racking though.

I think they did a research where they compared California to Texas & Florida (similarity in population and riding seasons), and Cali had 30% less of rear end fatalities.*

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I ran a battery dead last summer in 30 minutes of stop and go I-25 traffic. Wasn't turning enough RPM to charge the battery, meanwhile the radiator fan was running non stop to cool the engine until the battery went so dead that the engine stalled and wouldn't start.

had to work my way across 3 lanes of traffic pushing the bike uphill until I neared 58th ave and was finally able to bump start it.

point? even water cooled bikes aren't made to sit in traffic and idle all day

mdub
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Hence gotta keep moving

modette99
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I find it funny that people get worked up by the act.

Peanut_EOD
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I grew up riding in California so lane sharing is second nature to me. I've only done it a couple of times outside of California. Once in Georgia when there was an accident on I95 and my bike was heating up. People there were cool with it. I also did it once in Alabama and some redneck cousin-fucker got so pissed that he tried to run me down.

modette99
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I grew up riding in California so lane sharing is second nature to me. I've only done it a couple of times outside of California. Once in Georgia when there was an accident on I95 and my bike was heating up. People there were cool with it. I also did it once in Alabama and some redneck cousin-fucker got so pissed that he tried to run me down.

I give people the benefit of the doubt, maybe an emergency they are trying to get to like wife is pregnant and they got the call, vehicle is overheating and if it stops it will be worst for everyone, or rider is extremely hot/cold and needs to get some air flow.

I did it on Pikes Peak when they were paving, my XRR was getting up their in temps so I slowly just kept rolling on the left of everyone...I had an asshat yell at me and I just yelled back "I'm overheating asshole".

Get to the top asshat comes in and I'm standing there with my friends who by the way waited (touring bikes liquid cooled, made to sit and idle). Anyways asshat slowly walks by shooting me a nasty look, I just loudly say to my friends "look at this asshole "as I point to the guy" gets all pissed when I was overheating and would rather I kill the engine and have to kick start it on a hill and clog the whole thing for God knows how long"...the guy seemed to change his face expression after that. I think it dawned on him...oh overheating + kick start, yeah not a good thing. People are plan stupid.

It's like the people that do 10-5mph UNDER the speed limit int he left lane and then you pass on the right and they get all ticked off and try and block you or then proceed to tailgate you, I had one dude follow me up to 100mph inches off my bumper (a brake check brought him back to reality as he swerved). Obviously in my cage doing that.

I will never understand what people are thinking or lack of thinking.

RajunCajun
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I've "lane split" (call it what you want, Matty :hibye:) through 10+ miles of bumper to bumper traffic, approaching a bad accident in LA (illegal) and also did it a bunch in Cali up and down the coast. I love it! No one ever messed with me in Cali but assholes in LA get pissed because they are stuck there and I get to pass them. I've had guys try to swerve to block me off or even open their door a little. I usually like to either kick their side mirror off (back in my younger/stupid days) or maneuver to the other side of them and get on the shoulder, in front of them where they can't floor it and run me down. I then proceeded to hit the rev-limiter for enough time to sufficiently piss them off and satisfy myself. Then I'll give them the bird and pull away slowly as they breathe in my exhaust and get even more pissed. Sometimes, just sometimes, life makes me happyJ

Zach929rr
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Clovis get your shit together and quit shit posting in old threads.

Bueller
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Clovis get your shit together and quit shit posting in old threads.

Lol yeah give us a brake

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'll never understand why anyone has an issue with certain pixel arrangements (regardless of age of said pixels...lol) on a message board. These things aren't exactly taking up space in our homes, or even on our computers.

Anyhow...I like reading peoples' anecdotes about something I'd love to be able to do legally myself. Call it a little vicarious enjoyment on my part.